“Avoid if possible” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Castle B&B to your Saves list
The Castle B&B
The Castle B&B
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   37, Saint Andrews street, Cambridge CB2 3AR, England   |
Ranked #101 of 116 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

While the staff here are quite nice and very helpful, the accommodation is quite intolerable. They have shared bathrooms in case you didn't notice during the booking and no parking. And parking in Cambridge quite a challenge. Don't expect to get much sleep on the hard beds and with all the noise on the street outside. We heard the lady advertising £1 yagers all night, no kidding! While its is ons the cheaper side I would not call it value for money. Only stay here if you are out of options.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We live in cambridge and our son had a French exchange student staying, so we had taken him around the sights and he had asked if he could try some " Fish and Chips " we were walking past The Castle and they had that on the menu. The waitress was really nice however the food was pretty awful : the chips were potato wedges, the mushy peas were garden peas, the rocket and Parmesan salad was some lambs lettuce with a minuscule amount of cheapy Parmesan and the chicken kebabs had two pieces of chicken on them each!! When we talked to the waitress she was very apologetic, however the manageress was appalling and just argued that there was nothing wrong with any of it and said that the issue was with us ! So we won't be going there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Several of us stayed at The Castle for a Hen Party, wasn't expecting much and just a place to rest our heads but this place is awful.
Own arrival staff in the bar underneath were very rude and not helpful at all, stored out bags in a little room next to the bar.
Returned back to the hotel at 10pm to check in to find the bar was more like a grotty nightclub. Music was pounding! Bar man collected our bags from the cupboard and took us upstairs which is literally off the dance floor, codes to get through the door which leads into a grotty corridor. Room was clean but old sash windows looking out on to the street, all you can hear is the party goers outside and the music sounded like I was in the nightclub toilets... Even though we were on a hen party this place was a dive. Laid awake until 4-30, finally fell asleep when the music stopped, fights finished and sirens were heard no more :-(
Oh and the shared bathroom.... None of us showered!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother booking
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came for a one off dinner out and thank god for that, could not have speant a night there!. On ariving and sitting down, I looked at the menu in disapointment, there was hardly anything to chose from. The waitor came and asked if we wanted drinks. There was no drink menu so had no idea what they had or the prices, so I just orderd a lemonade with no ice. he came back with a flat lemonade with tons of ice. we were on a groupon so we could chose from either 1 starter and 1 main or 1 dessert and 1 main, well, I say chose, out of the 6 starter avalible the only had 2 left and out of the 5 desserts, they had 1 (ice cream) I went for the main and dessert. The menu had fish and chips, so I chose them, 10 minetes later I was told they had no fish so I chose the spaghetti carbonara and my partner had a burger. when we finaly got them the burger was underdone and really rare and bloody, while mine was over done and like mush. HORRIBLE PLACE. the only thing I could say good about it was the nice waitor, if it was not for him, we would have requested all of our money spent on drinks and sides back also the money on our groupon, instead of %50 of extras.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

In brief: 45 minute wait for soup and sandwich. Only one round if drinks offered, given soda water instead of lemonade, twice. Food cold and tasteless.

The setting... 2 members of staff front of house, 2 staff in the kitchen. 2 couples already eating and one family of 4 finished there meal.

We arrived for lunch during our break meeting our family and children (5 adults 2 children) and informed the staff that we only had an hour. They showed us to a table and said they would take our order straight away. The member of staff disappeared and did not return for 15 minutes. We found the high chairs ourselves and cleared the remains of the previous diners lunch to the bar.

We ordered a round of drinks with our food order (2 lemonades and 3 cokes) which eventually arrived after 10 minutes, however the lemonade had miraculously turned into soda water. On returning the drinks to the bar the waiter informed me that there was no lemonade..WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME THAT WHEN I ORDERED! He dispensed me 2 value lemonades from a 2 litre bottle for which we were charged £2 each!

After 30 minutes we asked the staff how long our food would be.
(Sausage sandwich, soup of the day, pasta of the day, grilled houloumi and BLT) we were informed 5 minutes!

20 minutes later and no food or second drinks order we asked again how long the food would be, we were informed that they were very busy and its on its way. I looked around the small venue and informed the waiter that we were the only ones here!!!!

After another 10 minutes our food started to come out a dish at a time in 4 minute intervals, 2 meals were finished before the last was brought out.

The food was cold, tasteless and lacked the basics, I had to find my own condiments!

After the meal was finished we informed the waitress about the poor food and service, she shrugged and said it was busy and there was nothing she could do. We were still the only ones in the venue, she was rude happy to take the money for our overpriced and substandard meal and send us on our way.

I would never grace the venue, which is in series need of cleaning and refurbishment, with my business again and I would advise anyone to give it a wide berth.

DISGUSTED!

• Stayed August 2013
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked the Castle as it was in cetral Cambridge and I wanted to walk around the town centre for the weekend. I arrived to check in and I was told that they'd over-booked and that they had booked me into another hotel. I was in a bit of hurry to get to a wedding, but they took an hour to finally tell me where they had booked me into. During this time I asked to see the manager and I was told that she was on the phone. In other words she was hiding from an angry customer rather than doing her job and fronting up to the terrible business they're running. The rest of the staff were rude and useless.

Worst of all, the hotel they booked me into was a Travelodge on the ring road around Cambridge. This meant a lot of time in taxis over the weekend getting to/from that hotel and spending £40 on those taxis. And the breakfast which was included with the Castle was a £7 supplement. Judging by the other reviews of the Castle though (which I wish I had read in advance) it was good that I didn't stay there anyway.

I don't have a good thing to say about this place. To treat tourists like this is a complete disgrace and I have emailed lastminute to say that they should stop taking bookings for this business. Don't say you werent' warned!

Room Tip: Don't book here in the first place. There are other places in Cambridge which don't treat pe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked this as a good value stay via last minute.com to go to a show in Cambridge and do a little shopping and have a relaxing weekend. On arrival we were told that the hotel had overbooked and had booked us into a Travelodge the other side of town. The woman we spoke to offered us a taxi but we elected to walk so we could get our bearings. When we arrived at the Travelodge they said they were no longer accepting any bookings from The Castle because they had not paid their bill and they were always telling customers to stay at the Travelodge. Travelodge said we could book with them if we paid the full rack rate. We did not want to do this so went (a long walk) back to The Castle. They made a variety of unconvincing excuses before offering us a refund for our room. We gratefully took this but had nowhere to stay in Cambridge and so had to make arrangements (and pay extra) to get the train home. An absolute farce.To summarise,THE CASTLE ruined what should have been a lovely weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Castle B&B? Share your experiences!