“Good ale, good food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bell

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in High Wycombe
The Bell
You added The Bell to your Saves list
41 Frogmoor, High Wycombe HP13 5DQ, England   |
Ranked #10 of 20 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
Caldicot, United Kingdom
“Good ale, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Was staying at the nearby premier inn where the restaurant was closed so thought i'd give this a try. A lovely pub that stands up to its cask marque, with a friendly atmosphere and very good thai food. Definitely worth a visit for any weary traveller.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
High Wycombe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm not a fan of Fuller's beer (personal taste), but I'm happy to settle for a Guinness and I find this pub more to my liking than anywhere else in town. The current management have made a noticeable difference to the cleanliness and presentation of the place*, and the food is very good too - be warned, some dishes may look like small portions but they are very, very filling. The staff are friendly without being intrusive (there's nothing I hate more whilst eating than being hovered over and being asked if everything is alright every five minutes!). Once is okay, and that is exactly what happens here, so 10/10 for that. Also, if you have small children, particularly babies, the staff will fuss over them as if they were their own!

*One exception - those giant space-wasting ugly backrest stools at the bar need to go!

Good pub & restaurant and deserves to be better supported. It costs a few bob more than a lot of nearby places, but I know where I would rather spend my money.

Room Tip: Only visited for food and drink, have not stayed overnight so can not comment on that aspect.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Went to The Bell on Sunday night with my husband and 3 children (8, 6 and 5). Being a local I was a little apprehensive as many moons ago this was a late night drinking place. However, as my children wanted to try some traditional Thai food and I love Thai we went. Parked alongside the pub. It was rather quiet inside - a couple of locals having a quiet drink at the bar and another couple eating. We were seated at one of the Thai carved tables and and promptly served drinks and given menus. The choice is good and the staff were keen to offer helpful advice. We all thoroughly enjoyed our food (my king prawns were cooked perfectly!), washed down with a Singha and a Chang (juice for the kids). A really great place for a Sunday night meal - will definitely be back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I can't recommend this pub enough - the welcome is warm, the beer is cold and the food is absolutely delicious! I live not far from the town centre and this is a gem amongst the standard chain pubs you get in every town centre. The landlady, Sapia, has put her heart and soul into making a success of the business these last 6 or so months and I think she's done a fantastic job. We are welcomed like members of the family and the staff always come over for a chat, often bringing with them a little treat from the kitchen! The food is amongst the best Thai I have tasted both in and out of Thailand - we often call in for a drink but the alluring smells from the kitchen mean we end up ordering take away. If you are looking for a cosy, traditional pub with a Thai twist, this is the place for you.

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Me, my girlfriend and some friends found this little pub by chance. Unless you know it's there it is quite hard to find!
Tucked away in Frogmore this old pub has been here far longer than it's neighboring bars Yates's and Butlers and it's location certainly didn't detract from our experience. The clientele were friendly and the standards of this Thai restaurant/Pub are high.

The staff were helpful and polite and the food was excellent. We ordered from a well put together menu, from traditional curry's to sizzling dishes our group thoroughly enjoyed it. You could tell the food had been prepared using fresh ingredients.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

It was a shame that after such a nice welcome the stay turned out to be very uncomfortable. This is a hotel that has rooms above a pub. The room was freezing and I think the radiator needed attention as I froze all night and had no one to speak too (after the pub shut) to get another heater or additional blanket. Not a proper duvet on the bed just a sheet and thin quilt. Neither could I take a hot shower to warm up as they had not left any towels either. Very poor experience as it was absolutely freezing with condensation literally running down the windows inside. I would not return and have cancelled a two-night stay in December ... will stay elsewhere where I can be assured of a warm room. Not too much to ask is it?

Room Tip: If you are a woman please note that the entrance to the hotel after the pub has closed is round the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Haven't been here for years, but popped in for a pint yesterday and it was the worst experience of London Pride that I have ever had. Truly rank. I can only hope that they are concentrating on the food and completely ignoring keeping a decent beer. Revolting.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Bell? Share your experiences!