“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whitehouse Lane, Cambridge CB3 0LX, England   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great place to go for a special occasion as they make you feel special and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Dined there for our anniversary and they made special 'Happy Anniversary' sayings on our dessert plates! Love the service and quality of food...a wonderful experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Invited to celebrate brother's birthday. Lunch is good value and quality of food is excellent with good choice of wine. Lovely venue. In summer you can eat on veranda overlooking garden. Would be good venue to consider for weddings, family celebrations or dinner with overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I'm glad that your brother chose to celebrate his Birthday in a suitably stylish venue and that you all had a wonderful time. Indeed, Hotel Felix is a wonderfully romantic and inspirational venue for weddings and a variety of special occasions, whatever the time of year. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Felix is a pretty hotel with friendly staff.
I was staying the night on business and arrived at 2.15/30 having missed lunch, to be told that the restaurant had closed at 2.00. I was hungry and wanted a proper lunch and was told I could have room service. Unhappy with this I arranged to have lunch in the restaurant on the room service menu.

I should of had a sandwich!

The soup of the day which was the only starter was be beetroot which is an acquired taste. Sweet onion soup was found which was creamy and sweet.

The only hot main was a beef casserole totally devoid of taste. Yuck! I should of sent it back but was too hungry.

Maybe desert would be better? Nope all I could find was cheese at £8.50! For this I had a few slithers of cheese, liked pretty but inadequate.

Then lunch had its revenge on me. How I got Deli belly in Cambridge......?

The meeting room and private dinner was nice, as was the bar and breakfast this morning. But oh that lunch was horrible.

So a mixed review and a warning to avoid lunch if you arrive after 2.00pm.

• Stayed November 2012
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. This is an issue which could have been dealt with better in person, which in fact you did. In your words ‘It’s better to talk about it now rather than reading about it on Tripadvisor’.

You arrived last Thursday afternoon at about 2.30pm requesting lunch. Our Receptionist informed you that Graffiti Restaurant closes at 2pm, but that you could choose from our Afternoon Tea Menu or from our Room Service Menu. You seemed unhappy with this choice and in her usual helpful way, our receptionist said that she would call Chef to check whether he could prepare a hot dish from our Café Bar Menu. Apparently you declined this offer and said that you would choose from the Room Service Menu and eat in the Orangery. I do apologise, but this menu is not as full and varied as our Restaurant Menu. I am sorry that the soup was not too your liking and that the Blade of Beef was ‘tasteless and horrible'. This dish is usually very tender and one of our best sellers. We have, however, taken heed of your comment of offering an additional hot dish to our Room Service Menu.

I am also sorry to hear that you got ‘deli belly’ following your lunch, but was delighted that you made a speedy recovery and that you were able to enjoy dinner and drinks with your colleagues in the Bar a few hours later. You spoke to the Duty Manager that evening saying that 'dinner was wonderful and that you thoroughly enjoyed it’.

You omitted to include in your review that we removed £16.50 from your lunch bill, in addition to your service charge.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
lowestoft
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very nice
Food was superb some of the best I have tasted in worldwide hotels
But was totally let down by one incident, like some early morning risers & keen to get off shopping I made the careless error of not checking the bathroom !!!
Only to get home & find I had left my wash bag in the bathroom
Gutted as it had a brand new bottle of CK encounter & 25 pound of new razors purchased that day
Contacted the hotel to be told, bizarrely it wasn't found, now make of it what you want but I know no cleaner is going to throw that lot in the bin !
Very nice nice hotel & after spending 385.00 for a nice meal & room, I feel very aggrieved by what happened next.
I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone when some thing dishonest has happened like this

• Stayed November 2012
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Felix and thank you for being so complimentary about the food which we serve in our award-winning restaurant. I am, however, sorry to hear about the loss of your toilet bag. I understand that you have been in contact with our General Manager and Housekeeping Manager, who have both failed to find any trace of it. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager this morning, who assured me that the members of staff working the day of your departure have been employed by the hotel for about two years. She trusts them infinitely and would have no reason not to do so. Items that they have handed in to lost property in the past have included a passport, a gold tie pin and a designer watch. They have looked throughout the hotel, including the bins, and no toilet bag has been found.

To accuse our members of staff of theft and dishonesty without evidence is a defamatory issue and one that I am not comfortable with. Did you perhaps leave your toilet bag in the taxi? Perhaps check with the taxi company or lost Property at Cambridge Police Station.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently had our small, intimate wedding at the Hotel Felix as we had eaten there a few times and loved the food and ambiance. For our small wedding we found them hugely helpful, caring and flexible fitting in with our changing numbers and requirements. The staff were both attentive and discreet and the setting proved ideal for our photographer. All in all we could not have chosen a better local venue for our special day

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Firstly, congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you so much for choosing Hotel Felix for your special day. I am delighted that everything went to plan and that you were looked after like king and queen. We look forward to welcoming you back for a romantic dinner sometime in the future.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Only stayed one night, but were very impressed with the 'can do' attitude from all the very friendly staff that we encountered. Wanted family and single/ double rooms and for very reasonable supplement had two junior suites. Television watching in the bath takes some beating!! Very quiet at night despite a wedding party taking place.Went to Cambridge for family 50th wedding anniversary and had family meal with 3 small children to cater for in the hotel in the evening. Nothing too much trouble for the staff and so consequently all the adults had a great time too. Good breakfast in front of open fire on the Sunday. Worth staying just outside City centre as public transport good and taxi very reasonable price into City centre. Parking in City very very expensive!!

