“Fine accomodations in a good location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Railway Lodge Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Railway Lodge Guest House
You added Railway Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   150 Tenison Road, Cambridge CB1 2DP , England   |
Ranked #24 of 118 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Pacific Northwest, USA
“Fine accomodations in a good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Upon arrival, I was a bit surprised to see that the Railway Lodge was in a semi-residential area. A quiet area near the train station, but quite close to shops and restaurants. In fact, it was less than 5 minutes walk to the train station. I took the coach out of town, and that was about 10 minutes walk to the bus terminus. All in all, a nice location.
Mr. King was a very genial guy, and had a great sense of humor.
I lucked out and got a room on the top floor, which had a neat view. The room itself was nice a homy with all the amenities I needed---it was perfect for a solo traveller, though a couple could make it work as well. While the walls seemed a touch thin, I had no issues at all with noise.
To be frank I was a touch bummed that I wasn't staying right in the middle of town. All concerns were dashed when it only took about a 15-20 leisurely walk into the heart of cambridge. In fact, after a brief walk down Tenison I found a little street with all sorts of little restaurants, shops, and a pub which was convenient. Catching a bus to the center of town was also quite straightforward, though I did not have any trouble whatsoever stumbling home from a wedding reception either.
The breakfast was quite nice, with full english offerings or more continental styles---when faced with the option of a bacon butty though, I could do little but to acquiesce, and I did not regret it one whit.
Overall, a fine place to stay, and I would certainly come back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jyväskylä
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in Railway Lodge and have to say that it was more then perfect place. Facilities were beautiful and clean and the location is perfect. The owner is very helpful and friendly. If I ever get to Cambridge again, I will definitely choose this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Collogne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My fellows and stayed in the RL for 3 times while we were in Camebridge (we are originally from Germany) for studing. We allways had a great time being there. Mr. King is a great host, who has always an open ear for the wishes of his guest. Perfect for us was the place because ist is near to the railway station and to the university (ARU).

So thanks Mr. King for the nice and pleasant stays. We will comeback.

B. Reinhardt, Collogne, Germany

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Lithgow, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We enjoyed our stay here. It was conveniently close to the railway station. The manager, Tony, was friendly, helpful and had a great sense of humour. The room was clean and the breakfast was more than adequate. We had a family room which was very comfortable. Would certainly return.

Stayed November 2008
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

It was the worst B&B my wife and I have ever stayed on our trip. We can’t see why it was rated a 3-Star guest house by Cambridge Tourism Board. The rating is certainly not commensurate with its quality and conditions.

First of all, the woman host lied to us on a phone enquiry promising us that we would be able to park our car for free, but then, upon our arrival, claimed that the only all parking spaces had been reserved for different uses. The male host even said that he did not mind if we left. He spoke in an arrogant way showing that he didn’t care about his guests. We did not leave and had to park our car on-street because it was not easy to find a room elsewhere in peak seasons in a famous tourist spot.

Secondly, the hosts insisted that we were not allowed to check in before the agreed time of 14:00 even it was already 13:30. It seemed that they were not flexible in managing their business. While waiting for checking in, we were left ‘unattended’.

The reception room was very dark and the hosts turned on only a small lamp which gave a very dim light. They turned on a brighter one only when they wanted to write something. It was turned off immediate after their writing work. We think that we were not welcome. The carpet has dull colour and the walls of the room were covered with wood. Everywhere was dark and old. That gave us a feeling that the house was extremely dirty. We dared not

We were asked to pay for our room shortly after we had entered our room. The hosts did not trust their guests and behaved like misers.

We asked for a twin or double room but were giving one being occupied by 3 beds. The hosts claimed that it was the only room left. The room was big but there was only very small space because there were 3 single beds inside. The ceiling was low and the lights were so close to us and they made the room very hot.

We will never go back staying in this particular guest house, not even for free.

Final comments:
The hosts were dishonest, unfriendly and arrogant. The house was dark, filthy and poorly furnished.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — hosts
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bannister45, Owner & operator at Railway Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, November 16, 2008
What amuses me about this review is its figurative language and narrative style. However, the use of descriptive words such as 'arrogant' , 'miser', 'dingy' and 'dirty' point to its spitefulness and vengeful nature.
I remember these guests very well. At the very outset, they made a big issue out of the fact that there was no parking space and became so tiresome over the matter ... making a mountain out of a molehill ... that I indeed offered them the opportunity to look elsewhere, without obligation. I wasn't up for prolonged confrontation on a hot summer's day. There was no space in the car park and that was that ... we couldn't change the fact, regardless of what might have been promised. By the way, the internal lights were turned low to combat the excessive heat, that day.

Anyway, they finally decided to stay and were asked to pay upfront (in view of their cantankerous protests earlier). In return they got - a large, clean and comfortable family room, all the usual hospitality supplies, polite and respectful service (in spite of what the review implies), a tasty, well-cooked, full English breakfast , fond farewells and I would say excellent value for the money paid - £60 GBP.

The review contrarily suggests a totally unsatisfactory and negative experience which I find very surprising. I feel that the real motivation here is an attempt to generate negative inferences about 'RL' because they may have lost face, when the staff didn't 'kowtow' to them upon arrival.

That RL is a 'dirty' establishment is a blatant untruth which I refute totally. I am sorry that the guests who wrote this review had such negative feelings that they felt it necessary to put us to the sword - metaphorically speaking, of course!

However, we are still in business and they are welcome to return when they next visit Cambridge.

Anthony King
Owner & operator
16 NOV 2008
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We stayed here for one night so we could go out drinking and not have to worry about driving the 40 miles home, or getting an extremely expensive cab.

We thought the guest house was just fine for what we wanted. The decor is very dated, but we weren't planning on doing anything in our room other than sleeping, so who cares? The main things were there - the room was very clean, no dust or cobwebs, the sheets and towels smelt freshly laundered, the bathroom was spotless, the radiator and shower both worked, and there was a TV. Breakfast was lovely.

The location is good, extremely close to the railway station, and a 20 min or so walk from town, but buses go backwards and forwards from the station every 10 minutes for £1 so if you don't want to walk, you don't have to.

The one main issue was that as this is a converted house, all the rooms are off the main staircase, rather than as you might find in a hotel, off a separate corridor. We were therefore woken when the first people started going down for breakfast at 7:30. No-one was particularly loud but the sound of voices and footsteps carries in a place like this. I think I would take earplugs if I stayed here again.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Awoken by other guests in the morning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

The location is very good if you're travelling by train - maybe 5 minutes walk from the station. I left by coach - the place to catch the coaches is maybe 15 minutes walk. Takes quite awhile to walk into where the colleges are, 20-25 minutes at least. Due to its proximity to the train station there are quite a few buses though that come and go from the centre of Cambridge.

The fellow running the place is very nice. I had a huge room all to myself - a single and a double bed, ensuite with shower, tv, clock radio, table, chair, dresser, night stands, wardrobe closet, lamps. I slept in the double which was fine for me since I slept diagonally, but it had a huge dip in it so I doubt it would be comfortable for 2 people. Room was clean, with lots of nice soap and shampoo.

Breakfast was very good, and kept me going for most of the day. No phone in room but one in lobby where you can make and receive calls. Free wifi was absolutely wonderful, and what pushed this room to the above average category from average for me. I was on a tight budget and would go back, but I would check around for other places in Cambridge also to see if I could get a better room for same or cheaper.

• Liked — free wifi
  • Disliked — the dip in the double bed and the distance into the centre of cambridge
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Railway Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!