“Rude Staff and Management!! Appalling treatment towards customers!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bocabar

Bocabar
Bath Road, Bristol BS4 3EH, England
+44 117 972 8838
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #532 of 1,530 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Pizza, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Rude Staff and Management!! Appalling treatment towards customers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I have been to the Bocabar twice in Bristol and both times left without anything. We attend the Paintworks for events from South Wales
The first time we arrived at 11.15am and went to the bar to order Breakfast. We were ignored, and others served around us. Then when we got served it was too late for breakfast (11.32am) even though they had just allowed someone to push in front of us and order breakfast. After explaining how long we had been stood there we were still told no so we left.
The second time was Saturday 25th January, we were going to the Paintworks for a Vintage event and arrived at 9.30am. We decided to give the place a second try, but alas it was worse than the first encounter. We walked in to see 3 sets of people drinking tea/coffee so we approached the bar where there was only us two and another gentleman and attempted to order to 2 coffees. We were then told by a very rude lady with black hair and glasses, that they had 'taken pity' on a few people and served them coffee but had to drawn the line somewhere so no we couldn't have coffee. She then walked off and served the other gentleman at the bar with coffees!!
I am disgusted with the way we have treated by the Bocabar. I own my own business and I wouldn't dare to treat my customers the way that we have been treated.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bocabar G, Owner at Bocabar, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We're sorry you've had such a bad experience. On your first visit, you should have been allowed to order your breakfast even though it was 11.32am. We have reminded our bar and kitchen staff that anyone who gets to the bar by 11.30am, even if served 5 minutes later, should be able to make a breakfast order. We are pretty strict with this cut-off time, otherwise the kitchen is not ready to serve lunches at 12 noon, but there should be a degree of flexibility. On the second occasion, as explained by the manager, we don't actually open until 10am. Two elderly people were outside the bar in the rain, so the manager let them in, and gave them coffees. Two other people then followed, so the manager served them, although really she shouldn't have, simply because the two staff in the bar and restaurant need the time to set-up. We're sorry that you felt unfairly and rudely treated.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric and relaxed place to get good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this place on many occasions and have always enjoyed the experience overall. It is an excellent place for families to come or to meet friends. Many tables have sofas and comfy chairs and children are made welcome with high chairs and robust furniture and nobody fusses overly about children being moderately noisy and they are permitted to stay up to 9 pm. Therefore this place attracts young families and grandparents as it was with us today. We missed the 3 pm deadline for the main Sunday lunch experience because we were out walking as so had to choose from the residual menu. In the end we did sort ourselves out with something we liked but it did take some ingenuity. The main item on the menu was pizza and there is a wide choice but the children's ones were a bit bland. In the end we chose a simple Marguerita and added toppings they would like which worked well. For my partner and myself I asked if I could have a selection of salads and mezzes together from the cold cabinet but was told that was not possible. I could only have what was on the menu because of the difficulty of pricing. This meant my partner and I had to buy things we didn't really want exactly to get something tolerable. I would have thought it could have been simplified from the rigid approach currently used. I think I should be able to go to the cabinet and say ' I want some of that, one of those and some of that with leaves' and been priced accordingly. At the time it made me rather stressed that getting at the food was made so difficult as I tried 2 members of staff in case the first one wasn't clued in properly, but they held fast to their position. However, when it came it was very tasty and we passed on the bits we didn't want to the others, so overall the meal went well. The staff it must be said are pleasant and friendly. The loos clean with really hot water, good hand soap and proper paper towels for drying. The place is large with a quieter area at the far end and parking has never been a problem. So apart from the irritating pricing system I rate this place highly.

Visited January 2014
wales
“Do not waste your time - if only I could give 0 stars”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Myself and a group of friends meet for dinner last night. Waited what felt like a lifetime for the pizza, which in fairness was nice. What happened next was far from nice and to be honest never before have I experienced such awful customer service from what I would call rude and inexperienced staff namely a male duty manager and side kick front of house, which is in simple terms – waiter.

Glass was found in my friends drink which she pulled from her mouth and when the glass (bulky round bit not a blade !) was placed in the managers hand, he accused me of stabbing him, over dramatic and really uncalled for. Tried to turn the whole thing back on me. I wasn't long telling him to cop himself on and not try and divert away from the issue here - serving glass in a drink.

The way that both the manager and waiter handled the whole situation was appalling, here are a few other scenarios from the experience - there are more but they only gets more ridiculous:

- because they gave us a discount on the bill the PIZZA chef would not get paid - when questioned about this there was no substance or fact behind the statement
- next was after the glass being placed in the managers hand the waiter advised the GP was in the kitchen with the manager. Asked then could my friend who had the glass in her mouth from the drink see the GP also, the waiter then backtracked and said he didn’t mean it was a GP/doctor and that we were being ridiculous to say that a GP would of been needed…..(HIS WORDS NOT OURS)...then went on to explain what he meant by GP which was complete nonsense......caught out and tried to backtrack
- Reluctance to advise who the owner was so I could bring this further
- When they came over with the final bill, it was shoved on the table without a word or explanation to what had been done, very unprofessional;

Also when I do get serviced food a small expectation is that the waiter doesn't smell of BO - very off putting indeed.

I did phone after to speak to the owner, who called me back. They dealt with the complaint in a professional manner and showed great concern for the customer - fair play. However damage done and I will not be back.

Visited December 2013
Bocabar G, Owner at Bocabar, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
This is a difficult review to respond to because there are two sides to what happened. The customer has given one account. The other account is from the members of staff involved. When informed that there was a shard of glass in the glass, our experienced manager (with Bocabar for 8 years) went to find out what happened.The reviewer said that her friend had nearly swallowed a piece of glass, and then poked the piece of glass into his hand, drawing blood. This clearly surprised the manager and he questioned why she had done that. He then went away to investigate how a shard of glass got into the glass and to check our ice-dump. Another member of staff was at the table, and the reviewer asked what compensation they would be getting. The manager decided to take all the drinks off the menu, but the reviewer felt that this was not adequate. There was a discussion between the waiter and the reviewer about why we didn't think the pizzas should be taken off the bill. During this discussion, GP was mentioned, but the waiter was referring to Gross Profit on pizzas, not about a doctor being in the kitchen! The group left disgruntled. As owners, we believe that our manager acted professionally in trying to find out what had happened and to resolve the situation. We don't think our staff should have to put up with customers who shout at them, who stick glass into their hand, or who try to barter over compensation. This is unacceptable behaviour.
bristol
“love love love this plave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Have to say love the ambiance of the place. Good for a few first dates, catching up with friends or taking visitors to the area. Pizzas are amazing and can be highly recommended. Sunday lunch - had the salt marsh beef once, really nice! Chips are a bit limp but hey, there's a menu so pick and choice. The guys and girls behind the bar are always chirpy and cheery. Taken my mum plus two aunts one evening only they found it too loud, so they opened the restaurant area for us. Plus side, its great, neg side, its a bit yummy mummy(daddy) and the kids are all called indigo on a Saturday plus the music can be a bit loud later on. But pick your times and you'll enjoy. (one thing about parking, make sure you park in visitors space otherwise you get a nasty sticker that's a swine to remove. People live in the Paintworks and have private parking)

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had one of the organic burgers with cheddar back in the summer and honestly, it was actually incredible. So amazing. Bring them back!

• Visited August 2013