“City centre location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
High Halden Kent
“City centre location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was a perfect hotel for being able to leave the car parked whilst we attended a wedding four days before Christmas, at one of the colleges, where parking was not possible. The efficient and friendly reception staff arranged a taxi, which ensured a smooth journey through the overcrowded streets. The room was quiet, spotlessly clean and on the ground floor which was very convenient for accessing the car, given the amount of luggage we had for the stay of two nights! The only down side was that the food ordered, on arrival at the table, did not always match the description on the menu, for example a fish pie without the advertised prawns and savoury cheese sandwiches (bar service) smothered in pickle and tuna in basic white bread (no choice offered). Whilst no explanation was offered for the pie, the cheese sandwiches were changed without any fuss. The breakfast provided plenty of choice but the scrambled eggs were somewhat unpalatable. The rack of lamb at dinner was, however, cooked to perfection for someone who enjoys it 'pink' -a treat my husband rarely experiences! We will certainly book this hotel again if we visit Cambridge.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room for ease of access to car park, without the need to use the lift, which...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hotel is ideally located for sightseeing and shopping. The large car park is a plus. the hotel is also about 15 to 20 mins walk to the railway station.The reception staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. We appreciated it their willingness to extend the checkout time by one hour. The room was quiet and the bed excellent. The breakfast was just average. My benchmark for quality is freshly squeezed orange juice, this was not the case. A supplement of £3.95 was charged for items such as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.Overall, a pleasant and enjoyable visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
COgston1, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear MrNinks

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback from your recent stay at the Gonville.
I am delighted to know that you found the location of the hotel very convenient. I would certainly agree, the central location is perfect; just a short walk away from the historic Cambridge attractions and cosmopolitan shopping destinations. With our free off-road car park facility visiting the City couldn’t be any easier and more appealing.
Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff; they truly care about the guests and will always thrive to provide a pleasant and memorable experience to everyone.
Our contemporary bedrooms are designed to make the stay very relaxing and I am pleased to know that you found the bed comfortable and your accommodation satisfying.
I am sorry to hear that your breakfast was disappointing. We provide varied continental buffet breakfast with lots of choices of cereal, fruit, hams, cheeses, fish platter, yoghurts, freshly baked Danish pastries, croissants and bread rolls; in addition to that we serve our fresh, cooked to order hot breakfast. We believe to provide a good value and felt that the extra charge for two additional items of the menu is only minimal.
Thank you for your much appreciated feedback. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in near future.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel continues to improve. We have stayed here several times and this occason rates with the best. All the staff were welcoming and polite and the room was large with a very comfortable king sized bed, desk, wardrobe, TV and Wi Fi (free). The bathroom was a comfortable size with a good bath and shower over.
We ate dinner in the restaurant, and I am difficult to please due to having Coeliac Disease (allergy to gluten). The staff gave confidence that they understood my condition, and the kitchen were happy to make minor changes to the dishes if necessary so that they were compatible (e.g. provide a different sauce). Unusually, there was a good range of gluten free choices on the menu. The food was well presented and delicious - and I had no after-effects from my allergy. (Many places say the understand but afterwards I find that they did not....!)
The location is ideal for central Cambridge, with free parking and about a 5 minutes walk to the shoping centre.
Highly recommended. We will be returning!

Room Tip: If you pprefer a bath to a shower, request this with your booking
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
COgston1, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear David K
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. I am pleased to read that your stay at the Gonville hotel and dinner at Atruim restaurant were both very enjoyable.
It is good to hear that you found the location of our hotel very convenient. Indeed, the Gonville hotel is just a short walk away from the historic centre of Cambridge and with our free off-road car park facility visiting the City couldn’t be any easier and more appealing.
Our newly refurbished bedrooms and well appointed bathrooms are designed to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible; and we are pleased to know that you found your accommodation satisfying.
Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and the service. I will be sure to share your feedback with my Team; including our chefs; as it is such a great motivator for them – thank you – it really is very much appreciated. Our Chefs are always willing to please and make any changes to fulfil any dietary requirements or special requests.
I certainly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. It is in the heart of Cambridge perfectly located. The rooms are just stunning. I had a double room was very big with a fantastic king size very comfortable bed. I had a wet room for my bathroom with a walk in shower. This was amazing. There was also complimentary bottled water, tv and free wifi. The only disappointing thing was that I called reception for an iron and it never turned up. I called back down 40 mins later to find out that housekeeping were still looking for one. One hour later still nothing and it was too later by then as I was heading out. I came back later to find the iron in my room, little disappointing but would definitely stay here again if I was visiting the beautiful city of Cambridge.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Stuartboyd85,

