“Traditional pub with a good menu” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 170 Restaurants in High Wycombe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, English, Bistro, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: With the relaxed ambiance of an English country pub, an elegant menu made from local produce and plenty of room to breathe (and park) the Grouse & Ale is the perfect venue for a social occasion or an informal meeting/function that needs more than just biscuits and coffee.The entire bar and restaurant is WIFI and there are plenty of niches to relax in with open fires to banish any winter chills, come the summer, take your drinks outside into our secluded courtyard.We hope that you will feel able to relax in comfortable surroundings, secure in the knowledge that the service, drinks and food will be perfect – whatever the occasion; Sunday lunch, a romantic dinner or a business session.Gastro Pub of the Year - 2010Quite simply, we’re very proud of our food. Our approach to designing the menu, reflects our ethos – do the simplest things brilliantly well. Our daily specials reflect a table d’hôte offering to supplement the a la carte menu along with an extensive, informal menu at the bar. Wherever possible, our menus are created from locally sourced produce and meats.
“Traditional pub with a good menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This is my kind of pub, cosy & traditional without being old fashioned. Menu selection is good, we enjoyed our food & will certainly go again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Very good even on a slightly off day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We arrived for a meal for 6 on the evening before the recent storm. Warmly welcomed at the bar, we were served promptly with drinks and, overall, had a most enjoyable evening - well fed and oiled, and in a good atmosphere (busy but not noisy) in comfortable olde worlde surroundings.
This pub clearly fulfils how it describes itself on TripAdvisor. I marked it down a notch mainly due to unavailability of beers and one main course, although accept this was probably unusual and the staff handled it politely; some of the prices are also rather dear e.g. desserts.
Travel tip (coming from M40 south): AA routefinder directions, through High Wycombe, make for a shorter journey than the pub's website, which takes you via Marlow.
We tried a good variety of food and all found it tasty, ample and pleasantly presented. To be honest, I found my multi-ingredient boxty potato cake etc a little bland and also failed to spot (or even remember that I should!) the crispy bacon element of the mash that accompanied my pork tenderloin, which itself was a really succulent and generous piece of meat, though I would have preferred more veg (though note only red cabbage is stated on menu). Actually, I only chose it as they had no more chicken saltimbocca (even though we arrived at 7.30). Desserts were tasty, if probably unnecessary - my crumble was a very good-sized portion.
Between us, we tried at least 3 of the ales on offer as either barrel or entire stock ran out of 2 of them - but, most important, as others have said, they are well chosen and kept ... so highly drinkable.
Overall, we all agreed that we would happily return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Thame
“A Wonder on a Plate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I visited this pub with my 2 children today, having visited with the rest of the family previously for Sunday lunch, and were once again blown away with our food. We arrived just as it was opening, and were greeted with friendly, attentive staff. My son had the fish and chips, which was one of the best he'd ever had, and my daughter had the child's fish fingers which were also delicious. I had the sea bass fillet, which was on the specials menu, and my word it was special! My greedy children finished with a bowl of custard, specially made for my daughter, and a warm, moist, flavourful sticky toffee pudding. We will definitely be returning soon, and would recommend it to any food-lover!!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surroundings, good food and top notch ales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

As I was attending a 2-day course at the close by Lane End Centre, I decided to give this pub a try the second night of my stay. The pub is quite rustic with lots of beams and nooks and crannies so I took a place at the bar and was served within a minute or so. The range of ales was very good, four cask-conditioned beers including Adnams, Samuel Smiths and Deuchars, all well kept and served at the correct temperature.

After a couple of pints, I needed some dinner so took a seat at a table to the rear of the main bar area. The waitress came over within a couple of minutes and took my order for gammon ham, eggs and chips. The gammon was very good, the two eggs cooked just right and the chips were soft and fluffy.

I washed it down with another beer before returning to the bar where I soon struck up a conversation with a friendly "local". The bill came to around £20 which was good value and included the beers. My only slight complaint was having to deposit my credit card behind the bar area after telling the bar staff that I wished to run a tab and pay at the end. It's unrealistic in this day and age to expect customers to have to do this, what with the surge in card fraud. They may well trust their staff but I don't know them and felt rather uncomfortable about doing it. Why not simply swipe the card for its details and then return it to the customer?

This was my only criticism though as I really enjoyed my couple of hours in there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Party of four booked, the restaurant wasn't that busy, but service was very poor, the food was good, but our waitress was unfriendly not very helpfully, we were asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu which we did but the menu's never arrived, so got our own, had to wait ages to get the bill and even longer to pay, very disappointing!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere