“not great.. not terrible! So and so” 3 of 5 stars

University Arms Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1AD, England   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
milano
“not great.. not terrible! So and so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

this hotel is ok.. it's not as terrible as i read in some reviews but it wasn't worthy the money we paid for.
The air cond was broken and it was boiling hot; vent in the bathroom didn't work and it was again really hot.
Very dated, I would say it's a very average 3 star

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. This is the busiest time of year for Cambridge, with the Tour De France and Graduations. The hotel is located so centrally to everything that is going on, that the demand for its rooms is very high, however, I am sure you will find that we are the most reasonably priced in the city.
Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. August is a little bit quieter, and our rates reflect the demand!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Louisville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

If you are visiting the university and looking for a nice place to stay, DO NOT stay here. We thought we were investing in a 4 star quality hotel. We were looking for air conditioning (for July), good location for walking distance to schools and restaurants, and a nice quality room.

When we checked in, there was a high school prom going on. Not kidding...

Randomness aside, we got to our room and it had an old, musty feeling. It was cleaned, but the room itself was old and felt dirty. The window was facing a soccer field and it was loud and warm. The AC unit was broken. We called the front desk to ask if we could switch to another room and it turns out none of the AC worked...

We were on the third floor and the elevator is from 1927- one with a metal gate, looks like it is right off the Titanic- charming at first- annoying when actually try to use it with lots of luggage.

The staff was nice enough but all of them spoke English as their second language and were very young. Not the experience we were looking for.

The "free wifi" only worked in the corner of our room where the luggage was supposed to sit, so we had to sit in that corner in order of the room to use the internet.

All in all, it felt like the kind of place we would stay while backpacking in college- a step up from a hostel- but for what this hotel charges, insane!

After one night, we checked out and moved to the Cambridge City Hotel right around the corner- which we HIGHLY recommend and was cheaper!!!

• Stayed July 2014
I am sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. Just to clarify a couple of things though. The hotel is not listed as a four star, however do let us know if you see anywhere and we will amend this. The hotel is a corporate hotel, offering the best banqueting facilities in the city with the fabulous Ballroom and its oak-panelled walls and outlooks onto the historic Parker’s Piece. Just to clarify also, the”soccer field” it is not – it is a famous bit of parkland, called Parker’s Piece, where all sorts of historic events have taken place. Whilst guests have enjoyed the quirky historic lift dating back to 1927, I am sorry that you found it annoying. All in all, I think you are more suited to the modern, purpose build hotels, rather than the 200 year historic Cambridge University Arms.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel staff here are absolutely superb, I had no issues checking in. Prior to arrival I noticed them of a disability, and they just went out of the way to help, I can't fault them. The only problem was the air conditioning was broken due to some problems with the system and the fan provided barely made any difference. This did leave the room hot even with the fan on full strength. The only fault appeared in the morning I could get no hot water for the shower for 10-20 minutes when I had it in the sink. The staff said they'd look into that. The other issue was no help was offered with a plate at breakfast and when I told them the mushrooms seemed cold the whole mushroom plate from the hot plate went almost like there was a missed problem. I can't fault bar staff they recognised me when I visited the bar and I really am impressed but the duty manager seemed to agree they could have done better at breakfast. I can say Andrew the afternoon duty manager can't be faulted - he is one of the best staff in the team there and I'm really impressed with his awareness of the assistance people with disability need. I think the stay would have been far better with working air conditioning but considering they close end of September for a two year refurbishment things like this are understandable.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will pass them onto the staff members, as it is through these motivating, positive comments that remind us of why we work in the hospitality industry. The employees at the University Arms Hotel work give to make all guest’s stay as enjoyable and memorable as they can. There is a problem with the air-conditioning units, however this will be rectified with the refurbishment plan that is scheduled for September. I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future and I thank you again for your feedback on the hotel.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I am a 16 year old girl who had their prom at the hotel in July. After much anticipation, I was left feeling very let down. At first the disappointment started with many of the dishes we had pre ordered being removed from the menu, and then them running out of the other choices. Considering we had preordered I was very disappointed. When my main course turned up I had the chicken, when this arrived the carrots were dry, shrivelled and hard and the broccoli was raw. I spoke to the waitress, who was foreign who's response was "I don't know" and this demonstrated she had no clue about the procedures of the Hotel. I spoke to someone higher up the chain who just showed no interest and said she'd tell the chef, offering no solution to my cold, sub-standard food. I felt that because I was young my complaint was dismissed without any real consideration.
The ballroom is small with a dance floor that is too small for the room making it difficult to dance and things got very hectic. Overall, for the price we paid for a much anticipated leavers ball which we had done a lot of fundraising for, we were left feeling disappointed and I would not reccomend it at all.

