“Great mushroom burger and beer” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #130 of 503 restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Contemporary
london
“Great mushroom burger and beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I ordered the 'shroom burger with a little trepidation, as the interpretation of this dish varies widely in my experience, however the first bite allayed my fears... Delicious!

The service was nothing special (but adequate), however the combination of food (very good chips, by the way) plus several excellent beers on tap give this establishment a clear 4* rating. Will return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
cambridge
“Unusual Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The Hopbine is a traditional old Cambridge pub 20metres from the nearest car park, 100metres from either of 2 bus stops. It appears to be a pub with a split personality in that lunchtime is very quiet and evenings canbe raucous.
Serving various real ales, it has a rather unusual menu. My favourites are the burgers. Real, genuine, made on site burgers. I think I have tried all they have to offer hereand settled on the chorizo and jalapeño burger.
Please keep in mind that this is a pub with good food, NOT a restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Came to grafton centre Cambridge shopping and needed to find a place for lunch. Saw a board for the hopbine and called in. It was burger Monday, had two lush burgers on buy one get one for £1 and we were really pleased we called in. Can highly recommend it was great!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Local Pub, Very Good Food, and Friendly Patrons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I came here on a weekday evening after work for Dinner. Their selection of beers and ciders on tap weren't extensive but what they had was good. I ordered their fish and chips. The fish was cooked perfectly and well above my expectations. It was better than the fish and chips I had at Loch Fyne. The chips and the peas were nothing spectacular but were well prepared.

The person I dined with had one of their burger specials which looked really good and he said it tasted as good as it looked.

Food wise, this was one of the best (and friendliest) local pub I've visited so far in Cambridge.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wish this was my local!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

When people walk past your table and actually stop to ask what you're eating, you know it's something out of the ordinary. We popped into the Hopbine for a drink before going onto another restaurant a few months ago and were amazed at the platters being delivered to the table next door. So amazed that we determined to eat at the Hopbine on our next visit to Cambridge. We dropped in on a Saturday evening and all three of us ordered the Surf and Turf Black Rock Grill. So a description - take a thick wooden platter about the size of a tea tray, add a big chunk of impossibly hot granite, pop an 8oz steak on the rock, serve with a generous bowl of chips, sweet chilli dressed leaves, peppers and onions and deep fried wrapped king prawns. Yum. Tip number one: choose a large table as the platters are huge. Tip number two: remove your steak from the rock so it doesn't overcook and pop the peppers and onions on instead. The rock stays sizzling hot right till the end of the meal and the whole production is quite eye catching. Several people stopped to ask what we were having and looked pretty envious. The staff are lovely and friendly and the place is clean. At £45 for the three of us including a drink we will definitely return!

• Visited August 2013