“Lovely Setting, lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #380 of 1,530 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Famous for Thalis but you'll find classic Indian snacks, coffee and cakes on the menu too. Quirky decor, great atmosphere, free Wifi, kids welcome. Award-winning Tiffin Takeaway scheme. Equally suited for groups, families or for a romantic dinner. Contact us about hiring the whole back room for your party or celebration.This is the original Thali Cafe, located in the hub of Montpelier, it is one of four Thali Cafes in Bristol. We avoid mainstream locations in favour of areas with a strong sense of community where we can foster relationships with local people and businesses.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely Setting, lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Came here for a birthday party in the evening for the first time. I am a big fan of Thali food, and I was not disappointed by what I was dished up. I had the dairy free Thali which was beautiful and around the table we had a mix of all the other (meat, fish etc) Thali options, which came with a lot of the same accompaniments as mine. How anyone can make cauliflower taste that good is beyond me!

The restaurant has a nice, intimate feel and is decorated well. The only downside was that the food came too quickly for the amount of members in our party, and was not as hot (temperature wise) as i would have liked it. I suspect that most of the dishes must sit in pots to be dished up as and when, which may make them cool down a bit.

This was only a minor side point, however. As for £7.95 for a lovely, filling dinner which I could not have made easily at home myself, I can't really complain. I will definitely be trying out the other Thail cafes.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ThaliC, Public Relations Manager at Thali Cafe Montpelier, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We're so glad your party enjoyed themselves! Thank you for your feedback regarding the food and service - we will use it to help us improve things next time. Have fun trying out the other Thali Cafes! Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team.

“The original!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

the original thali cafe :-) very cool and quirky interior in the coolest part of Bristol (my neighbourhood, but I'm not biased - I live here for a reason!). The food is great and the staff is very friendly. We often come in for takeaway too (great deal if you have a tiffin!).

Visited April 2013
Thanks for your lovely review! It's brilliant to get feedback from loyal customers. Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team
“A Great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been here a few times now and I've enjoyed each visit. The food is different to a classic Indian meal and is very nice. The portion size is very good. It can be a little cramped inside but it all adds to the atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for your review! Sorry if it's a little cramped at busy times! Have you checked our the new back room in the Montpelier Thali? We added it last year, it adds space to spread out a bit, and with the wood burner on it's lovely and cosy. Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best Indian food in Bristol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I love this place. I have bought their tiffin, which means that I can order a takeaway for two with lots of extras, and carry it home and still be piping hot. I always pick to go there for special occasions, as everyone seems to love the food and the experience. Serving thali-style food is an excellent idea, as whichever option I choose, I get a range of tasty dishes.

The khulfi and chai teas are delicious - don't just stick to the mains.

I can even pay by text, as I have a Bristol Pound account - this has saved me once when I didn't have quite enough cash!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review. Make sure you pick up a Thali Loyalty Card next time you come in - as a frequent visitor you can start collecting stamps and then enjoying free meals and Tiffins! Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very original and refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant for a friends birthday last Wednesday. It is bigger inside than it looks in the pics, there is a back room which is good because I can imagine this place gets busy. the decor is amazing, I don't really know what bohemian means, but I would describe this place as that haha. The food all come on one big plate thing, which was great, for one price you get all the food included, instead of spending loads on extras. The food was very fresh and traditional. I will definately go back and I will definately recommend. Oh and the staff were really friendly and helpful and dealt with a large group of us perfectly :-)

ThaliC, Guest Relations Manager at Thali Cafe Montpelier, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thanks for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your first visit! The big steel plates that we serve the food on are called Thalis and that's where the name of the meal comes from. The idea is that you get a balanced, healthy and nutritious meal made up of individual dishes. You can actually buy the plates from us in the restaurants if you fancy cooking yourself up a Thali at home or serving up your Tiffin Takeaway in style! Kind regards, The Thali Cafe Team.