Thank you for your recent review. Firstly, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the central location of our hotel very appealing. The close proximity from The Gonville hotel to the historic city is very attractive and of great benefit for our guests..
I am also delighted to hear that our newly refurbished, modern bedrooms, well appointed bathrooms and free wi-fi made your stay very comfortable and satisfying.
I am very sorry for the delay in delivering an iron and ironing board to your room. We experienced a high volume of same requests but as soon as we had availability we were able to deliver. Please kindly accept my sincere apologies we will have to order more so that this isn’t an issue again!
Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wishing you a happy New Year!
Wisbech, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I often do day trips to Cambridge and on this occasion my best friend and I decided on a short weekend break and chose this hotel-after reading previous reviews.
WOW-we were not disappointed with our selection. A beautiful hotel that was so clean and welcoming.Super comfy beds and nice hot showers.
ALL the staff were smartly dressed,friendly, very poliye and accommodating.
The location is perfect-a FIVE minute walk into the City centre AND we were allocated 2 parking spaces.
The cooked breakfast was excellent-my only criticism was I like my bacon extra crispy(But hey,I am sure they would have cooked it for me that way if I had asked-which I didn't).
EXCELLENT value for money and we were both made to feel extra special indeed.
We will DEFINITELY be coming here again

Room Tip: We had a front facing room and it wasn't noisy at all-The insulation is very good
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
COgston1, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Andrew B,

Thank you for talking the time to leave such a wonderful review. I am delighted to read that your stay at the Gonville hotel was beyond your expectations.

I am also pleased that our recently refurbished, well appointed bedrooms, décor and amenities suited your requirements. We are indeed very proud of our modern accommodation, comfortable beds and stylish bathrooms, which we initially implemented following guest feedback.

The hotel; centrally located with free car park facility; provided a perfect location for your trip to Cambridge and I am very pleased to hear that you found it very convenient. Also, thank you for your compliments on our breakfast, which is always fresh and cooked to order.

I will be sure to share your kind comments with my team here. I certainly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon, where my friendly and professional team can look after you again.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here before this trip - ideally located for exploring the City, Colleges and Shopping on foot. Excellent car parking so no need to worry about city car parks.

Unfortunately, this time we had a room with no windows and the air conditioning appeared to be having a problem.

The night staff moved us to another room at around 1:00 a. m. and whilst we were out the following day, they changed our room to a perfect alternative, moved our luggage for us and left a gift and letter of apology in the new room. So by the time we staggered in from a day of Christmas shopping and crowds, the staff had "changed our day".

We thought the food and restaurant service was excellent. OK - this was (surprisingly) not a busy period for the Gonville but all was excellent, and the older I get, the harder I am to please.

We stayed at the same time in 2012 with friends and everything was just as good then. We would recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Perhpas best to ask for a room with a window and so long as the a/c is functioning, the rooms in the...
Dear Robert_GrumpyB

It is my pleasure to read your kind review of your most recent visit to The Gonville hotel.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the problem with air-conditioning in your first bedroom and the inconvenience of moving to another one, thank you for letting us know about the problem and giving us the opportunity to resolve this for you.

I am delighted that you appreciated the convenient location of the hotel, which is very close to the historic centre of Cambridge. I am also pleased to read how highly you valued the quality of food and the service from our teams. It is our priority to make our guests stays memorable and I am happy to hear that our reception team ‘changed your day’ into a positive experience.

Once again, thank you for your much appreciated comments and we hope to get the chance of welcoming you back to the hotel again, in the meantime have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend with a group of friends to celebrate my husbands 50th - reservation staff were excellent at accommodating my rooming and dining requests as I had to make special arrangements for surprise guests. All the staff at the hotel were friendly, helpful and efficient. Meal that we had booked in the hotel on our first night was excellent as we're the breakfasts. Rooms were comfortable and well equipped. Have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sue D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent visit to The Gonville. I am delighted to read that you chose our hotel to celebrate your husbands 50th birthday and I am also pleased to know how much you both appreciated the whole experience - including our professional service, recently refurbished bedrooms and your celebration dinner. Our chefs take great pride in preparing freshly cooked dishes and I can assure you they will continue to meet your requirements and expectations on your future visits. I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team here and I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Gonville Hotel? Share your experiences!