“Attractive situation, good value and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Arundel House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chesterton Road, Cambridge CB4 3AN, England   |
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Attractive situation, good value and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I was impressed by the single room. It was well-appointed and not too small, with everything one could hope for - attractive decor, good t.v, plenty of storage space, comfortable bed, good shower, and clean. The continental breakfast was excellent and the whole was very good value indeed.

Room Tip: Front room facing the river and Jesus Green would have the best view but it would be quieter round t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Mirfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week in a tiny bedroom and even smaller bathroom apparently designed for Sylvanians. That said the hotel isv very clean with highly patterned new carpets throughout. Continental breakfast is poor. Cooked breakfast is the best I have had in Cambridge at any hotel I have stayed in. At £85 a night it should be included in the room rate. Wide choice of restaurant meals, some of which appeared to be bought in. Conservatory is better vaue. Good location and nice staff. The bed and mattress were poor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The location is excellent, an easy walk through the park into town, excellent car parking (which is hideously expensive in Cambridge so parking up at the hotel is the perfect solution). I also found the continental breakfast to be quick, efficient, and sufficiently varied in terms of fruits (oranges, pineapple, two types of melon, fruit basket) yoghurts and toast etc but a little uninspired in terms of breakfast pasties. But a minor quibble.

The hotel is clean and quiet. Some of the decor is alarming -- 1980's swirl carpets and curtains in places but sadly all built to last for decades more to come. It would cost a fortune to refit the hotel so lets accept it for what it is.

However, less acceptable given the cost, is the quality of the bedrooms and the beds. I had a single room. It was tiny, bed pinned against the wall, shower room simply the width of a narrow shower. The furnishings were dated and the bed uncomfortable. It did not make for a good nights' sleep and on this basis it would be unlikely that I would stay again. Nothing wrong with the cleanliness, just the lack of comfort and quality. Jaded.

In terms of staff,I did not find them very welcoming or engaging. They were neither impolite nor unpleasant but just rather disinterested. The receptionist wanted to book me in as swiftly as possible, gave no welcome, no "can I help" messages but bundled me off as soon as possible. I do so dislike this. Almost everyone coming to a hotel has made a long journey (mine was just over 300 miles on a cold, miserable February day) -- after all, if people had not been travelling they would have returned home, so arriving somewhere really is an opportunity to greet someone, see if they would like a cup of tea, show them where the loos are, and generally welcome them into the hotel. It does not need Flowers, embraces, or a brass band --- but something a little more than "sign here --- first door on the right, up the stairs, press the button and swipe the card, - breakfast 7.30 - 9.30" i think it is what one might call hospitality --- and it costs not a penny more!

Its a shame --- the City is magnificent, the location spot on, and I am sure there is no negative intent as such..... but a little more warmth and genuine interest would make a lot of difference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is the first hotel that I have walked out of.

The room I was put in was unclean, shabby with just about the worst bed I have seen outside of a rubbish tip. Apart from beeing to small and very narrow the mattress was about two years past the point of tired. Sleep quality is my number 1 concern so I left and went to the nearest Premier inn. I was told that I would have to pay for a night (company policy apparently).

Oh and when I was trying to book the premier inn on my lap top, I found that the wifi was rubbish too (kept dropping out).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked the Arundel for one night as we were going to visit our daughter who has just moved to Papworth to work. A central hotel was our first priority with free parking a second if possible. The Arundel House Hotel is so easy to find, unbelievably easy. Perfect location, few minutes walk from the center where all the shops and wonderful restaurants await. Parking at the back of the hotel is excellent. Check in was friendly. We booked thru booking.com and they gave us the invoice with the receipt and a room key. Security is excellent with their system. Room was overlooking the rear of the hotel. Small room, small bed too....but the bathroom was spotless and beautiful big fluffy towels and toiletries. Bed was very comfy. TV was mounted on a side wall which was a bit difficult for watching at night time...minor quibble. room even had a safe. Breakfast was continental was included in our rate of 95ukl. Breakfast was nice. Bar is nice too where we had a lovely drink before heading to bed. The location of the hotel is really perfect. The staff are completely friendly. I enquired as to whether they could take a blind dog puppy in training in future (I am getting one soon) as I will still be going to see our daughter but would have the dog with me. The staff member was not sure and said he would get someone to call me. The following day we got a call from the Manager, who said we would be welcome with the puppy....service was great....thank you to all who made our weekend so great and we look forward to many more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was slightly worried about how I'd find the hotel after reading other reviews but it was fantastic value for money. It is in a great location, has ample free parking (other city hotels were asking for around £18 for 24 hours), the rooms were clean and spacious for a city hotel and the staff were very helpful and polite. I'd made a large group booking for a friends hen do and I had no complaints from anyone! There is no lift in the main hotel but the receptionist asked if I needed a hand with my luggage so there is no need for you to lug your suitcase up the stairs on your own. The hotel were also very kind to let us use the car park prior to booking in and on the Sunday after we had checked out. They also price matched rates I had found online which were very reasonable. So if you want a well priced hotel in a great location with free parking this is it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We always use the Arundel House Hotel as a venue to meet up as a family. Originating from Cambridge but now living in Cornwall this restaurant always provides the perfect setting for our family to meet up, catch up, eat and drink. Tonight was particularly quiet in the restaurant, well it was until we arrived, and the staff welcomed our laughter and loud chatter as we caught up with one another. The food was superb and we all raved about our courses and choices. I have the black olive pasta to star which was superb. The house wine was also reasonable and delicious.
Fab night and we will continue to return for our family get togethers.
Kathy Newborough xx

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Arundel House Hotel? Share your experiences!