“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   53 Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EN, England   |
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010 via mobile

Very close walk to town. Parking a bit of a problem but free from 5pm Saturday until Monday morning. Room was small but had everything you could need. Very good strong shower. Room was very clean, and bed was comfortable. Only stayed for one night but would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed overnight on way to Stansted - we had planned to get here early and enjoy Cambridge but best laid plans! Arrived after 6 so no parking left at the front but we parked just round the corner in a side road for free and then paid next mornng for a hour until we checked in. Room was very boudoir - corner bath was nice but shower very low. Breakfast was ok - poached eggs on toast ordered. Easy walking into Cambridge

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stayed here in July 2010 on a Saturday night. For me, if you're looking for a place just to sleep, and enjoy Cambridge then this hotel is ideal, but if you're looking for a romantinc night away in a decent hotel, I recommend you look elsewhere.

The hotel has very limited parking, and thus if you're going by car please be aware of this. Parking around about is expensive on the roads, though free on a Sunday. This was a major downfall, as when I had spoken to the hotel I had been assured I would be able to park. I ended up asking a traffic warden where the best place to park was, as the hotel seemd rather unhelpful in getting me parked.

My room was not en-suite which I didn't realise, and so I had a bit of a walk going for a wash/toilet especially as I wasn't informed where the bathroom was. For the price I paid, I would have expected an en-suite room.

Despite this though the room was alright. The bed was comfortable, and if I had to re-use this hotel then I wouldn be assured i'd get a decent nights sleep.

The breakfast though left a lot to be desired. The quality of breakfast was, in my opinion, poor. This was disappointing as I was rather hungry. I'd rather wait for hot toast, then be immeadiately served with cold, slightly undercooked toast. The standard of meat was also poor for the breakfast, a bit like what you get at a Little Chef or a mortorway service station.

Thus - all in all a disappointing stay - but ig you're wanting a decent nights sleep, and not fussed where you are then it's recommended, anything else i'd recommend you look elsewhere.

The staff were polite though, and the location was ideal for a quick walk into the centre of Cambridge, however i'm sure there are better quality places for your money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

We were here for a couple of days in June (booked by travel agent)

Our accommodation was in a musty basement room with a tiny bathroom. Breakfast was very ordinary. Basic staff communication.

Completely overpriced - parking was not available (they only have a few spaces which seemed ot be occupied by the same people constantly) Parking fees are by meter nearby.

Very poor!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I stayed there recently, in one of the executive rooms, and I thought it was very nice and cozy (and quiet, even though it faced onto the road). The room was a reasonable size, and had a nice flatscreen tv on the wall, with plenty of channels. The room was exceptionally clean, and a lovely bathroom. I thought the towels were of very good quality .. even if they are pink! They also had very nice toilettries. The staff at the front desk were also very friendly and helpful. It is perfect for visiting Cambridge ... takes just a few minutes to walk to where all the colleges are. There are loads of restaurants nearby, and a little pub just about 50m from the hotel. Yes, I liked this place !

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed overnight for a party. Better rates on the web than the receptionist could offer me, so I booked online. Still twice the price presented on TripAdvisor: it was £75 for a double.

No problems, perfectly clean, everything worked fine, and I had a good night's sleep. Missed breakfast because it finishes unnecessarily early and I needed more sleep!

So, in short, I would prefer later breakfast and slightly keener prices, but I'll probably be back anyway.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
South UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 year old son stayed here for two nights, we had an Executive room, the name probably relates to the size of the room.

Things we liked - Room size, good firm comfortable bed, facilities in room (also see bad), breakfast variety and also service staff, helpful reception, proximity to city centre

Things we didn't like - Generally things just seemed to have been done cheaply - room fittings & furnishings(inc door lock), TV, towels. Breakfast food (fantastic range but not great quality). The sauna like heating of the whole hotel made it generally uncomfortable, walking in the front door was like walking into a furnace.

Appreciate that Cambridge suffers from supply and demand and therefore you tend to pay premiums for average places but the Lensfield did the harder things well (friendliness and quantity of staff creating a friendly atmosphere) and was let down by the things easy to fix with a small investment - quality of rooms and food.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Lensfield? Share your experiences!