“Best Fish and Chips in Cambridge” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 526 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British, Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: The Sea Tree is an alternative fish bar offering traditional fish and chips alongside a menu of other fresh, healthy, sustainable and cooked to order seafood dishes, to eat in or takeaway. We buy our fish from Billingsgate Market to ensure we get the very best and freshest fish and change our menu depending on the season.
Cambridge
“Best Fish and Chips in Cambridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Fish and chips are now back on top of our take away dinner menu thanks to the Sea Tree. In the past couple of years I have only had one disappointing take away, and that was to say it was as good as any other chippie in Cambridge.

The fish is always fresh, the batter always light and crispy. Take away or eat in, very rustic style, it is a great place for more than just fish and chips. They also do an amazing fish pie or fish stew. The sea bass was delicious, pan fried with a salad.

You can even see the fresh fish at the counter before they cook it. The whole family love this place! If only they did deliveries.....

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Best place I have ever been too for food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The staff were simply amazing, however they couldn't beat the jaw dropping food! I had the grilled mackerel (which was cooked just to my specific taste) with chips and mushy peas. The waiting staff although busy attending to my table every 20 minutes to check everything was in order and if we would like additional drinks ect.. They were so polite and tentative!

Overall a big 10/10.

I'm becoming a local.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, UK
“Great Takeaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Encouraged by its reputation, we ventured further afield than our local chippie to try The Sea Tree, and it was worth the effort. In fact, I'm surprised that some people on here have had some disappointing experiences. Very good fish (we tried, cod, haddock and a salmon & crab fishcake) and excellent chips. And a word about the presentation and the service (yes, at a takeaway counter!) which was excellent ...give that girl a rise.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“One of the best places for fish in Cambridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

If you visit "The Sea Tree" for dinner, be aware that you will be sitting in the simple surroundings of a fish & chip shop and take away on the north-eastern part of Mill Road. But I suppose because this fish & chip shop is a takeaway, sells fresh fish and is a little restaurant, it's three activities combined achieve the volume guaranteeing fresh, quality fish. This also makes it unique in Cambridge.

A main course and a drink, beer or wine will cost about £10-£15. While this may seem expensive for a small fillet and crushed potatoes within a fish & chip shop, I think the quality of the fish and presentation on the plate warrant it. Also the portions on anything traditionally fried or it's superb Fish-burger are far larger.

The Sea Tree is unlike any other restaurant in Cambridge, I wasn't sure if I should score it with four or five stars. But the friendly staff, who came back every couple of minutes to ask if everything was fine and the quality of the food I received on my £12 per person bill swung it for five stars!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Worst Chip Shop Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Rude staff, disgusting, over cooked, soggy chips. Will not be back. Over priced, really not worth the money. I dont recommend this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere