“Great Hotel - well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

What a great hotel!!!

We stayed at the Hilton for a weekend away in February and it was simply brilliant!!!

The hotel is centrally located with parking close by. Some of the previous ratings have complained about the £18.50 parking charge but in the Hilton's defense, you can arrive any time on the day of check in and can leave as late as you want on the day you check out. I think it would be a struggle to find anywhere else as cheap to leave the car for two days in a city centre location.

We had a river view room which was great. All needs are catered for (although the mini bar is pricey!!) and the staff are very attentive and helpful.

The breakfast is a little pricey but good food and the bar is open until late and the bar staff were friendly and great and nothing was too much trouble.

My only slight 'niggle' was that the water pressure in the bathroom was a little low and the shower was disappointing.

We didn't try the leisure facilities but looking at the size of the pool building then don't book this based on spending hours swimming!

Great hotel, central location. Would book again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get a room with a river view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mikeyd1982
Thank you for your review, I was very happy to read that you will return to the hotel based on your successful stay in February. And also very happy to see that you understood and concurred with our car parking charges. It is a pleasure to read constructive feedback such as yours and I know all our team members will be looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sanur, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

An excellent location for Sunday lunch having a lovely view over the River Cam however , the food was very disappointing. The starters on the buffet table are very limited in choice and only a choice of 3 salads for vegetarians! The mains were not presented on an appetising way , with the food looking rather sad! The joints were meagre, the salmon well baked and dry and the pasta dish looked like pigs' swill! The vegetables were also very scant... with no selection as with other buffets which I have eaten at.
The dessert cakes were all bought in and very synthetic. The fruit salad lacked interesting fruit.
All in all... very disappointing.
The area in which the food is served is too small and cramped.
Surely, someone could revamp this to make it a really good Sunday carvery lunch which is sadly lacking in Cambridge.
Not cheap at £26 per head.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Ann4all
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your last Sunday Carvery at the DoubleTree Cambridge. We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations, for which I offer my most sincere apology. We will take this opportunity to re-evaluate the experience we offer for Sunday Carvery and improve it to the best of our abilities. We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future to experience this for yourself.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Pretty much bangin the middle of Cambridge this low rise hotel is situated on the side of one of Cambridge's waterways. All the ancient and not so ancient colleges are within working distance. A one night stay at the end of January can anticipate how busy it may get mid summer but the hotel appears to have a calm setting. A balcony room is a nice upgrade the beds are very comfortable and the breakfast buffet perfectly adequate. If I use this hotel at a different time of year I'll update this review but for now corporate Hilton is doing a decent job here.

• Stayed January 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked in for just 1 night, Room, Breakfast & Evening Meal - Very nice hotel our room had a balcony and river view, unfortunately we were not able to get the full benefit of this as it was at the end of January and freezing cold. The hotel is situated right in the heart of Cambridge and is just right for exploring this university city. There are sports facities including a pool but unfortunately we didn't make time to try these out. The cost is very expensive, our room is priced at £225 per night so unless you can negotiate a deal the costs can mount up. My biggest gripe was the fee for parking your car, almost £20 per night which seemed expensive seeing as you were already paying a high rate for the room.

Room Tip: The rooms with a river view are nice but you pay a premium.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Terry J
Thank you for your comments, glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry to hear that your only disappointing fact was the car parking charges. These charges are comparable to other major city centre car parking charges and to that of the alternative option for a guest in using a NCP car park in Cambridge. It is also a very compatible value for many as guests can leave the car from the early hours of the day checking in and for the remaining of the day after they have checked out. We do ensure that these charges are clearly advertised both at the entrance to the car park and also on our own and third party booking websites so that alternate arrangements can be made if necessary. For now, I can only hope this will not deterred you from returning to the hotel as we sincerely look forward to having you with us again in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I already have a reservation with the hotel fot eh week of 11th February, and I needed to change this so i could arrive one day earlier. It took 3 calls to the Cambridge number before I finally was able to sort this small matter out.

Not only is there a options to go through before you get to speak with soeone, but it ends up with an operator in the USA - who then puts you on hold while he phone the hotel in Cambridge! This happened 3 times and three times he either never came back or i was cut of by the US Hilton system!

Why make getting in contact so difficult! When I eventually did get through to the hotel, there was no mention of an appology - very poor customer service. I am not sure what to expect at this hotel based on this initial experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Our sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced whilst trying to contact the hotel. It is Hilton standard to be put in contact with our central customer service operators for individual bookings, I am sorry if they were not helpful enough and mostly my sincere apologies if once diverted directly to the hotel no apology was offered. I am confident you will enjoy your stay at the DoubleTree Cambridge, our central location and great facilities.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Having experienced Afternoon Tea at Raffles,The Ritz, Betty's of Harrogate and other smaller establishments I think I can judge quality and value for that quality and Doubletree fell far short on both counts.The bubbly was nice but the sandwiches had minimal fillings,the single scone each had to be sent back for something that looked the part,the 3 cakes were tasteless with two of them being miniscule and whilst my wife's pot of tea was acceptable my coffee was delivered in a cup though I was told I could have another one if I so wished (it seems as though the do not do pots).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Mike b
I was very sorry to read of your disappointing Afternoon Tea experience. I was very surprised at your comments as we generally receive excellent feedback from very happy customers. However, I can understand this was not the case on this occasion for which I offer my most sincere apology. Should you be kind enough to contact me directly I will endeavour to try to restore your faith in the DoubleTree Cambridge.
Thirsk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent a wonderful weekend in Cambridge for a wedding in December 2012. The location of this hotel is superb. It was walking distance to everything and has nice views, is easy to find etc etc. The service is spot on - polite, helpful, cheerful. The room was fine - a bit formulaic, and lacking in excitement but clean and we were upgraded upon arrival to a balcony room at no cost because of a party they had downstairs (this moved us further from the noise apparently). Breakfast was a buffet, with a chef doing his thing with eggs - again all good. My only issue, and it's big enough to have me 'downgrade' the overall rating to a 3, is the price - £200 a night (on online 'deal' that included breakfast thank goodness) and additional for parking (2X£17), which took me a while to get over. I have stayed in very similar standard hotels for less, or occasionally, much less. They also seem excessively concerned in the feedback they requested from me about whether the cookie I had received on checking-in had been warm. It was but I didn't really give a stuff - I would have preferred a minibar, room and parking that didn't leave me feeling slightly exploited. But, beyond that whinge - a very nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, liked the amenities and our team members’ service. We honestly hope you will not be deterred from returning to the hotel as we look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge.

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge? Share your experiences!