“Disappointing Meal” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 526 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: English, Pub, Gastropub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Blue Lion in Hardwick provides a warm and friendly venue for a relaxing drink, a hearty business lunch or a sociable dinner with friends, family or colleagues.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I went to the Blue Lion for a meal with my parents, after having enjoyed having a drink there a few times, and seeing how busy it was on the food side.

The surroundings were very nice and the staff pleasant but we were very disappointed with the food, especially given the price of it. First of all there was actual mould on the 'freshly baked' bread, the corned beef hash did not contain corned beef but, in fact, strands of stringy meat and almost no potato and we couldn't eat most of the chips because they were green. I don't really understand why everyone raves about the place, unless we were just really unlucky on this occasion! To be fair the waiting staff were very apologetic and didn't charge us for the chips or corned beef hash but we won't be eating there again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Calgary
“Great town pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I really like heading out to the Blue Lion for a meal or a drink. The place is split in to a restaurant and pub. Though I'm not sure, I do believe food is still available on the pub side or in the front garden if it is not to busy. The menu is always full of tasty options and has changed each time I have visited. They use fresh ingredients and the soup or daily specials are always tempting. My food has always been very good here and I will be going back. You can either eat less expensive classic pub meals for around 10 or go for fancier options between 10-20.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A Great Birthday Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After struggling to find a place to go for my birthday lunch on Bank Holiday Monday (as everywhere seemed to be shut!), I found The Blue Lion on tripadvisor and thought that my family and I could give it a go, if only because it was open! My parents (who have lived in the area for over 20 years) had never even heard of it and joked that it wouldn't be very good. When we arrived, however, they quickly shut up as we were shown through to the conservatory, which was light and airy on what was a nice sunny day. The staff were very attentive; they did forget to bring a glass of wine that we had ordered before two others but other than that the service was great. The menu was very diverse which was good for us as my parents and I wished to have a nice starter and main whereas my brothers just wanted burgers! The food was very tasty (I had the smoked mackerel and the garlic chicken which were both delicious). The only letdown was the dessert. I had the banana tart tatin with toffee parfait and found it all much too sweet for my taste. Afterwards, we had coffee in the garden which was no problem for the staff and was a lovely finish to the meal. Overall, it was a surprisingly great meal and we would love to return in the future!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Would definitely go again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was surprised when my parents suggested a birthday meal here as a previous visit hadn’t gone well (they’d been accused of leaving without paying, completely untrue) but I was happy to go along. Ample parking on site with on-street parking as an easy overflow was good to see. Lots of outside seating for smokers and everyone else when it gets a bit warmer too. Inside the pub is “cosy”, that is to say a bit small and access to the bar was blocked by a handful of people chatting but as we were there on a Thursday the restaurant part seemed to be at about 30 – 40% occupancy which was fine and we had a whole section to ourselves (even if it was by the loos). There was also an air conditioning unit above us to keep it cool in the summer. Very impressed that the 1st waiter to serve us had a good knowledge of the ales on offer, this has definitely not been my experience at restaurants in Cambridge, and the 2nd chap (probably the landlord) was able to talk about the food and where they sourced it. This really added to the meal experience for me and made the evening very enjoyable. OK, the one small portion of garlic-ish butter and one portion of beetroot butter between four wasn’t really adequate but the olive bread was lovely.

The chicken dish was generous in size and looked great, the steak and kidney is definitely what I’m having next time. My lamb dish was a little…well, not too sure what it wanted to be I guess and the portions of rare lamb at each corner were a bit chewy for my liking but you live and learn and I’ll know what to choose next time.

The desserts were all great, the cheese board looked epic, and the vast selection of ice creams was amazing – I recommend the ginger as well as the salted caramel. The coffee was also nice although perhaps not in the biggest cup I’ve ever seen.

At 120 pounds for the four of us (2 courses each, drinks, coffee and 10% tip) it’s not the cheapest place I’ve eaten at but I consider it a reasonable price for what was on offer, would probably struggle to justify any more than that though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northwich, Cheshire
“A real surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Unsure about where to go for an evening meal, I consulted trip advisor and was surprised to see this village pub/restaurant, located in the next village, right up near the top of the ranking. Intrigued, we decided to visit.

The place has eveidently recently been refurbished and has a pleasant atmosphere. The staff were friendly and attentive. The menu offers lots of promise with interesting twists on some classic dishes. In my case, this included a steak & kidney pudding with the kidney in the suet and a large chunk of slow-cooked braised beef served separately. Delicious, all the same.

Our food was of excellent quality, served promptly and presented attractively. Given that the prices are very reasonable and the service polite and friendly, this place deserves to quicky become a favourite.

I'd have no hesitation in returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere