“simple and great” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
cambridge
“simple and great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

When I went, they had an early dinners offer during the working week.
The service is polite and relatively quick, even when very busy. The price is average. The food tastes fresh and great, and there is a good variety of choices. I particularly liked the red curry and the tapioca to finish. They are accommodating if you want to try a meal but would like it less spicy than it is normally.
The only time I was not happy was when a misunderstanding took place when taking an order (got green curry instead of red); I overlooked it because it was noisy and I may not have said it terribly loud. Been there over 10 times, and the rest of the times was great.
It may seem on the outskirts on a map, but there is a short cut (too dark if night, possibly), from Mill Lane, crossing the river and aiming for the Italian restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to write a good review of our restaurant we are happy that you have returned so many times . We are sorry about the red / yellow curry mix up and hope our staff dealt with this promptly for you.

Kind regards
Sala Thong

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great value lunch & best Pa-Neang Curry in Cambridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

As a Thai, I've been here many times. I would say, over all, this is the best Thai restaurant in central Cambridge. To maximise your enjoyment, here are some tips:

(1) If you're on a budget but want to eat out, try go there for lunch. It has good selection for lunch menu (including decent noodle soup) at a great price; you'd pay around 10 pounds or less in total for an a la carte together with a drink. Make sure you go there soon after 12.00 as the place fills up quickly most days. It closes at 14.30 and re-opens again at 18.00.

(2) They have a different dinner menu - more expensive than the lunch of course, but not unreasonably so. I strongly recommend "Gang Panang" with Chicken or Pork (8 pounds) (creamy/nutty/aromatic red curry with chicken) - this is the best I've tasted out of all 3 Thai restaurants in central Cambridge. Make sure you call in to make reservation to save yourself from waiting/disappointment.

(3) Order the mixed appetiser platter to share between 2-3 people; it is reasonably priced with good taste. It will come with two sauces - sweet chilli dip (for fried wonton and spring roll) and creamy/nutty satay dip (for satay skewers). Avoid dipping food into the wrong sauce, otherwise the flavours you get will not be authentic and you won't bring out the best taste in the food.

(4) Pad Thai is really not authentic and I don't like it because it is too moist and sweet for me, but many foreigners seem to like it.

(5) Do NOT order Gai Yang Khaw Niew (BBQ chicken with sticky rice) there!! It tastes horrible and is nothing like the original Gai Yang. If you wanna try good Gai Yang - go to another Thai restaurant in Cambridge - Mai Thai near Parkers Piece.

(6) Avoid your temptation to order wine with your meal; Thai foods are not designed to go well with wine sadly. Try Thai beers there, they complement Thai food perfectly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our restaurant. We appreciate the time taken and
Hope to see you visit us in the near future
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

When I was a postgraduate student at Cambridge this was a favourite restaurant and one of Professor Stephen Hawking's haunts. The early evening deal of main course, side dish and pudding is a great deal at £9.90, the tapioca is especially good, but try anything, it's all delicious. Good choice also for vegans and vegetarians, and friendly efficient service. They also do punt picnics from the nearby Granta pub.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to give our restaurant a lovely review. You have been coming to our restaurant for many years now it seems . We look forward to seeing you in the future .
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've recently organised a hen weekend for my friend in Cambridge, and as she is such a Thai food lover it was a no brainier to book a Thai restaurant. This restaurant had been recommended to me by a friend who works in the area, so I thought I'd give it ago. When I called to book a table a really friendly lady answered and as I told her the occasion she recommended we also book a punt,which they are happy to organise for you. Thinking we eat then have a trip on the punt I was very excited, but she then told me they can organise for the food to be put onto the punt as we are(punted) around. So now I'm even more excited!!! They were so helpful with the organisation of this for me, I was really grateful. As far as I'm aware there are
set menus to chose from for this experience, which we done. We arrived on the day not knowing what to expect and was lead just a few meters away to our awaiting punt, it was already set out beautifully with cutlery,ice buckets glasses etc THEN THE FOOD ARRIVED!!! OMG!!!! So much and what a selection the food was by far the best Thai I had ever eaten, and my 10 other hens agreed. We literally couldn't eat it quick enough, and to say we made everyone else punting that day jealous with our banquet (they had dried up sandwiches and warm cava) was an understatement. Really amazing food and such a lovely experience. I've since been back with my children just to eat the food and again everyone agreed it was delicious.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi, thanks for the lovely review we are glad your Hen party had a lovely experience . And that you have returned since your punt trip.we look forward to seeing you again if you are in Cambridge.
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food - Authentic, Thai food at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but such was the quality of the food I wanted to make a point on this place. I took my partner to Cambridge for the weekend and we stumbled across this restaurant at the end of the river after taking a nice walk, being lovers of Thai food we decided to try it out. It was quite a busy afternoon but we managed to get seated promptly. The restaurant is cute over two floors and is staffed by local Thai staff which gives it a nice original feel. I've been to Thailand and many Thai restaurant but the food here is with out a doubt some of the best I've tasted in the UK. A good selection of original dishes and authentic ingredients. The food came out in good time, was freshly cooked and the staff were attentive even though the restaurant looked full. It wasn't over priced as many restaurant these days tend to take advantage of the average customer.

I will surly re-visit this restaurant if we come back to Cambridge and I would happily recommend you gave it a try if you like Thai food. :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi , thanks for the glowing review. Hope to see you visit sala thong in the newr future