“Great rooftop bar” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Cambridge
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Great rooftop bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you're looking for a great place for a drink in Cambridge with views over the town and colleges - this is it. If I was staying in Cambridge I would probably still go for Hotel du Vin which has equally good if not better service in the bar (the rooms are very pricey here and the views from those are not as good as the rooftop bar...though we only had a drink on this occasion)..
It's £10+ for a glass of prosecco but the BBQ is fairly priced.
You're paying for the five star view which is pretty unique in Cambridge and I would say it's well worth a visit for the experience on a sunny day!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

A bit of a quandary, this review. Okay, I knew the room was going to be £345, and I sort of knew that the valet parking was going to be £19. I also knew that the breakfast in the B&B rate was for continental only, and I had to pay for a cooked breakfast. But so what? I expect that a hotel charging these prices and confident enough to have these conditions would be perfect in every way!

Needless to say…

The rooftop terrace is an amazing space. The drinks are on the expensive side, but I understand that you’re paying a) hotel prices, and b) for the view. The service was pretty good as well. Malik (I think that was his name) gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble.

The room on the 3rd floor was adequate, but no fridge – you can get A+++++ rated fridges you know!

Overall this place leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, with all the extras charged for and the hyper expensive drinks. I’m no slouch when it comes to expenses, but even I had to take a long hard look at the prices on the menu (before coughing up).

It’s a shame as I would not stay here again, it’s more of a shame as there doesn't appear to be any genuine top notch accommodation in Cambridge.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

One of only 2 stylish hotels in Cambridge (the other is Hotel du Vin). Basic rooms are compact but it’s right in the historic centre. Penthouse suites are a great buy compared with London prices – epic college views and private balcony. Rooftop bar, gym, sauna, cool bar/restaurant. Great package. Super-professional staff.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Brilliant location, very attentive and happy staff and exceptional room. We arrived early and wasn't expecting our room to be ready but it was which was great as we had the chance to freshen up before heading off. We used the car valet service, the minute we got there the charming doorman was outside ready to take our bags and sorted the car for us. Amazing views from the rooftop terrace bar especially on a nice sunny day. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will definitely return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the varsity hotel & spa as a treat. We were upgraded to the penthouse suite, had a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us which was a nice touch. Great location, the room was spacious, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and made our stay special. Service was exceptional and of a very high standard! Views over Cambridge from the Rooftop terrace was fabulous....and you don't need to be a guest at the hotel to visit the roof terrace bar. Breakfast was delicious and delivered to our room on time. Really enjoyable stay, will certainly recommend this hotel and hopefully return soon. Sandy

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My sister and I plus our four boys stayed overnight at the Varsity Spa. Having read great things, we were very underwhelmed by the whole experience. The room were cramped and hot and both rooms had a terrible odour coming from the toilets. The reception was unhelpful and ill-informed in the evening, when we asked about Cambridge at night, yet were very helpful in directing us to the hotel when we could not get their due to road closures, Breakfast was poor and unbelievably, did not include hot chocolate in the B&B price, charging £3.50 a cup. The service in the restaurant was excellent and the cocktails too, but it was very over-priced. We both agreed we would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Apart from the central location, the main reason I booked the Varsity was for the huge floor to ceiling windows with views over Cambridge as shown on the website. In fact the only window in our Superior Double room was about three feet across and frosted three quarters of the way up, so there was no view at all!

The roof terrace was lovely on a sunny day (lift up there is very popular though, so space in one may take a while to arrive), but cooked breakfasts and newspapers are extra, there are no biscuits in the room to go with the tea and coffee making facilities and there is no mini-bar.
WiFi and bottled water in the room was included, but at £265 a night, I really felt it was overpriced for what it was and not at all good value for money.

I guess it’s all about managing expectations – when the price is higher, you expect a little bit more and, above all, I was looking forward to fantastic views. So this just didn’t meet my expectations. Our Room (115) didn’t look anything like the ones on the website. Although the room was comfortable and spotlessly clean, I have stayed in equally good/better hotels that cost a lot less.

When we checked out, I asked the receptionist if she could store our bags at the hotel for a few hours so that we could go for lunch before we caught our coach home. She said yes, but there would be a small charge. When I expressed surprise and asked how much, she laughed and said ha, ha – that was a joke - there wouldn’t be a charge at all! Make of that what you will.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view when you book (if that's what you want) and put it in writing.