“What can I say - just amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 510 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
“What can I say - just amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visited Midsummer House last night (Saturday, 12 October) - what an experience! We are somewhat veterans of Michelin star dining, and Midsummer House did not fail to live up to Daniel Clifford and team's awesome reputation. We were torn between the Market Menu and the tasting menu as both had equally amazing sounding dishes on them, but opted for the tasting menu and, boy, are we glad we did - although writing this at 11am the following day and still full! ;0) The dishes included some fantastic flavour combinations that you would not necessarily think would go together but worked terrifically well, which is a testament to the gastronomic genius that has earned the restaurant 2 Michelin stars. Of particular note were the scallops (one of Daniel's signature dishes), roast quail and Wagyu beef with braised oxtail. The puddings were also out of this world, but we were so full at the end that we couldn't manage the handmade chocolates, so the front of house team very kindly boxed up a selection for us to take home - it's little touches like this that mean that they deserve a special mention. We had a lovely chat with Simon about restaurants we had both been to, and where we would like to go next and the sommelier (sorry, can't recall his name!) had picked a superb "flight of wines" to accompany each course - the dry Muscat was an absolute revelation! Would love to go back and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for really special food and service.

Visited October 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Cambridges best just keeps getting better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is my third visit to midsummer house and i am pleased to report that it has got better with every visit. I dropped them an email in the morning on the off chance they would be able to fit us in that evening and they did. We had the taste of midsummer tasting menu and every course was amazing. Id be hard pushed to pick a favourite but the new beef dish they had on the menu was glorious. The staff were perfect, very friendly and happy to take about the food and obviously very proud of working in such a great team at a restaurant at the very top of its game. Cant Wait to return.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“As good as it gets...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Overall and excellent experience, second timing dining here, a little of the wonderment and surprise is diminished second time but I think that’s the case with most places. We had the Taste of Midsummer with matching wines. Wines were varied, interesting , well selected and generously served. Food was superb throughout the menu, faultless, highlights were the quail dish with smoked quail eggs and the lemon posset pre-dessert which was a taste, texture and temperature sensation. Service was friendly, welcoming and efficient, some staff were a little shy but that’s ok. My only slight gripes which are minor in comparisons to the positives are that the taste of midsummer menu is a big undertaking 9-10 course with 7-8 wines, I had had barely any lunch and I was struggling by then end, could do with 1 less dish, which leads me to think that the taste of the market menu maybe the better option, it certainly had more theatre in its presentation, the mushroom consommé prepared at the table and the roasted beetroot, served from a mini green egg had us watching the other tables more than our own food sometime. Lastly on a more practical note, if anyone is trying to visit midsummer house from London for a midweek dinner, its tough timing, first table is at 7pm and last train is 10.30, which I made by the skin of my teeth and only by rushing the last two courses and skipping coffee, if you are going to this kind of expense I would recommend finding a local hotel rather than trying to get there and back in an evening.

I would definitely return, but on a weekend, and probably for lunch where you can have a “small” 4 or 5 course menu! But in terms of cuisine and overall experience well deserving 2 stars and as good as if not better than anything on offer in London.

• Visited October 2013
Shanghai, China
“Always Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a wonderful place for a special meal. You will pay a price for it for sure, but it is worth the money. I have been many times with my wife and the menu variety and quality is hard to match. I would highly recommend trying to come for lunch: a very similar menu for a much better price!

• Visited December 2012
Ely, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you live in the area, love great food then this is a must to visit ;-) My wife and I went for a birthday lunch treat and had the taster menu "taste of Midsummer". Like everyone I guess, not every course was to our taste but even so it was an experience and enjoyable to identify some of the unadvertised flavours. Having said that the English Pee, Mackerel, Scallop and Lamb courses where an absolute delight. The wine too was excellent, our favourites being the Esk Valley Pinot Noir and the Sauska ate harvest with the Lemon posset dessert.

Service was excellent [a little less stuffy than GR's London restaurants] and the atmosphere relaxed.

All in all an enjoyable and memorable birthday feast!

• Visited July 2013