• Stayed July 2014
Christine G, Sales and Marketing Executive at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel and your function. We take all guest feedback very seriously, however I would like to say that we received a thank you card today from the organiser to say it had been the best dinner ever. Vegetables can be quite difficult to serve to the individual’s satisfaction as often the chef likes to cook a little Al dente to retain their flavour and nutrients, however, being a mother of three, I know that my children like them over-cooked. Difficult one, however, I must say, you are the only one that I know of, from a party of over 100 guests that had any problems. The Ballroom is the largest hotel banqueting suite in the city centre, so I am not sure what venue you would find better to meet your demands? Anyway, aside from this enjoy your summer holidays.
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at Univ. Arms hotel Cambridge 27-29 June 2014. Fine hotel, good 'Graduation' meal, lovely staff, good breakfast, comfortable bed. BUT...... stayed in room 207 facing into St Andrew St/Andrew St/ Fountain bar area. The hotel bar closed to residents at 10pm in the evenings . This was a bit odd (coming from Ireland 1.00am closing time!), the air conditioning was out of action so windows were open.. and closed about 4.30am.. however, the real issue was the night club in the same street. At 6.00am I was still trying to get to sleep particularly on the Saturday night/Sun morning, whilst revellers made baboon noises up and down the street and composed songs about 'needing a taxi'.(none of which were very good or I would have told them to stop at that one!!). I felt that the hotel ought to be paying me to stay there, not charging me. Exhausted, next day checked out and later fell down some steps damaging my neck. I SUGGEST THAT HOTEL MANAGER SLEEPS IN ROOM 207 DURING A WEEKEND PERIOD TO GET AN IDEA OF THE LEVEL OF NOISE FROM PEOPLE SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER IN THE STREET AND TRAFFIC THAT STARTS UP WHEN THE PUB CLOSES. .. If we ever return, it will be on the understanding that this pub is closed/residents bar stays open/ we sleep at the back of the building. .. any one would work.

Room Tip: Dont sleep at the front. (well, you won't be doing any sleeping at the front of this hotel, simp...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We had to stay local to the city centre for a daughters graduation and a gran who couldn't walk far so choice was limited

We booked two rooms for two nights arriving Friday afternoon to find the non-hotel owned advertised car park was full. There was no parking elsewhere so a two mile walk back to the hotel after taking the car to the daughters college. And seemingly no way to book a space. Saturday night full too so.....
The two bedrooms were both tired with one rooms carpet threadbare. Neither air conditioning worked so windows open at night but on busy road that all the buses used meant a noisy night. The kettle wouldn't fit under the small bathroom basin tap so filling it was from a small glass. TV ok, bed comfortable and nice duvet. But worn decor and carpets.
Restaurent food ok, bar and lounge area ok too.
But poor parking and very tired rooms at a not cheap cost meant this was. An inconvenient place to stay and poor value for money

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the park not the main roads
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I booked a room here for two nights to visit a family friend who was about to graduate. Having chosen it for its parking and central location, I was slightly nervous in the light of some of the comments of other reviewers. However, I had a delightful room in the newer part of the hotel with a comfortable double bed and everything was in full working order; the bathroom was fine. Breakfast is served in a magnificent large room overlooking Parker's Piece and my cooked breakfast came very quickly on both mornings. The parking in the underground car park was fine and I didn't mind paying extra for the privilege given the acute shortage of parking in Cambridge. The only real problem I had was getting there - the postcode entered into my Tomtom satnav brought me down a narrow lane adjacent to Parker's Piece with bollards at the end which meant I could not reach the hotel and had acute difficulty even turning round. You need to turn left at the crossroads before you reach Parker's Piece otherwise you will make the same mistake. This brings you to the front of the hotel and the car parking (both in front of the hotel and underground). Finally I was delighted to find I was only a few minutes walk from John Lewis - an added bonus. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to University Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!