“we only ate- thank goodness” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Castle B&B

The Castle B&B
You added The Castle B&B to your Saves list
The Castle B&B
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   37, Saint Andrews street, Cambridge CB2 3AR, England   |
Ranked #103 of 118 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“we only ate- thank goodness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We ate here today NEVER AGAIN. got this through a groupon voucher. Living near Cambridge has passed this many times- always looks good inside. Voucher for lunch- told thirty minutes wait. (not a problem did look over half full). After 45 mins asked how much longer- we are nearly ready. Goodness know what they were doing in the kitchen as no food was coming out for any one. We had not been given a menu yet. Food eventually arrived ONE HOUR after arriving. Waiter was really nice and polite. Door would not stay shut. Food was really good- but not worth the wait. I would not stay there at all!!!! GO to the weatherspoons next door- we would have done if not paid for the groupon voucher.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My partner and I stopped for a quick sandwich en route from station into town. Busy and food looked great. There was one waitress serving to begin with and she was great, despite having been left alone. Waited one hour for two sandwiches. Walked out. The second waitress was absolutely awful. Unprofessional, rude and slow. If the kitchen is having problems, fine. Tell us. After being asked how long food would be, no response, no apology. Two tables walked out before us and another table complained loudly about order having been wrong. Truly hideous.

Stayed May 2013
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was treated to a weekend in Cambridge and we stayed at The Castle. We waited while the barstaff sorted out our key and asked for payment. This was done before we saw the room and I understand why. The room was on the top floor and we had to navigate our way through a maze of doors which all looked as grubby as each other. We passed the washroom (ugh) on our way up and decided we wouldn't be availing ourselves of that particular facility. In fact we only used the toilet because we had to (but we didn't use the grubby handtowel). Even the button on top of the toilet was missing. The room itself was underwhelming - small and dingy. It was so bad we could only laugh as neither of us had been in such an old fashioned outdated set up since we were children in the 1950s. After we had a good laugh we went out for a brilliant night in Cambridge and then returned to see hoards of partygoers outside our B and B. OMG could this place get any worse - OH YES it could. We were asked to pay to get in until we explained we were staying there (I'm sure the bouncer smirked) and then the music went on until 3am after which there was lots of noise and a fight outside. We couldn't even put the TV on to block it out as it didn't work. I think I got to sleep at about 5am. On our way out we walked into someone's room as we got lost in the maze of doors. Now for the positives - I didn't pay as it was my friends "treat". Thanks mate!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else - even in a bus station as you'll get more sleep.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Treated my best friend to a weekend in Cambridge and stayed at The Castle. What a mistake. Could only get into the room after 4pm, was taken through a warren of corridors and stairs to our room which was on the top floor only to find that we had no bathroom. We took one look at the washroom nearest to us and decided that there was no way we were going to use the shower - it was grubby and the hand towel available looked like it needed a good wash - we dried our hand on toilet paper! There was no toilet brust and the whole place looked like it needed a through clean. Our room wasn't much better. Uncomfortable beds, television that did not work, small dingy room desperately in need of TLC. Returning later that evening the bar downstairs was heaving and noisy and this went on until 3pm, although it was still noisy from people hanging around until after 4pm - hence we did not get a lot of sleep. The only thing that was half decent was the breakfast! Please do not stay here. Its the worst hotel I have stayed in and was not cheap either!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The only positive thing I can say about The Castle B&B is that it's in beautiful Cambridge. Apart from that I would definitely not recommend it. Only one member of staff showed a glimmer of politeness during my 2 night stay, others were downright unfriendly. The rooms were located above a pub, there was no lift and with large bags, the stairs to the top floor were difficult to navigate. The rooms were small and pokey, no working TV & the shared bathroom facilities were down 2 flights of stairs. We waited over half an hour for breakfast the 2nd morning despite ordering before outside customers who got theirs first. I will never return and I will never recommend it to anyone. Oh and by the way, don't order chardonnay or merlot (of all things!) from the evening bar staff, they will have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And make sure you have the right money, they don't seem to count so well. I ended up leaving a tip much more than the young "barman" deserved just so I didn't have to deal with his incompetence any longer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Defenitely the worse place I have been in a long time. It is not a proper B&B. There is no reception and you have to pay at a bar before getting the keys. The receit is for a meal rather than a room.
You have to find your way to a complicate route mainly composed by sets of stairs. There is no bathoom in the rooms and again lots of stairs to get to one of the shared bathrooms.
The main problem is that it is impossible to sleep until 3am. The real nature of this place is being a night club playing loud music, they just want to make more money buy advertising as B&B the rooms on top.

I wish I read these reviews before booking. I will always check tripadvisor from now on.

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cumbria, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Small twin room with not even a washbasin, up several flights of dingy stairs above a bar. Bathroom with toilet down 1 floor from my room, shower with toilet down 2 floors. Lack of en-suite not mentioned when booking. I stayed midweek and guess that on Fridays & weekends it would be very noisy, as the bar has pretensions to being a club.No parking on site or nearby, and long stay parking in Cambridge is very expensive. Location is good, convenient for university, museums etc. Breakfast was good, both English and continental, but the sausage was certainly not Cumberland as stated on the menu (I know, I live in Cumbria!). Not good value at £156 for 2 nights B&B.

Room Tip: If you must stay here at the weekend a room on the top floor may keep the noise level down, but you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Castle B&B? Share your experiences!