“All round first class hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Redcliffe Hill, Bristol BS1 6SQ, England (Formerly Mercure Holland House Bristol)   |
Ranked #24 of 86 hotels in Bristol
swansea wales uk
“All round first class hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at the Mercure Holland House Bristol as a one night chill out for myself and my wife. On arrival we were greeted at reception by smiling staff who booked us in quickly and efficiently. We would like to mention Zowie on reception who was fantastic and is a credit to the hotel. Thankyou for everything Zowie.

We then decided to relax for half hour in the hotel bar area. I went to help myself to a menu at the bar and returned to my seat to show my wife what food was on offer. No sooner than I had sat down, a Manager I presume, came over and informed me and my wife that the staff should bring the menu to us and he told us that he wanted us to be totally relaxed and have a lovely stay. He was adamant that guests are well looked after. This was very refreshing and showed a true professional in customer care, which in some places is becoming a rarity. Well done Mr Manager.

We went to our room (which was a suite, room 251) and all we can say is 'WOW!" As you entered the suite there was a leather corner suite, with occasional table with a flat screen television. Next in the second area was a Queen size bed with another flat screen television and dark wood furniture. The bathroom had a free standing bath which gleamed as you went in, (hoorah for first class cleaning staff) also a large shower.

We totally enjoyed everything about our stay and would definately recommend to stay here. Not forgetting breakfast, well lets just say that we left content and very full!!!!

Well done to all staff, keep up the good work. We hope to be back in the near future.

Paul and Julia Crook, Swansea. September 26 th,2009

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

1,232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Isle of Man
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Not my first choice of hotel but employer booked so stuck with it, albeit at a good rate.

Not at all central to anything - about 10 min walk to town or the rail station, 5 min to start of harbourside. Not a pleasant area late at night - the groups of down and outs, drunk and drugged create an interesting obstacle, and that's going out in the evening.

The hotel itself has been well refurbished, bars and rooms are smart. Windows don't open so aircon essential and works well, though you need a keycard in a slot to use.

Room service was OK at best, a ham sandwich was three slices of bread, one stale, and two thin slices of processed ham, cheese and crackers good selection but served with honey and jelly instead of the usual butter, celery etc. Wine fowl - if the £6+ price does not choke, the taste will - very cheap.

Looking at the other reviews I think breakfast must have been different - this was in main restaurant on a mass catering style - self service even to the point of having to get your own tea or coffee from flasks. Hot food was in large open boilers, as a result fairly cold and overdone. Ended up with a sausage and scambled eggs as the only edible part. Toast is served by staff, had to wait 10 mins for that. I very much got the impression that they catered for huge numbers - though there were only about 20 people there eating.

On checking out I was charged for car park from another room (after arranging for a taxi), though £20 seems very steep when not a central spot.

On the whole, the rooms are great, but everything else in very much in the lower 3* trying hard but not getting there bracket.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We were originally booked into the new Radisson Blu hotel but due to a delay in their opening they booked us into the Mercure Holland.

First impressions when you walk into the lobby is thats its a pretty smart hotel. Check in was quick and the room was spacious with large lcd tv. Building was originally a office block but converted into hotel a couple of years ago. Windows were pretty well sound proofed so you heard very little street noise.

Bar food was fine, but service was a little slow, even though it was relatively quiet.

We were on a room only basis. Breakfast in the hotel is £15 each but you can get a breakfast in the bar next door to the hotel for only £3.50.

Hotel has parking to rear of the hotel at £10 per night.

Hotel is only a few minutes walk from harbour, city centre and the bristol old vic.

Did not get a chance to check out leisure centre.

Overall nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed here over the bank holiday weekend for three nights. We booked a exectutive room with king size bed.

The greeting from the receptionist was good and we were allocated our room very quickly.

The room was spacious. On arrival we had feather pillows on the bed and in the storage compartments. I am allergic to feathers so called reception to ask for synthetic pillows. About an hour later the receptionist came and told me they had a shortage of synthetic pillows and could only give us one for the night between us. So we had one pillow between us. Not good enough for a 4 star hotel.

That night I decided to have a shower, the shower was broken and needed to be held mid shower. The following morning I contacted reception and they said someone would be up to fix it straight away. An hour later nothing and had to chase it. It was eventually fixed.

We went out that day and came back to find that the maids had made up the rooms and put feather pillows on the bed. Had to call reception again and eventually two synthetic pillows arrived.

The room was clean apart from black marks on the duvet cover.

The TV reception and the shower power was poor.

The breakfast was fantastic and lots of choice.

The hotel was quiet apart from doors slamming from other guests.

Car parking was a bit difficult sometimes, very busy but we always managed to get space.

Good location, easy access to shops, restaurants, sights and bars.

Didn't visit the spa so can't comment on that.

We would not visit this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We arrived on 29/8/09 at 11:15am and were able to check in right away which was a bonus. Reception staff were superb, helping out with directions to various attractions.

Hotel is worthy of its 4 stars, rooms quite spacious, clean though a bit stuffy due to the fact you cannot open any of the windows. They do have air condition though which is useful. Parking will cost you £10 for 24 hrs.

We used the gym and the pool which was nice, too many kids playing havoc though so only stayed in there for half an hour.

The hotel also has a nice bar where they have a large projector screen for sporting events. Breakfast was sheer quality with so much to choose from.

All in all a very nice hotel and would def stay again for the right price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel, given how little (£70 for the night, booked through laterooms.com) we paid for our room. Room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Good location for sightseeing-- we went to Bristol specifically to see the Banksy exhibit-- and we walked nearly everywhere from here. We would stay here again and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed here for one night after a return flight from a 7 day break in morocco stopping off in Seville to braek up the journey.

I hoped on the airport express(£6.00) bus in to the city and it dropped me off out side the door which was helpful, the lady at reception was really good at explaining the hotel facilities and how to access the pool which is open 24 hours a day by using your room key card that needs activated so best to mention it at check in.

The room I was allocated was on the 2nd floor with views to the front of the hotel and a good size, the room had a bath and separate show room with powerful water presser and the shampoo was handy in rejuvenating my hair after a dip in the pool. I ordered a meal from room service that cam with in 20 min and there’s tea and coffee tray and if you prefer fresh mike you can get at reception.

The bed was comfortable and I had a good night sleep and was not disturbed by staff wanting to chase me out in the morning so they could clean the room which makes a change. Check out was a dream and they held on to my case until the evening, when I was catching the train in to London, the station is a bit of a walk but is doable with a small amount of luggage. If I ever return to Bristol, it would be a place I would consider staying again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel? Share your experiences!