“You know what you'll get” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Cambridge

You added Holiday Inn Cambridge to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Cambridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lakeview Bridge Road | Impington, Cambridge CB24 9PH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
UK
“You know what you'll get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Its a Holiday Inn and thats what you get. Efficient check in, well kept rooms in good condition and plenty of space. Easy to reach and find on the outskirts of Cambridge. Situated back from the road so little or no traffic noise at night. Good breakfast, pay for it when you arrive for the best price. Overall very acceptable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and good recommendations. I am pleased you liked our spacious bedrooms and good breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Robin Hutton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I stay in this hotel most weeks and I cannot fault the staff attentiveness - everyone is keen to make sure the customer receives the best experience. The food has improved consistently over the last couple of years, with breakfast in particular being a delight (I don't often eat dinner here). The only reason for dropping one star is that the hotel could do with a refurb of some rooms but the communal areas are nicely finished and up yo date.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for review and recommendation. I am pleased that the staff have been attentive over the years and that you have seen an improvement in the food also. I am hoping for a Bedroom refurbishment soon.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the
future.

Bingley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This should have been a 4 or 5, but marks have been lost on two counts which I am happy to share,
It's my kind of hotel ....... not surrounded by traffic, nice grounds, smart, well laid out. I'm a fan of Holiday Inns so the first impression was good as I arrived. Ample parking and a friendly check in. I'd had a busy day and was a bit tired, so planned to eat early and settle down to watch TV and have an early night with a good nights sleep. The bar area (where I planned to eat) was busy due to some social function that was on, therefore I got a drink and was kind of forced into the restaurant instead. Not too much of a problem, but my issue is this. Because of the semi-rural location and lack of easily accessible alternatives, Holiday Inn have "got you". They charge £4.50 a pint BECAUSE THEY CAN. And once seated in the restaurant, I got the menu, which was decent choice in theory but again terrible pricing. I work away a lot, and gone are the days I have the tree courses and all the trimmings every night, and of course I am on an allowance. So my options, not wanting anything fancy or too pricey, were Pasta or a burger. For which they charge over £14. BECAUSE THEY CAN. Its not reasonable, and I require no corporate glittery response to justify it. So a mark taken off for the pricing. The second mark is taken off for the quality. The £14 bowl of a moderate portion of salmon pasta wasn't the best and I felt unwell all night. As I write this 2 days later, I still feel a little as though I am suffering from the effects of a dodgy meal and I possibly have a small fish bone causing a nuisance in my throat. Add to that the restaurant staff (who to be fair were friendly and efficient, if a little TOO cheesy) constantly asking "everything OK with your meal Sir") should have added to my suspicions. Literally 4 staff each of who must have asked me three or four times. The restaurant itself was nice and as mentioned elsewhere I am a fan of Holiday Inns. Maybe (and hopefully) this meal was a one off but not good. Second point lost.
My room was OK (when I found it) and was spacious, tidy and modern, with a nice TV. The bathroom was adequate, although not quite to the standard of the room, so maybe there is an upgrade process going on. It was certainly OK though. I didn't have the best nights sleep due to a) the food and b) the single bed which was very light and moved every time I tossed and turned. Again, a minor point and not a problem exclusive to Holiday Inns.
Breakfast was in the same restaurant area as the night before, so I was unsure what to expect, but it seemed the usual self-service / buffet affair. I had a little. It was hardly inspiring, but at the same time not too bad - it didn't seem overly warm and I'm not sure how many times the sausages had made an appearance; I would guess they had been warmed up a few times. Similarly the coffee wasn't exactly hot, but to be honest, breakfast is breakfast and is just a quick start to the day for me.
Checkout was OK, and settled quickly, although I mentioned to the lady about the food and got the response "well if it had been the food you wouldn't have felt ill straight away". Maybe she was medically qualified ?
So overall, I would stay there again and hope that the food issue was a one off. Aesthetically, it was one of the nicer Holiday Inns, smart and tidy, but cost wise I think it was too pricey for food and drink. And at £128 a night I would have thought £5 for an hours Wi-fi is a bit of a rip off too.

Room Tip: Seem a popular busy hotel, sneak your own drinks in if you are averse to high bar prices. :-)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very detailed review and feedback. We share all our responses with the team, and we will be discussing this further. If you would like to share this experience further please do
contact my Operations Manager Daniel Sharpe who would be happy to hear your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the
future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were in an executive room and it was very clean and comfortable which meant we had a really good night's sleep which is always good!
The reception staff were friendly and helpful at all times.
We weren't so happy in the pool though - the pool was cordoned off for swimming lessons and the swimming teacher was eating in the pool - and then rinsing her hands off in the water which we found unhygienic - especially as she went from prawn cocktail crisps to bananas!! We did mention this to the receptionist at the pool and again at main reception when we checked out.
There is plenty of space to sit in the lounge area but the seats aren't very comfortable as the chairs have very low backs which makes it difficult to lean back and relax - this is a shame as it would have been nice to sit in the lounge rather than in the bedroom but the sofa in the bedroom was more comfortable!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found the staff to be helpful and friendly. We share all our feedback with the Team and I will be discussing the food issue with the Spirit Club Manager.
kind regards
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Being from Canada, I felt comfortable selecting a Holiday Inn knowing that the standards are usually fairly high. With this comparison in mind I was very disappointed. While the common areas, the spa and the location in general are well represented by the photos on the website, the actual rooms are more like a motel room and if you had paid more than US$50 per night anywhere in the US or Canada you would feel duped.

All the problems stem from old and well used furniture and fittings. Here are some examples:

1) Once you leave the main lobby area the carpets quickly change to those "motel" type carpets that are well worn, stained and dated. As you walk along them you will start thinking "I hope the carpet in my room is better" well... sorry, but its the same. You will want to make sure you take slippers with you as you will not feel comfortable walking with bare feet on them.

2) Everywhere you look you will see bad paint jobs and even worse DIY type silicone and filler jobs. I don't think the painters knew how to use edging tape and the large gaps where they have missed spots probably mean they were blind as well (no offence intended to our blind friends who did a much better job in their house).

3) When you do get in your room, whatever you do, don't open the windows. English buildings do not have screens so all sorts of insects will immediately get in. I think they are lining up outside or something as we got swarmed by these massive flying spider type things (I am told they are called "flying daddy long legs" and are harmless). My wife of course hit the ceiling the first time she saw one and I had to spend a good long time trying to clear the room of them.

4) The toilets are those econo things that are supposed to save water, but if (how do I put this delicately?) you have to do a #2 you will have to stand there flushing it repeatedly at least 7 times before anything will go down (so much for saving water eh?). I tried flushing one of the Daddy Long Legs that I had caught but it was so big (and I guess light) that it took 12 flushes to get down.

5) There was cracked tiles in the bathroom which seems to be mandatory in the UK, so I guess that should be nothing to complain about in comparison, but I was not impressed with the small spots of mold that had been covered up with another layer of silicone... very DIYish.

6) Have you ever been to one of those 'used hotel furniture' outlets in the States? if you have you will know exactly how the furniture looks in this hotels rooms. Very well used, scratched, dented and poorly repaired. the sofa was unusable as it was so thread bare and faintly stained that we just couldn't make ourselves sit on it without thinking of fleas or worse. I was surprised that they didn't even have some hooks or hanging space by (or even on) the door to hang coats. Overall, I felt like I was in the home of an elderly relative that still had all their furniture after having it beat up by 3 generations of kids, grand kids etc.

7) The thing that disappointed me the most though was the lack of free wireless access. In a hotel this expensive and an international chain you would expect at the very least free internet access in the business center. But no you have to pay for it, and be prepared for a sticker shock... it is 5 pounds for an hour!!! When the front desk told me I almost fainted. By the reaction of the staff I am sure she was used to seeing this reaction as she glanced at her colleague with that "another American that expects everything for free" look. If you have to get online,,, save your money and go out for a nice meal at a local pub with free wireless access.

8) I tried the breakfast (very very expensive), and was suitably dissapointed. Cold tea, greasy eggs, fatty beacon and cold toast. The chef at this hotel obviously doesn't eat their him/her self.

Anyway, after staying at a number of hotels around England this trip I found that this one was actually not that bad in comparison. So don't not-book this hotel based on this review, just make sure (especially if you are from N.America) to lower your expectations... significantly.

Happy travels

Room Tip: Bring your own slippers and be careful where you sit.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time in writing a very detailed review, and I am sorry you had to deal with our daddy long legs!! We will share this feedback with the team and discuss the issues. With regards to Wifi we do offer it Free to our IHG Platinum and Gold members and in 2014 there will be further offers.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge when you are next in the UK.
Millers Dale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights to have a family break over half term. All staff seemed helpful and approachable. The pool was on the small side especially with a fitness class on Monday morning. One lady (not a member of staff) seemed to think we shouldn't be in the pool. Despite the noise of the traffic when outside the hotel inside it was fine.The breakfasts were fine and as you would expect. There was quite a difference in service from Sunday to Monday. On Sunday we had use of a pancake machine which my daughter loved, but it wasn't there on Monday. The staff on Monday couldn't keep up with refilling the buffet items, so toast went cold while waiting for hot items, had the storm affected staff getting to work? If you want a lie in don't have a room backing onto the childrens play area, they woke us up on Sunday morning. We didn't eat in the hotel as such a good variety of restaurants in Cambridge so can't comment on the quality of the food but the menu did look expensive. There was no problem parking in the hotel unlike trying to park in Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review and I am pleased that the staff were friendly
and approachable. We share all our feedback with the team and learn from it.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Winchelsea United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were attending a function in King's College and decided to stay at this Holiday Inn as it was so near to the motorway. Clean comfortable room with good bathroom on the ground floow. Extremely friendly and helpful staff and a good breakfast made this a very pleasant overnight stay. Taxi service to and from King's College was faultless, reliable prompt and courteous. All in all, a very successful stay - would definitely choose this hotel again for a visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that you were well looked after with our friendly and helpful staff.
kind regards
Robin Hutton

Been to Holiday Inn Cambridge? Share your experiences!