“amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
bristol
“amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

amazing! will be back again with friends, great service by the chefs, informative, great place, would highly recommend to anyone that has ever made a review on trip adviser

Visited October 2012

“Magical!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was a birthday treat for my husband, and magical in every way. Casamia had a birthday card waiting for him, and service throughout the evening was attentive. We had the tasting menu with a wine flight, explained by the cheerful sommelier as he poured each glass. Cleverly, the first course came with a basket of light and delicious bread, which quashed our hunger pangs. Each little dish that arrived was a beautiful combination of flavours, often presented theatrically. In particular, there was a stunning dessert involving clove-scented mist rolling across the table. Unmissable. Save up for a meal here; it's streets ahead of any other restaurant in Bristol, and a great night out.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Bit pretentious but great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

A real culinary experience, bit expensive for a one star Michellin, and a feeling that the chefs are taking themselves a little too seriously. However, the food in innovative and sometimes exciting.

Visited July 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Superb Food and Service, Highly Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were met with smiles into a small, friendly and relaxed dining room. Service was attentive without being intrusive throughout. The 12 course tasting menu was excellently cooked throughout; inventive, skilful and perfectly controlled in terms of portion size. Prior to visiting I looked at some of the 1 star reviews on trip advisor as I always do, and I must say that what I have read seems very hard to believe. If you visit a restaurant of this type then you should have the culinary awareness to know that they will push taste boundaries. I cannot comment on other peoples experience of poor service, suffice to say that it seems highly unlilkely that standards would vary so much from those we experienced. Courses were well spaced allowing you to spend a whole evening of dining without feeling rushed and the whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable. I cannot recommend Casamia enough, yes it's expensive but worth every penny for a treat and for those who really enjoy their food.

To balance this review I must also include the small criticisms I have, although these are not major I feel they are worth mentioning when reviewing this standard of restaurant and are the reasons that I did not rate Casamia with 5 stars. Of the 12 courses 2 did not work; namley: The Colston Basset, Pear Jelly and Celery was in my view an awkward collision of flavours. The Sous Vide Chicken was rubbery, (I don't believe this is the ideal technique for cooking chicken breast,) although the composition and flavour of the dish was excellent. My other gripe is that towards the end of the meal the service tailed off in that we were left without water for the last two courses and were not offered more wine for the last 15 - 20 minutes, (that said two of the four of us had managed two bottles already!)

All in all a fantastic evening out and I am sure that Casamia is pushing for a second star judging by the inventive and exciting food they are producing. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Impeccable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am very very surprised by some of the previous negative reviews. Being the mother of a young baby it's taken a while for me to write this (we visited in October) but our experience was overtly positive. I had the 3 course meal while the other adults in the party had the tasting menu. The pollock with porcini I had was delicate and well balanced while the others raved about the beetroot risotto and venison pappardelle. The portions are not huge but with the anticipation of several courses my opinion was that the sizes were just right. I felt the restaurant service was friendly but professional, my personal preference is towards non-starchy and relaxed but I guess others may want a tighter vigil ie wine topped up constantly etc.

More impressively, half our party were children between 10 months and 6 years and every effort was made to accommodate them including the purchase of a high chair the day before our visit! The chefs also spent time teaching the 2 inquisitive little girls in the development kitchen how dishes were finished off which they loved.

I would definitely visit again when I'm back in the area.

• Visited October 2012