“Awful nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   7 Regent Terrace, Cambridge CB2 1AA, England   |
Ranked #59 of 117 Cambridge B&B and Inns
“Awful nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I'm a international student, traveled in many places in UK in the past 2 years. THIS house's room is the worst, Dirty, Cold, Noisy, the attitude of the boss is unfriendly at all. I think what we live is a room should less than £50, but we pay £100 to stay here. P.S. This hotel is absolutely different from the pictures.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed in this virtual Guest House for one night!
That was one night too long.
There are drunken, stoned tramps who sing all night on the bench outside the guesthouse.
This place is un-manned. Do not expect any service as the only people there are the guests, who are equally bemused as I was.
The web site says "new carpets" I can't believe that as they are thread bare and stained. The sink wouldn't drain and smelt of vomit. The TV reception was atrocious, the wifi very poor.
So when I eventually got through to the owner, she was very unsympathetic. She took my money before my arrival so she didn't give a damn.
Do not stay here people!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I wish I read some of the other bad reviews before I booked. If you are booking here note that they require a 48 hours cancellation period, otherwise you pay in full, unless they find another guest for the night. When I arrived it was locked and a sign on the door stated the access code is on my confirmation e-mail – it wasn’t. So I had to phone the owner for the code. I discovered very late that night there were no towels in my bedroom. Also - one only gets one towel. The room was smelling damp. The liquid soap container was tatty and just about no soap in it. The shower wouldn’t drain fast enough and water pressure was not strong enough. No amenities other than the coffee/ tea. Breakfast very mediocre - just the bare basics. Somehow the pictures of the hotel and the rooms look a lot more fresh and inviting than the reality. Note that check-out time is 10:30 and they charge a full night accommodation if you book out later than 10:30. There are no personal or nice touches in this place. The carpets in the dining area are grubby. Breakfast is stripped down - very little choices and variety of food. Communal bathroom very clean though and bed comfortable. Also very centrally located.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
North Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights here- it was dreadful. The first thing was the tatty old front door opening into a scruffy and very dirty entrance. The stair carpet was also very dirty and there was nothing between the top of the flight of stairs and the small landing. Very unsafe. Th bathroom was not well cleaned and had clogged hair in the sink. They had left 1/2 a toilet roll. One of the floor tiles was broken and there was no bath mat so the floor was perilously slippy when you stepped out of the shower. The fridge was also dirty. generally the whole place was tatty with chipped and marked paint and the lonuge rug was stained and not clean. There was nothing there like pictures to suggest that any thought had been put into the place. The bedroom had two very skinny pillows and worse than that, on the first night, there was an appauling screeching noise that went on from the heating all night. The whole appartment was very noisy- buses going past every few minutes made the whole place shake.
In summary- dont stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Cambridge is one of the nicest places you could wish to travel to and this b&b is right in the centre of the city. The accommodation was clean and although we would prefer a full English breakfast, compared to the prices of hotels in the area we were very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

In terms of value for money this is probably the worst b&b I`ve ever stayed in. Joys include:
- No-one is ever there to greet or ask about anything, your key is just left on the side
- No proper breakfast, just some cereal and stale croissants
- unfinished paintwork and protuding electrical wires, a dody looking electrical box with a `don`t touch` sign on it next to the shower
- large window on a 1st floor room didnt secure properly.

Wish I`d read some of the reviews on here before booking - one to avoid!

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night based on the location and vacancies. The location on Parker's Piece is great. Service is really minimal. I had to let myself in, which required finding my laptop and looking up the door entry code. My bathroom did not have normal soap, conditioner, or shampoo, but just some lynx shower gel with a little left in the bottle. I didn't see any staff until breakfast, which was a cold breakfast with somewhat stale croissants, but it served. The wireless internet did work well. Payment was a difficulty -- the manager and I played phone tag several times until I finally emailed the credit card info two days after staying there (she is nice enough to deal with otherwise). I couldn't pay while at the guesthouse because the only staff I saw had no idea how much I should be charged and didn't have access to the credit card machine anyway, and the manager was off work that day.

I've stayed at many B&Bs in England, and one other in Cambridge. I do tend to pick small B&Bs, rather than guesthouses, and often stay at posh places, but with that said, while not a disaster, this was my least favorite for the above mentioned reasons.

Pros:
+ location
+ wireless internet service works
+ comfortable bed

Cons:
- no service
- no shower toiletries provided or warning to bring my own
- difficult to contact manager for payment
- below average breakfast
- high cost (112 gbp for one night, but it is Cambridge in August)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Regency Guest House? Share your experiences!