“An educational visit” 5 of 5 stars

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
3 attraction reviews
“An educational visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We chose this venue on a rainy day. We spent some time in the 3 display rooms. My daughters 17 & 14 learnt quite a lot of the development of the computer age.
Well worth the visit.

• Finnish first
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“Unique must-see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

A Unique presentation of the major points in the history of the computer, both in the home and work.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Nostalgia Overload!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

As someone who has used Computers and consoles for well over 30 years, this had to be visited as soon as I could manage.

When I first walked into the museum, I was greeted by the familiar sound of Sega Rally being enjoyed by a couple of young lads sat on a sofa, my eyes wandered round the first room, a ZX80, Vic 20, Atari XEGS, MSX, I knew i was going to enjoy this, and so will anyone else who knows what they are, after a quick play on the working machines, and a look at the static exhibits in this room, including a cabinet full of early mobile phones and another with some of the oldest digital cameras, I made my way through to the largest room, this has a very impressive collection of computers of all ages, from the colossal tape driven machines, straight out of a '70's sci fi film, to the humble, but much loved ZX Spectrum, there are a host of machines that can be played in here too, from the Sinclair ZX81, through to the Acorn Archimedes, and an Amstrad Mega PC, I could not resist a sit in the Sinclair C5, the infamous tiny car Sir Clive Sinclair unleashed upon the world.

After giving each of the computers a go, I then turned my attention to the various consoles set up for play, from the Atari VCS, right up to the Nintendo Gamecube, very little is out of bounds here, the exhibits are here to be touched, used and enjoyed, no stuffy museum feel here, there were a fair few people in the room, most complete strangers to each other, but all sharing memories of their youths, and showing their children how great things used to be.

There is a third room set up like an 1980's classroom, with desks lined up with BBC B Micros, and a booklet next to each for visitors to try their hand at a bit of simple programming.

There is still work to do here, hence the temporarily reduced, and extremely good value for money IMO entrance fee of just £5, I was here a good couple of hours, and I shall return soon, it is fun for us older people who used these machines in our youth, but both educational and fun for younger people too, documenting the history of the Micro computer from it's humble beginnings to the multi billion pound industry it is today, and all in Cambridge, where for the UK at least the story began with Sincair and Atom.

This is an excellent start for this new museum, a bit more information is needed on some of the machines, but I am sure this will come,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Can't help but make you smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

For someone of my age who was brought up with ZX81 and BBC micros, remembering the technologies from the 1980s, I was like a kid in a candy store when I visited the centre. It is amazing to see all the stuff they have, some of which I never thought I would see again. It is a real fun place, not only looking back at older technology but helping to train the younger generation about programming and other very useful skills.

A really worthwhile place to visit whilst in Cambridge. The place is rather 'kooky', unlike a museum, more like a adult play-area.