“Excellent stay, weird waiter” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Granta Place, Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1RT, England   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
“Excellent stay, weird waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed for a family celebration. Excellent room (is 128 bigger than usual?) and good food and mostly good service. One oddity was a very over-familiar and slightly sleazy waiter at dinner who seemed to be trying rather too hard to press my sister whilst providing barely adequate service to the rest of us.
That aside, I would certainly stay there again. Beds good and despite a wedding, no noise from the function room. Especially impressive with the captive market that is Cambridge.

• Stayed August 2011
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear henryfrank
Thank you for the review following your family celebration with us. Room 128 is one of our executive rooms on the edge of the river and is certainly very peaceful. This along with our Sweet Dreams bedding certainly gaurantees a comfy sleep. I'm sorry to hear that the waiter was over familiar with your sister and will pass this feedback to the restaurant team. Its good to learn you are planning to come in the future. Kind regards Greg Crawford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Location is great, close to the centre of town and by the river. The receptionist was very welcoming on our arrival. Our rooms were very modern and clean. There is a fitness centre attached which can be accessed through the hotel which has a jacuzzi, steam room and pool, just thing to help you unwind. Unfortunately we didn't try the restaurant but the bar was good with a large selection of cocktails. Breakfast was lovely with great views of the river.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear pinkflower2809
Further to you sipping cocktails on the terrace watching the world go by thanks for posting the review ! I'm pleased to hear that you made good use of the leisure club as well during your stay with us. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to the Front of House team for the friendly welcome. I do hope we will see you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford
Elvistheterrier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lets get the bad things out of the way. Rooms are tired looking (and we do not stay in 'swanky' hotels). Had to wait after 3.00pm for our room, as there was a room check. The room check missed dusty tea and coffee facilities and shelving, cobwebs on the patio furniture, previous guests cigarette ash in ashtray, when going into the bathroom there was a mould smell which turned out to be the showercurtain. Some of the channels dont work onthe TV.Bar area was very atrractive but the prices were extorionate, people complained at Pimms being £7.00 at wimbledon this year, they would have had a heart attack paying the same price here, pint of lager is £4.25 nearly a £1.00 more expensive than the local bars.

Good things. You cannot fault the service and attitude of the staff, nothing is too much trouble. The beds in the room where really comfortable and the quality of the pillows were amazing, I had the best nights sleep in weeks. The gardens lovely, it helped with the sunny weather, we sat watching people on the river and cows on the meadow.
Hotel is in the perfect position for walking round the city. The car park is £17.50 but it is for your whole stay, which is a bargain, when you see how much you pay in the other car parks.
Breakfast in the morning, best I have had in a hotel. The quality of the produce second to none. Was good fun watching the children getting their pancakes from an amazing machine that I had never seen before, they were delicious too, again the staff were great at seating people and keeping on top of the clearing of tables.
In total, if we had paid the full rack rate we would have been disappointed, but we paid through expedia and got a cheaper price.
We will definately be back, we can live with a few cons when the pros far outweigh them.

Room Tip: Drink elsewhere. Find a cheaper deal online
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Elvistheterrier
Thanks for the review. I'm really pleased that you will definately come back and stay with us and that you found the service and staff attitude good.The Pancake machine certainly is a real treat at breakfast ! I understand that you booked through Expedia this time. I can reassure you that the best rates will always be available on our own website and never via a 3rd party. We do have a best rates gaurantee policy if you book via our website and find it cheaper elsewhere we honour a $50 discount. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Hiltons can be hit or miss but this one was a HIT!
Good points: Lovely rooms, overlooking the river, cute balcony, very snuggly beds, luxury and great location to see Cambridge from. Great dinner too!
Bad points: Bit slow at reception and no offer of help with bags.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Likemonicainfriends
Thanks for the review following your stay. I'm really pleased to hear we were a 'HIT' and that you had a great stay with us. I appreciate the feedback about reception and concierge and will review this with our Friont of House Manager. Kind regards Greg Crawford
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Great location on the river only downside to the two night stay was not being able to get the air-conditioning to reduce the heat in our room.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Reelaction
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the enviable location and the comfy bed, we certainly get many positive comments about our Sweet Dreams Bedding. I also appreciate the feedback about the air cooling in your room and will ensure the matter is investigated. I do hope we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Was a little apprehensive going here as the prices are pretty high (although not far off other nearby hotels) and there were some poor reviews on Trip Advisor. However I found it to be an excellent, quality hotel. I stayed in a junior suite with balcony overlooking the river. On arrival my car was parked for me and luggage taken to my room. The hotel is really close to the city centre and has a super bar and restaurant, although dinner in the restaurant was a little disappointing as my main course was cold. Breakfasts are buffet style, and frankly the best hotel breakfast I have had in some time. I will be going back to Cambridge soon and definitely staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms with riverview / balcony are best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Lucy F
Thanks for reviewing our hotel. I was pleased to learn that overall your stay was good value for the price paid, the servcie met your expectations and that breakfast was the best hotel one that you've had. I was however disappointed that the dinner was not hot and I will certainly discuss the matter with our Head Chef to monitor this feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I use trip adviser to plan all our trips home and abroad so when I post a report I try to be as honest and fair as possible. After reading some of the reviews which I found a little mixed we were unsure what to expect. We arrived on 1st August for a three day trip. First thing is to be careful if you are using a sat nav to get you to the hotel . I believe the hotel has contacted the people who write the maps for the sat navs as there seems to be some problems. We arrived a little early and our room was not ready but my first inpression was how very helpful and pleasant the reception staff were.We were very surprised how upmarket the lobby and bar area were. We found no evidence of it being dated and tired like some other reviews remarked .I can only assume these people stay in some very swanky hotels. We were issued with room 208. What a lovely surprise! The room had two large patio widows which slid back to give a great garden and river view from the 2nd floor, a huge king size bed with quality linen .The room also had a very useful fridge and a nice large flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean and modern, again I cannot believe reports that they were tired looking. The breakfast was one of the best I have had in an hotel in the UK .Buffet style, there was plenty of choice and piping hot .The restaurant has atmosphre and style not offen found in hotel restaurants.One of the mornings it was very busy but the staff were excellent even the General Manager of the hotel , Greg Crawford, was pitching in to keep things moving. Also a young lady, I am unsure of her name, I think a french lady ,maybe the restaurant manager ,was remakable in her work rate helping cleaning tables, seating people , overall excellent staff.
The back of the hotel has a lovely outside sitting area which overlooks the river, a very pleasant area to watch the punters go by on a warm sunny day, yes the bar prices are higher than the pubs in town. I found that a pint in the hotel was £3-90 and outside around £3-30 but you are sitting in a lovely setting. The only negative I can find in the hotel was that not enough people seem to use the bar and lounge in the evenings because they are really nice. Maybe this is because of the prices as Cambridge town centre is only a few steps outside the hotel.To finally finish, we would without doubt recommend this hotel , the staff ,decor , restaurant , the position I could not fault.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Storton
Thank you so much for the detailed review of your recent stay with us. We're very pleased to learn that all aspects of your stay were enjoyable. I will certainly pass on your comments to the reception team and restaurant supervisor as its good to see their service commitment does not go unnoticed. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge? Share your experiences!