• Stayed October 2012
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Felix, and on behalf of the team here, we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you next come to Cambridge.
Ilsington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night as a quick 'escape' from London and to have a weekend away together. We were really keen to go to a 'boutique' hotel, which in our minds is a hotel where all the rooms have character and are not cookie-cutter or travel-lodge type and a hotel where you want to stay there rather than just sleeping there. On arrival we did begin to wonder as the majority of the building (not shown in the website photos) is actually quite modern and is a large additional wing that has been attached to the original building. So, hoping for the best we checked in after previously dropping off our baggage first to have a stroll through gorgeous Cambridge. At this stage I have to add that the reception staff were absolutely fantastic and possibly head and shoulders above the best thing about the hotel. Our room, unfortunately, was not boutique in the slightest. Standard size with en-suite and nothing particularly remarkable about it. OK, it was a bit better than a standard business travel hotel, but certainly not anything like we thought we'd be getting given the website images. After a bit of clever and swift conversation with the reception we were moved to another room on the ground floor. This was huge, had a massive bed, lofted ceiling and walk in shower in a lovely bathroom. Altogether much better. However, I know that this room was far above the rate we were paying and ordinarily we would not have been put here (the TV in the bathroom was not working - which we did not mind at all). So my point is that the hotel professes to be boutique combined with contemporary, when in fact it appears that the normal rooms are simply ordinary and not very boutique or characterful. The hotel itself didn't really seem to invite you to hang around and discover its charms and the bar looked like something out of 1980's interior designers nightmare.

Next, and this has been mentioned in the past by other reviewers, but I also object to having to pay additional for a cooked breakfast. If you have a breakfast included rate do not then make that a limited buffet selection and have customers fork out extra for something cooked. It just seems penny pinching and spoils the experience. I do not want to have to weigh up if I want to spend an extra eight quid or so when I am sitting there. Account for it in the room rate and offer it up to all. From what I could tell it did look lovely, but I wasn't in a mood to take it.

With regards to location, it is a bit of a trip outside central Cambridge so be prepared to wait for busses or pay a tenner each way for taxis into town.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but it was pretty full when we were around and by all accounts it is well thought of.

So, I wouldn't stay there again and would seek out something nearer to town. That being said, the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and could show many 5 star hotels how it should be done.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent review of Hotel Felix and for choosing to stay with us. The hub of Hotel Felix is based around an elegant Victorian Villa and when the hotel was opened ten years ago, two new bedroom annexes were built onto it. We do have an image of the modern part of the hotel on the Home page of our website (rotating images), but it seems that not everyone can view it for some reason. I am unable to from my PC, however my colleague can. I am currently looking into this with the company that maintains our website.

We have a variety of bedrooms, ranging from a standard Felix King, Classic and Premier to Junior Suites and a Penthouse Suite. All rooms are individually designed, some with their own distinctive wallpaper, others with luxurious bathrooms containing a double shower, underfloor heating and TV's at the end of the baths. We have a mixture of leisure and corporate guests, and our rooms are designed to appeal to both. Upon speaking to one of our receptionists, you were given a complimentary upgrade to one of our spacious Junior Suites. I am glad that this room was more to your liking, but apologise that the television at the end of the bath was not working. This has since been sent away for repair and has been returned in working order. Usually, our Housekeeping team check on little things like this, so I do apologise if it was overseen.

I'm sorry that you feel that Hotel Felix does not invite its guests to discover its charms, of which it has many. The vibrant Bar and light and airy Orangery, with their beautiful collections of contemporary art, are the perfect place in which to enjoy coffee, afternoon tea, cocktails or a glass of wine. Both look out to, and have access to our scenic gardens with its beautiful mature trees. Our main strength, or perhaps charm, is the way in which we welcome our guests and do our very best to ensure that they have a memorable stay at Hotel Felix. We receive consistent feedback regarding the courtesy, friendliness and professionalism of our staff, and I thank you for endorsing this.

Location - we are a situated a mile from central Cambridge, which equates to just over five minutes' drive. Hotel Felix has ample free parking, for which it doesn't charge, and many of our guests find it easier to catch the bus which stops at the top of the road or to take a taxi. Parking in Cambridge can be costly. However, no two guests are the same and at the end of the day, it is down to individual choice and convenience.

Breakfast - many of our guests choose not to order a cooked English breakfast, which is why we include Continental breakfast in our room rate. I am sure that if we charged guests for something that they didn't consume, we would be inundated with complaints.

I'm sorry that you have chosen not to stay with us again, however if you were to change your mind, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Been to Hotel Felix? Share your experiences!