“Large and welcoming, good food, but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 522 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: English, Pub, Gastropub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Blue Lion in Hardwick provides a warm and friendly venue for a relaxing drink, a hearty business lunch or a sociable dinner with friends, family or colleagues.
uk
“Large and welcoming, good food, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Nice atmosphere, Tasty food, Light and airy, attentive staff and handy location. Shame its so expensive.... With these prices you would expect to be in central Cambridge. (£16 for a chicken and mash dish)

When this pub hit the top 30 restaurants in Cambridge on Trip Advisor, it became a candidate for a visit, especially as the weather was nice, a warm September evening and the location seemed ideal.

The setting is tranquil, with a nice garden to the front with roses and parasols, its on a quiet road tucked away at the back of a village, about 10 minutes drive from Cambridge centre. Its certainly got everything going for it. The pub is clean and tidy, with clearly separate dining areas, but its easy going, not high-brow at all.

We had a drink at the bar and the drink was nice. When sat at our table, we were brought some olive bread and some chilli butter, most unusual.... but tasty (see photos)

We skipped the starter and I went for the hazelnut encrusted chicken, with morel sauce (mushroom) mashed potato and green beans (see photo). This came well presented, not much chicken, quite a lot of crust, which looked and tasted more of breadbrumbs than hazelnuts, and was just a bit small for the money. However, I did enjoy it, it was well cooked the sauce was nice and the overall combination good.

We had the chocolate brownie for dessert which was par for the course (nothing special - not as good at the old crown Girton), but again small, and expensive.

We enjoyed our evening, but the bill was just too much for a place like this. Better value can be found elsewhere and that is why I have marked it down a bit. We will probably return, but not very often at those prices.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have eaten here with friends and family many times, and the food and service has been excellent every time. There are things for the kids to do, outdoor spaces and even some local animals. But best of all is the food, fantastic.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Really great starter - disappointing risotto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have mixed reviews about this restaurant, but have heard much praise for the food, so it may be that this was just a one off!

The atmosphere in the gastro pub is great, buzzing and friendly, and the decor is nice too! We were sat in the conservatory which was very nice, and a little quieter so we could have a proper chat. The menu is lovely, some really interesting choices, and I had my 3 courses planned about 5 minutes after I got there!

The starter was delicious, a sort of goats cheese stack, very modern presentation and flavours, and a really exciting starter! Sadly my artichoke risotto main course was very over cooked, and the rice was claggy and puddingy, and really there wasn't much flavour. I probably should have said something, but I don't like complaining, and the starter was so good. Everyone else (apart from the other veggie who chose the risotto) had a lovely meal, so obviously the food is usually great.

I will definitely give this place another go!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Brilliant food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this delightful Gastro-bar-restaurnt a few times now & have always been highly impressed with the food on offer. The menu is amongst the best eateries in the Cambridge area. I have just had the amazing rabbit, rabbit, rabbit main course, rabbit done 3 ways & delicious. Artichoke risotto ways perfectly cooked. Pressed pig to start was perfect with a glass of red.
The pub classics are always spot on & perfect comfort food with class.
I really recommend a visit here as its perfect to relax, enjoy & soak up the great surroundings.
Oh I nearly forgot try the amazing desserts, especially there take on strawberries & cream-awesome.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge
“Country Pub worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited with friends on a Friday night and found the place very welcoming. We had booked in advance so were shown directly to our table. The waitress was very friendly. We ordered drinks and then after a reasonable time our food order was taken. The food was very good and the starters in particular were large. There was a varied choice at varying prices. To summarise I would go again but would advise that it is not cheap but the food is good and the drinks reasonably priced for the Cambridge area.

• Visited August 2013