“Enjoyed our stay, would stay again” 5 of 5 stars

University Arms Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1AD, England   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay, would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here for four nights. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location of the hotel is excellent, a short walk to the city centre, colleges, shops etc. There are many eateries within a hundred yards or so, and lots and lots in the city centre. Our room was in the newer extension towards the front of the hotel but we still had a view of the park. The walls are very thick, we couldn't hear anything from adjoining rooms, which is not always the case, the beds were comfy, good quality bedding, and the curtains were thick, keeping light out. There was a 'proper' kettle, not a flimsy plastic one, there was lots of storage space in the room, and there was free Wi-Fi throughout. The public areas of the hotel are beautiful, and the staff attentive. The choice and quality of the breakfasts were very good, and we also had food in the bar which was also good. Some of the reviewers on the site have mentioned noise outside overnight. Fair enough, Saturday night had noisy people passing by on the street, but every town and city centre in the land gets this. Blame the licensing laws and young people with little or no volume control, can't blame the hotel for this.

Room Tip: Perhaps the full park view would be quieter, but we didn't choose to pay the extra for this.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
andrew w, Manager at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Many thanks for the review you posted after your recent stay with us, and that I hope you and daughter had a wonderful experience of the hotel and Cambridge.

With regard to the bedrooms we have where possible thought how we can make the stay more enjoyable, whether this be a home style kettle as mentioned, ample storage and free wifi. One of the bonuses of an earlier building type is the thickness of walls, which allows for reduced noise levels from adjoining rooms as mentioned by yourself. The public areas where possible have been kept in-line with the character of the main part of the building and this encompassed with the attentive staff, gives for a relaxed and peaceful stay.

As you mention we are in a busty centre and work closely with local authorities to ensure noise levels are monitored as closely as possible.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope too see you again at the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Helsinki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed on a busy Saturday night at the hotel. The staff were always professional and helpful but the hotel itself is terribly old fashioned and dated. Not in a charming nice friendly way, but in a 'why am I paying so much to stay in this dump' kind of way. Apart from the shabby and cheap furnishings a particular low-point was the fact that the air conditioning didn't work and the heating in our room was turned on full. Not such a problem maybe until the controller broke off in my hand meaning that there was nothing I could do to escape from the sauna like temperatures. After complaining we were moved to another room, this one much cooler but right next to the air ventilation system output which kept us up most of the night. All in all not great.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Matthew O,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit. I appreciate you pointing out that are teams are professional & helpful; I am delighted to hear this. We are truly fortunate have a great team who pride themselves on genuine hospitality and service.

Of course, I was very sorry to read that your hotel rooms failed to live up to your exceptions and that the air conditioning was not operating. It is true that a proportion of our room stock requires updating. I am pleased to report that planning permission has already been submitted to Cambridge City Council and we are awaiting approval.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly for your lack of sleep. It is my sincerest wish that should you be returning to Cambridge at any point we may be afforded the opportunity of accommodating you.

Should you wish to contact me for anything, please do so on
matthew.morgan@universityarmshotel.com

Thank you again.

Cirencester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the University Arms. Very welcoming and lovely staff. We had the Queens Suite, which was out of this world and highly recommended. The central position was very good as a point from which to see all of Cambridge. Would recommend to anyone and we will definitely be revisiting.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Queens Suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear CirencesterBint,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am most grateful to you and was delighted to read such a flattering review.

I do hope that in the not too distant future I will be afforded the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel ahead of several meetings in Cambridge. When I arrived the reception staff looked awkwardly at me and without saying anything got the manager who said there had been a fire earlier in the week meaning a section of the hotel was not available anymore. He quickly added I should have been contacted my my booking agent (I hadn't) therefore removing all responsibility from him. He made me sit in the reception watching other guests check in whilst he booked me in a room in a close by hotel. This was way out of town (£12 in a taxi - which they did pay for) and they sent me off there meaning I picked up a bill for two return trips into town that afternoon and evening which the hotel will not cover.

A fire is not an ideal situation and these things happen however the way it was dealt with In terms of communication and then finding something to meet what I needed (I.e in town) was poor. There may well have been other events on in town that day meaning other centre hotels were busy however that is irrelevant to me. A poor showing all round and not somewhere I will ever stay. The inside looked pretty dated and staff were young and not really well equipped at dealing with customer, particularly angry ones! Wouldn't recommend based on my experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jamsimsafc,

Thank you for your recent post.

I am sorry that your reservation needed to be moved to another hotel. However, as you point out the reason for this was clear.

Since your username of Jamsimsafc does not give me much to go on when trying to track down your reservation, therefore I am unable to look into the specifics. Nevertheless, you have made some points that I am grateful for the opportunity of addressing.

Perhaps my front desk team felt a little awkward; after all it is never easy to deliver bad news. Also added to the fact that we would have been under the impression that you had been contacted by your booking agent, thereby already been redirected to your new hotel.

