“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Cambridge

You added Holiday Inn Express Cambridge to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 - 17 Coldham Business Park | Norman Way, Cambridge CB1 3LH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A good hotel. Very good service, clean room. Bar prices higher than expected. The only negativum was a constant machinery noise, coming from the hotel an clearly heard in the room. I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with trip.ru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A relatively late booking meant a limited choice, otherwise it is hard to imagine going out of one's way to stay at this hotel - and it is out of the way; necessitating taxi rides into the centre of town.
Our room smelt faintly of disinfectant (never a good sign) on entry, despite the ventilation slit being open on the window frame.
Mostly functional (and none the worse for that) the room did its job, the shower was ok - although some of the grouting in the bathroom was beginning to go brown.
Internet is charged by the hour: why, why, why when nearly every bar in Cambridge has free wifi?
And finally, despite its remote location, which one might imagine would at least be quiet, I was woken up by the sound of something swooshing past the window - not sure what, although I note that the hotel is in close proximity to the airport.

Room Tip: I would not recommend 110.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'am dismayed to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations. With regards to your comments related to room cleaning, I have forwarded your comments to Housekeeping department and I assure you that all necessary actions will be taken. With regards to internet, we like other hotels charge for internet in the room and free wifi is available in the lounge area.We are approximately 2 miles out of the town with easy access into town by taxi's or bus.

Myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you in near future.

Kind Regards
Sushil Gupta
Epping, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I liked this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. We just stayed one night because we were christmas shopping. The room was well-appointed and comfortable. Some touches were very nice such as the dim blue lights that you can leave on in the bathroom so you can find your way to it in the night. The bar/breakfast area was really clean and spacious. I was particularly impressed with the breakfast. All of the surfaces in the buffet area were spotless. Normally breakfast buffets turn my stomach a bit because people leave them dirty but in this case, everything was beautiful. The spoon in the yoghurt bowl was clean. All in all, it was a very satisfactory night's rest.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
rochester kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

stayed here for 3 nights when visiting Cambridge. An excellent hotel for disabled visitors. Bedroom (114) was spacious and bathroom (wet room) excellent. Room was clean and well maintained. The only very slight crit would be toilet was rather low and no biscuits! Hotel staff extremely helpful, courteous and attentive. Breakfast was good and hot food hot, which does make a change. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here whilst my husband was admitted to Addenbrookes Hospital and found the place cold and unwelcoming. It felt like I was staying in a motorway service station. Everything from the size of the rooms to the so called bar, which is no more than a kiosk, feels pared down to the bare minimum. My evening meal was obviously dumped on the plate directly from a microwave package and the breakfast was minimal. The lift was tiny and slower than a snail and the public walkways smelt stale. My room was clean and the bed comfortable but it really was like sleeping in a cupboard. The worst part of the stay were the staff who without exception could barley be bothered to make eye contact when dealing with you.

I understand that the concept of the 'Express' chain is to provide a simple hotel service but this place takes it a step too far and is far too expensive for the experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'am dismayed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. I would like to highlight that the size of the room and bar are as per Holiday Inn Express brand standards and will be same thoughtout the country.

With regards to your comments relating to lift, public area and staff, please be rest assured necessary steps will be taken to ensure our customers receive high quality service. I assure you that this is not a normal standard of service at the Holiday inn Express Cambridge.

I hope this wll not deter you from staying with us in future. myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Kind Regards

Sushil Gupta
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here recently alone on business. As a Platinum Priority Club Member I have stayed in numerous HI hotels and so have a decent basis on which to form a judgement.

Firstly the receptionists were too busy chatting to each other to even acknowledge my arrival. Upon check as usual asked for the complimentary upgrade. This was not possible (it is about 1 in 5 that this is sucessful so no biggie there). But I was given a Free drink at the bar which was a nice touch.

I then got to my room which was a Twin despite booking a double. I queried this at reception and was told this was all they had (I found this difficult to belive at 7.30pm). Anyway I figured what the heck - its only one night. I made my way to the "restaurant" - I use the term loosely - and attempted to track down a menu. There were 4 menus in the whole dining room and people were genuinely taking it in turns to read them.

I went to place my order and the lady behind the bar took half my order and then wandered off halfway through.

When the "food" arrived I was greeted with what I presume was once some kind of burger but had been delivered to my table via the crematorium. this was served with chip (hard to get wrong) and a bowl of red slop which was allegedly salsa. There was not a lettuce leaf or anything resembling a garnish though I just presumed these these had not survived and were a victim of the cremation process.

I ate what I could and sloped off to my single bed. Lucky for me I had the choice of which single bed to pick.

After a rubbish nights sleep I got up and attempted to iron my shirt with the worlds worst iron. I then checked out. No sign of a "Good Morning!" or "Did you have a nice stay Sir". It was very much a case of pay and go away.

I have complianed through the brand compliants channels though a friend of mine that worlds for the brand says they don't do anything about them anyway so its all pretty pointless.

Hence venting on here.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone based on this stay. Still I suppose its better than sleeping in the car.

Room Tip: Well asking for a double doesn't seem to get you anywhere...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LASomerston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time in completing a review it is only by frank honest reviews that we can address any issues and achieve our goal of being a brand of great hotels guests love.
I will try to address each one of your concerns as best as I am able, as a platinum member you are entitled to an upgrade to the next available room type this is only available in our Holiday Inn or Crown Plaza brands as Holiday Inn express only has one standard of room type but is subject to availability this is one of the reasons we have made the decision in offering our most loyal members a complimentary drink.
I’m sorry the level of service and food were not up to our normal standards I will certainly address the areas you have mentioned and look into changing our current burger specification to include a salad garnish.
I can assure you that our guest relations department does take guest complaints very seriously and not only escalates them directly to the hotels but also uses them for measurement of guest satisfaction at each and every hotel in the brand family

Suchil Gupta
Polegate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The traffic in Cambridge on a Saturday is dire and as this hotel is right on the outskirts past an Industrial estate and Trading Estate it is difficult to get to round a complex one way system.

The welcome in the reception area was not good - two members of staff chatting to each other for a full 3 minutes before looking up and saying "are you alright there"! It is very modern and clean, if a little soulless but we were only stopping briefly before going into Cambrdige. It was a £10 taxi ride away to the centre.

When we returned the door key card wouldn't work and I had to return to reception where they changed it without a word of apology.

It was good value but think next time I would want something nearer the centre and if you add the £20 for taxis you could probably afford it!

Room Tip: As it is right out on an industrial estate there are no nearby distractions - nor views so I guess t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I’m sorry you had difficulty in getting to the hotel and the welcome was not of our usual standard, I will address this personally. While the hotel is situated just outside the city centre, many of our travelers prefer the convenience of not having to drive through the congested city choosing to be able to park for free at the hotel use a taxi and explore the historic city by foot or readily available public transport.

Suchil Gupta

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge? Share your experiences!