“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Cambridge
New York City, New York
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I just returned from a 4-night stay and The Lensfield far exceeded my expectations. It was charming, quaint, and spanking clean. As I was traveling alone to visit my daughter, I booked their "budget" single room. I expected the room to be small but it was perfect, cozy and warm, and included everything one could need from TV, radio, ipod dock, hair dryer, tea and coffee service, safe, plenty of space to unpack and store, and more. It was also light and airy. The bathroom was surprising large, with a walk-in shower and and looked newly renovated.
The breakfast was terrific too. I lingered every morning over my own french-pressed coffee. Had I not been so jet lagged I would have availed myself more of the assortment of fresh fruits, cereals, eggs (made to order, if you wished), juices, home-make cakes, quiche ,and that's just for starters. They certainly offered the full English breakfast! The staff was ingratiating and helpful and couldn't have done more to please.
I am a lap swimmer and was so pleased to discover the Olympic-size Parkside pool just a 5-minute walk away for a daily rate of just over 4 pounds (sp?). I had debated whether to spring for the Double-Tree for this reason and am so glad I didn't and saved the money for some delicious meals. I highly recommend the Oak Bistro just down the street. The duck confit is delicious.
This is not the Marriott but I was looking for a small English hotel. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel is clearly in the process of being updated so the waiting area and bar are rustic and old fashioned, but the staff were very helpful and nice and the breakfast lovely and the room was wonderfully decorated and bed very comfortable, the hotel is also very central which is the main reason very I booked but as I say a bit pricey. It's near a lot of restaurants and bars (centrally located).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

On the way to the hotel we were greeted on the motorway with signs telling us of severe weather, and believe me they were not wrong. It was freezing when we arrived however the hotel was nice and warm. During the day we had become accustomed to the heat and were able to quite easily turn the radiator down to a heat that was comfortable. The room we had was about 15 foot by 12 foot which was big enough for us. It was clean and tidy and the sheets crisp and clean. The breakfast was very good, full English along with cereals and fruit etc.The restaurant is run by two very nice ladies who can't do enough for you; I have often been in five star hotels where I have been abandoned at breakfast by disinterested staff. This certainly was not the case here, just the right amount of service and friendliness, yes one of the ladies does lift the lids off the hot plates (See previous comment) I consider this to be a nice touch but also necessary as my wife has arthritis and has difficulty in lifting lids. I would have no doubts about recommending this hotel, if you want to stay somewhere in Cambridge that is friendly ,clean and well priced then look no further. The hotel is well placed; the walk to the centre takes about 10 minutes and is a tour in itself as you walk past Kings College, Peterhouse College, Corpus Christi College the Fitzwilliam Museum (which is interesting and also free so go see). Another must is the bus tour around Cambridge centre on a double decker bus, the stop is only just around the corner outside the Fitzwilliam Museum, its simply brilliant (In Jan 2013 it cost £13 per adult, money well spent) and you can use it all day long get on and off as many times as you like. The bus also goes to the Madingley American cemetery where 3,000 servicemen rest in peace whilst a further 5,000 are remembered as their names are carved in a long memorial wall. Consider getting off the bus here and pay respects because without their ultimate sacrifice I very much doubt that I would be writing this review now. The place is so well kept and walking around it is very moving experience .There is a chapel there and also a massive map of the world showing where the aircraft flew to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We arrived before check in time and only had to wait 10min until our room was ready. The young lady at the front desk was polite but not super friendly. The room is tiny (we knew so that was not a problem) but nicely decorated. It was (very) warm and cosy with all you need. During the afternoon and the morning after we could hear quite a lot of noise from our neighbors and also from the corridor. We were not disturbed during the night though. The bathroom is extremely small, you feel like you cannot breathe when having a shower (really strong pressure). I also noticed that the shower head was disgusting (see picture)..
The most unpleasant experience was the breakfast... It is 'served' in a tiny room downstairs were 3 ladies standing by the kitchen door keep staring at you the WHOLE time, making you feel very uncomfortable.
There's a hot/cold buffet. When you go to help yourself, one of these ladies stands right by the table and watches every move you make staring at you with an awkward silence... She evens takes off the lids of the hot plates when you get near them... (I can do it myself! thanks!) Anyway, I got the message, I wont take too much food, DONT WORRY! Food wise.. Completely tasteless... Everything is coming from the cheapest brands of the supermarkets. The sausages were anything but sausages. I was hungry so I ate until... I found a brown hair in my beans.. At that point, appetite lost.. I wanted to say something but was somehow intimidated by these unpleasant ladies still standing there doing nothing but looking at you.. Maybe one of them could have actually come and see what was wrong.. Anyway, awful, tasteless and above all CREEPY breakfast...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
THEONI P, General Manager at The Lensfield, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Madam,

With regards to your review posted recently on Tripadvisor, we were shocked to read your comments regarding our Hotel.
Our priority here at the Lensfield is that we strive to make the stay of any guest a pleasant one and it therefore comes as a surprise you did not convey your disappointment to management on check out regarding your experience.

Our Hotel is quirky in effect, an old historical building of fused terraced houses, built back in the 1800’s, and therefore have rooms on all levels which guests find very enjoyable. We are currently undergoing a major new build and refurbishment upgrading the facilities of our Hotel moving forward in today’s trends.

With regards to our Breakfast we can assure you all foods are fresh and sourced from local suppliers and are not of the cheap brands you refer to. We cater for all diets and our waiting staff have been trained to a professional level and are ready to serve. We were surprised to read that you found them intimidating when all they strive to do is be subservient. We are proud to have been awarded the Tourist Board Breakfast Award for our Hotel.

We are only sorry you have had to post such a negative review.

Many thanks,

Sincerely yours,

Miss T. Paschalis (GM),
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip to the university. The location is great; an easy walk from the train station, and an easy walk to the town center. The rooms are your typically small British hotel rooms. But, they are very clean and the shower was excellent. The breakfast was also excellent. The staff were very nice too. The bed could have used a new mattress and my room facing the main road, was noisy during the day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here one night. The staff are very friendly, the location is good (10 minutes on foot from the train station and same thing to the center of town, and several restaurants even closer by). Breakfast was quite good as well. The room was clean, cosy and spacious enough, with tea and coffee. However, the walls are paper thin and we could hear every single word the neighbours said, and of course their TV... In addition, the garbage truck woke us up early in the morning and there are no shutters.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This family run hotel is - how shall I put it - full of character. OK for a 1 night stay - but any longer (unless you upgrade your room) would, for me, be impossible.The room I stayed in was probably the smallest I have ever stayed in - "swinging a cat" was a definite impossibility - even a mouse would be difficult. The hotel was also exceptionally hot - super hot in fact. And if you come by car, be aware that there are only 5 parking places - so arrive early. However the breakfast is great, the room (small as it maybe) is well equipped, and the location is great (easy walking distance to the centre of Cambridge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Lensfield? Share your experiences!