“Modern curry house with excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #347 of 524 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood, Contemporary, Halal
Dining options: Buffet, Private Dining
Description: 'Best Indian Restaurant' - IndependentCafé Naz, also calling itself the Cambridge Curry Centre, is painted black but brilliantly-lit at night, a restaurant minimalist to the extreme with glass front door, black slate floors, white unadorned walls, recessed lighting and a striking burnished steel and glass staircase. It is, in fact, the new look Cafe Naz, this Indian eatery has been around since the 60s.Uniquely among Cambridge's 25 or so Indian and Bangladeshi restaurants, Cafe Naz, one of 5 sites in the Cafe Naz group, has broken from the local restaurants with a new, dynamic appearance – both in exterior and inetrior.Café Naz, Cambridge has a light and airy atmosphere. Well situated within easy reach of the city centre the Café Naz experience is unique; blending a mixture of mouth watering traditional and evolved Indian dishes creating the finest traditions of eastern cuisine as enjoyed in the west.Set over two storeys the restaurant offer the perfect location whether you’re planning a quiet evening with friends in the intimate ground floor setting or a special celebration in the party area upstairs seating up to 80 guests.The menu has something for all tastes with dishes specialising in Bangladeshi, Banarasi, Balti, Tandoori, Punjabi and Vegetarian. All this combines to make Café Naz one of the best Indian Restaurants around!
cambridge
“Modern curry house with excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I must confess that, although fond of curry, I have not been to an Indian restaurant for a long long time. Yet somehow, on Friday night after a particularly punishing week at work, I found myself with a raging, curry sized hole. Cafe Naz was nearby, and looked bright, modern, and reassuringly busy. We were welcomed in and shown to a good table. Service was prompt and professional, the food and drinks arrived as quickly as I needed them to. Chicken jalfrezi and lamb dhansak - always good benchmark dishes to sample-were unlike the tired, oily offerings I remember in the past: both delicious, with distinguishable flavours of fresh spices.

The atmosphere was lively and very busy, with parties of all shapes and sizes. The high turnover clearly ensures that the food is freshly cooked. The interior is bright and modern; no whirly carpets or mock colonial decor here; think more along the lines of a smart college canteen, which I suspect is what Naz may resemble during college term time. We paid £45 for two pints of lager, a keema naan, basmatic rice, two main course,two vegetable dishes and one kulfi. Very reasonable for the quality; I will be returning the very next time the curry sized hole appears, which I now suspect will be sooner rather than later.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for very for the review. We are delighted that you enjoyed our food and service. It is always a pleasure to see happy customers which makes all the hard work worthwhile. We hope you will visit Cafe Naz again soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“New management disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Management in this place has changed and it's really declined, service is atrocious and portions have become minuscule. Sadly one to avoid now.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Very, very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Went with about ten mates for a friends birthday. The saturation itself looked lovely, in a very nice location with lovely outside presence.

Sadly the food didn't meet the standards of the look of the venue.

Overpriced, dry, oily (when not dry), VERY salty, VERY spicy (this didn't bother me but ruined others food), all curries tasted like they were made from one standard paste, dull spice powders used, awful balance of flavour, overlooked and in some cases, just plain odd.

Service was poor as well. Waiters cleaning table while friends were still eating, had to wait AGES for starters and then mains (ended up being in the restaurant for over 2.5 hours in the end). Just a bit crap overall really

We also had a vegan friend with us, and the waiters clearly didn't know what we were talking about, after recommending a chicken or lam dish to my vegan friend. I asked about the use of ghee in the curry, and they said they didn't use ghee. I should have known things were going to be poor from there.

I can't express how disappointed I was. I've wanted to try this place for years as I looked so good, but don't let this disappoint you. I love curry, and have tried a number of Indian restaurants in Cambridge, and I can safely say this IS the most disappointing and definitely the most average.

This would have got 1 star if I hadn't managed to blag student discount for the table. That took a large amount of effort as well though to be honest.

Safe to say I wont be back.

Ripley, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was with my fiance visiting family down in Cambridge for a wedding event and we had a lot of people in the house the day before the event. With this in mind, our host thought it would be better to get a take away, or eat out, as she didn't fancy cooking for such a large number. It was then decided to eat at this location.

Since it was a large party, she rang ahead and booked us a table and also asked about a discount card that she had and if it could be used or not. She spoke to the manager who booked the table and said that she could indeed use the discount. (2 for one on main meals.)

We arrived and was seated on a large table that was across from the main door just under the flight of stairs. The seating was comfortable and the company, of course, was great, though the decor seemed confusing. There were mixes of god knows what here and there. Modern art, indian features, a roman-esque fountain! What in the world was this place trying to be?

The staff were not exactly the best, however. Rather pushy, in fact. We had only just been seated and handed the menus and they were already expecting us to order. After we dismissed them with a drinks order, we sat and browsed the menu (Which, I must say, is extensive.) while we discussed everday things. I was fiddling with the napkin in front of me when I noticed a rather 'suspicious' (If you catch my meaning.) looking hair right next to my knife. I pointed it out and instantly blew it off the table, a little put off by it... Only to discover an insect under my plate. Not a great start really, was it?

They came out with chicken pakora (Which was thankfully free.) and we shared what there was around and ordered our meals. (Finally.)

Being seated across from the door on a cold-ish day was not great when the other customers seemed to lack basic manners. The door kept being left wide open and it was freezing! We kept having to shout for someone to close it! Even the staff left it open.

An hour and twenty minutes later, we FINALLY got our meals. I had ordered butter chicken. A meal that I happen to really enjoy and I'm incredibly fussy about. It was really not at all special. Bland, far too creamy (Almost as if someone had accidentally tripped over with a pot of cream.) and, to be blunt, it tasted like baby food. My fiance ordered a chicken pasanda and that too tasted like a pot of baby food. I had to suggest mixing the remnants of one of the other members of our parties curry in with it to make it taste better.

The naan bread was actually more like a Frankie & Benny's pizza base, not a naan bread. The rice was a little dry and the general atmosphere began to take a turn for the worse as people began to order extras. (IE: Drinks.) The staff seemed to start losing patience!

The real fiasco began when the bill arrived. It was a rather large bill, but thankfully the manager had already assured us that the discount could be used... Actually... No. This was the icing on the cake. He then decided that it couldn't be used as intended and said 'I can knock ten pounds off, that's all.' This was challenged by saying that we were already disgusted by the hour and twenty minute wait for our food, which he replied by making the excuse that 'it all came at once'. I'm sorry, but aren't they supposed to be prepared for that? You know, being a popular restaurant?

And to top it all off, the door was STILL being left open contantly.

Rude staff, bad food, messy decor that made no sense, generally annoying. I came out more stressed than full.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
wigan
“Uninspiring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Service was initialy prompt but then took 35 minutes after main course to order coffee with only 12 people in restaurant.
Curry was tasty but very dry.
Would I go back I'm not so sure