Also, we were very keen that anyone who had their reservations moved due to the fire, would be spoken to by a duty manager. I would like to point out that at no time would any of our team attempt to shift blame, as you so eloquently put it. After all, in situations like these, it is not a matter of blame.

I am also grateful for the opportunity to point out that when bookings come via agents we will not always be privy to direct contact details and we would need to work with the booking partners in order to contact guests prior to arrival. Out of the many hundreds of reservations that needed to be contacted, a small number either had bounced back emails or we were unable to contact them due to phone numbers being incorrect.

In relation to your comments pertaining to my team, well, firstly I fail to see what age would have to do with anything. Furthermore, I would also add that clearly my teams are equipped, as they have done an outstanding job over what was a very difficult period.

Jamsimsafc, I really do understand your frustrations and of course the situation was far from ideal. Please rest assured that we, here did everything possible to keep guest disruption to a minimum. I am just sorry that you remain unsatisfied.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Henley on Arden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis and I find that standards very good and most importantly the staff friendly and helpful.
The food is also very good, the standards in the restaurant have also improved in the last year.
When you travel as often as I do it is nice to get a consistant welcome and to be aware that you will always have a nice stay.

Thank you again University Arms!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Warwickshire80,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It is always wonderful to hear from our frequent guests.

I am delighted that you continue to find our teams helpful and friendly and that food and quality of service in the restaurant has improved over the last year.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms, Cambridge.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We booked and paid for the best suite in this hotel 5 months in advance of our wedding night (last year) and also emailed the hotel's wedding team to say we would be staying (they'd quoted us for holding our reception there and whilst we didn't choose that venue we were pleased enough with the service that we decided we'd stay there).

On the night, we arrived and were asked to sit in the lobby for c.30mins, in our morning coat and wedding dress. No explanation, not even a glass of water whilst we waited. Eventually someone emerged to tell us the hotel was fully booked and there had been a 'booking error' (they sold our room to someone else, even though we'd paid). No apology, I think because the staff member was paralysed with mortification.

They told us we would be refunded and had booked a taxi for another hotel. They'd found us a basic room in a 3*. I asked them to please find a room of equivalent standard or at least a hotel of the same class and they said everywhere was full. I asked them to call the Hotel Felix, which is where we stayed (v nice by the way). I then told them politely but firmly told them they would be paying for it, given they had not seen fit to offer.

The next day we expected a call from a manager to apologise, but received none. I called the hotel and asked for someone to call me. Nothing. So after two days I called De Vere's PR dept and later that afternoon the hotel manager, Mr Wilkes, called demanding to know who had said I would call him. He delegated our complaint to another manager who did actually apologise with sincerity and kindly offered us a free night's stay or a meal for two. We accepted the meal and received a voucher.

We are due to attend another wedding in Cambridge this January so emailed the hotel and said actually we would prefer to have the night's stay. After two weeks and a follow up email we did eventually receive a response (apparently the recent fire meant their emails stopped working). Mr Wilkes refused the request due to new ownership. I said, not to worry, we would like to come for dinner then. He asked for a scanned copy of the voucher which I thought was odd. Having pulled it from the drawer and checked it, the voucher had an expiry on it and I was advised this morning that apparently the hotel will now not honour it due to a change in ownership and the insurmountable difficulties with auditing that such an immense act of goodwill would entail.

On that basis, I am unfortunately unable to review either the food nor the accommodation, as we have never actually succeeded in trying either! We had chosen to be discreet about the matter, but given the abysmal attitude both on the day and since, we feel on reflection other couples might wish to be aware lest they consider trusting them with something more involved, like a wedding reception!

A wedding night is a once-in-a-lifetime affair and whilst this hotel certainly did not succeed in ruining our big day, their overall attitude has really irritated us. The one gesture they did make, in paying for our night's accommodation elsewhere, felt like it was offered begrudgingly because they desperately wanted us to disappear from sight/alleviate their own awkwardness rather than because they felt it was the decent thing to do.

Given the gesture was so hollow, we are not inclined to recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Anita L

Thank you for your review.
We think it is important to clarify some points in your review which are incorrect.
Your accommodation reservation was not made directly with the hotel, but with a 3rd party organisation and it was this organisation who did not indicate in the reservation that you wanted a particular room.
Bearing in mind the hotel was not a fault we would not normally be telephoning a guest to apologise.

Your initial e-mail was sent to our previous Operations Manager (who left us 16 months ago to work overseas) who as a gesture of goodwill offered you and your husband a voucher for complimentary accommodation or a dinner for two with wine in our restaurant.
Like the vast majority of organisations who give complimentary vouchers there is an expiry date (in our case it is six months) and to expect to redeem a voucher 20 months after it has been issued and over a year after it has expired is rather ambitious.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stay here often, the place has seen better days, the older lift seems to have a mind of its own but the staff are friendly, rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is good and the location is first class.

Room Tip: The rooms over the main street can be noisy if the bars there are busy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear RCGilfillan,

Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent visit. I am delighted that you found our teams friendly as always, your room comfortable and breakfast good.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Thank you again for your review.

Matthew

Been to University Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!