“Service let down our celebratory evening.” 3 of 5 stars

01954 719775
Improve this listing
Ranked #123 of 512 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: International, European, British
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Service let down our celebratory evening.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our visit was mostly based on reviews on TA. Our evening didn't start well, as there were not enough menus to go round the restaurant! We were left at our table without being asked if we wanted drinks. It was obvious the staff were struggling with the full restaurant and the timings were all wrong. The service was indifferent, and at times aloof. We were not made to feel special in any way, but more like they were doing us a favour. The starters were extremely small for the price. My husband chose the special of scallops - just 2 on a plate with accompaniments! It was over in a flash. Hardly worth a £7 pricetag, My starter of goats cheese cake with beetroot crisps tasted lovely but again was very small. We then waited nearly 50 minutes for our main to arrive. We were so hungry at this point! My lamb was very good - pink and tender. The savoy cabbage with bacon was a bit salty for me. My husband's salmon special with smoked salmon mousse and poached duck egg was delicous. The desserts were OK. Bread and butter pudding was chewy and not great presentation. My chocolate delice had too much gelatin in it, but I liked the marshmallow lolly and cream soda. The food in general here is good, but overpriced for a gastro pub. The service needs sorting out. In this day and age, spending close to £90 for 2 people does not warrant irreverent service. Although an apology was offered upon paying our bill, it wasn't heartfelt, but more out of obligation.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Glad to have it in the village”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I went for lunch midweek. It has a nice ambience and decor. The food was good, though not inexpensive. The thing I would like to see improved is the staff friendliness. The last place I eat in in the staff obviously liked working there and I didn't get that here. We had 2 waitresses. One was fine, the other I thought was very cool and unsmiling and just put up with what I asked. Having said that I live in the village and am glad to have a pub here. It also offers various themed evenings and events which I am sure people are glad of.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
canterbury
“beautiful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Loved the shabby chic design, staff very polite, food excellent, presentation perfect,not too expensive, nice in summer months as very nice area outside, advise booking very popular, lovely atmosphere.

Visited April 2013
“Fantastic atmosphere, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Friends recommended the willow tree and absolutely loved it. Great food especially the lamb!! friendly, attentive staff and quirky decor. Great atmosphere and Will be returning very soon!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

First time at Willow Tree last weekend, for a friend's party. Super canapes and delicious buffet dinner. Lois and the team really friendly and helped create a great atmosphere. Will definitely return to try it for lunch or dinner.

Visited April 2013