“Very comfortable nights sleep” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

You added Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Redcliffe Hill, Bristol BS1 6SQ, England (Formerly Mercure Holland House Bristol)   |
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Bristol
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable nights sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Located fairly centrally it's not a bad location. No queues at reception, warm welcome and helpful staff. Some free drinks and canapés in reception on arrival too. Check in was quick and straightforward, although there was a waiver to sign if you want gym or pool access.

Room was a very good size, bed very comfortable with good bedding. Shower only in the room I had, but good big shower room. Double wardrobes, safe, kettle etc, desk.

A bit plus was a power socket next to the bed. Very handy for charging phone or using laptop.

Free wifi was a bonus.

Lighting, as with many hotels, was a little dull. All very nice, but one big bright light in the middle of the ceiling can be useful at times.

Pool was nice enough, functional, warm and clean.

Room was a little cool on arrival, did warm up with fan on full power, but too noisy to leave on all evening.

Worst bit was the TV. Not a freeview TV with limited channels, which is OK, but it was very difficult to use, taking ages to change channels, impossible guide. Eventually gave up in frustration. Was quite a modern TV, but obviously setup for limited hotel use.

Breakfast was typical buffet style with plenty of choice. Hash browns were under cooked, and bacon could have done with longer to give it some colour (and more taste). Eggs were good. Coffee just ok. Service was prompt and friendly.

Finally to taxis. The hotel is located on a short dual carriageway between two roundabouts. There is a layby in front of the hotel. In rush hour depending on where you want to go, you may have to queue down to the roundabout, and then queue all the way back up again, clocking up a fair having gone nowhere! Also, taxi drivers didn't check they were picking up the right person so you find someone has taken your taxi and then have to call again. Bit of a pain.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear overlook the car park and are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay but I can appreciate the frustration with the tv - I do apologise for this as we could have either fixed it or swapped it with another!
I have shared your comments within the various departments of the hotel as they are extremely useful for improving the services that we offer - and especially that you have written such a thoughtful and detailed review - thank you very much for this.
As for the taxis, I can confirm we have taken the appropriate action!
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight (Thurs/Fri) with our 2 year old grandson. Booked the Winter offer via the Accor site - bargain at 40% off! The family room we had was large (2 double beds), clean and comfortable. No bath, but large walk-in shower. Nice flatscreen TV - good selection of channels. Free wi-fi connection was good. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful. Used the pool - which was the warmest ever - great for kids. Ate dinner in the Restaurant. Took the fixed price menu, great value 2 courses £16.95 (3 course £19.95). Lovely food, well presented in nice surroundings. They also do childrens meals. Biggest problem here is the £12 overnight parking charge for residents - ROBBERY. Parking should be free for guests! Otherwise I recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Family rooms are large
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, we are very pleased that you chose one of our great deals! Also thank you for your kind words regarding staff - a great enouragment for them!
With regards to car parking, I am sorry that you felt this way. All city hotels charge for parking and we based our price on the other hotels!
Please do visit us again soon!
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had a poor experience of afternoon tea in Oct 2013 purchased on a Groupon type voucher & the manager answered my Review by inviting us for a complimentary tea which we had in early Dec. Wow! What a tea they provided. Nothing was too much trouble & the content of the tea was fantastic. A 3 tier cake stand full of 4 different sorts of sandwiches, egg, smoked salmon, cheese & chicken. And another cake stand with a lovely fresh scone each with loads of jam & cream plus chocolate brownies & assorted cream cakes. We had numerous refills to our tea & coffee & two of us had both tea & coffee. What a difference to our first experience. If this is the standard of the tea they would normally serve I would now highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fabulous! I am delighted that we had the opportunity to welcome you back - thank you very much for this! - and delighted that it was a wowser experience for you! Thank you for recommending us!
Yelverton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Decided to stay for one night to explore Bristol city centre. Ideally located in a relatively quiet area. About 10 minutes walk to the old town ( St Nicholas market ) and then not very far to the main shopping centre ( about 15 minutes walk ). Rooms were very spacious but the hotel was very staid and business like including the furniture. There was a lack of ambience. We had an evening meal which was perfect as was the breakfast. This used to be an insurance company building and it seems that it hasn't quite got its own identity yet. However, we would stay again as the value was exceptional ( £40 for the room including breakfast! ) although would happily pay more. The biggest disappointment was the swimming pool. At first it was claustrophobic being in the basement with no windows and the changing rooms were not particularly clean. We made two visits to the pool during our stay and on both occasions there were dirty towels, litter and debris left in the showers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback but I was of course very disapointed to read that the swimming pool area was not of the usual high standard of cleanliness; I do apologise for this.
Regarding the swimming pool, I do appreciate that some people would prefer natural light, however we try to creat a relaxing atmosphere with our multi coloured low lighting!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Nice hotel and lobby, with large rooms that are well equipped. However, the rooms and especially they bathrooms are getting tired and need not just cleaning but also refurbishment.

Staff were very friendly, as its brilliant to have free wifi in your room without being charged for it!

Another downside is the small gym and the swimming pool which has very low ceilings, making it feel very claustrophobic - hence why I didnt use it.

All in all a decent hotel, but needs updating to maintain its four star status

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us, I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is very useful as we are certainly preparing for future plans of potential refurbishments. Once again thank you for your comments!
U.K
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked this hotel for my sister's 16th Birthday. I booked the spa-revival package, for one night as a real treat and as a student this is rare and quite a lot of money for me !
I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival and explained our visit was for my sister's celebration and if there was any chance of being allocated a nice room. I received an email explaining we had been allocated a lovely room, overlooking the church.
I was very pleased, however on arrival there was no acknowledgement of my sister's birthday, whilst not always expected, it would of been nice to receive that personal touch.
Upon entering the room, sadly I felt very underwhelmed. It was mainly clean, with the exception being the bathroom, the view on offer wasn't great, facing the main road and flats, when previously being told we would get a lovely room overlooking the church it heightened the disappointment.
The gesture of a room upgrade would of been greatly appreciated and would of shown me the Mercure really value and want each guest to have a memorable experience. It is actions like this which for me ensure repeat custom and loyalty, which I am afraid they have failed to gain on this occasion.
I didn't feel it was suitable to bring this issue to the staff's attention, as it would of put a dampener on my sister's visit, furthermore when I had already been told we would be given a nice room it is really on the hotel's shoulders to keep to their word.
The poor lighting in the rooms is something to take note of, Mercure if the majority of your customers' complain about a function within your hotel, shouldn't you be trying to rectify this as soon as possible ? This is a valuable opportunity to show guests you care and are keen to propose a solution regarding the feedback you receive.
Nevertheless the hotel aesthetics' are lovely, just it is lacking in wowing the customer with thoughtfulness and service delivery.
Dinner was good, perhaps improvements could be made on the menu it was limited in both size and choice.
Breakfast was very good and the waiters were all attentive and friendly.
For me this 'luxury hotel' has the potential to be great but before, it needs to ensure the services offered and the guests' experiences are made the top priority.
Overall It has not done enough for me to return on this occasion, but I sincerely hope In the near future it will be special enough for me to return and celebrate with them again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your very thoughtful and considerate review. I am very disappointed that you did not receive the upgrade as promised, this is a certainly a mistake on our part I do apologise for this. Also, the fact that it was a special occasion should have been acknowledge by the team at reception and once again I offer my apologies.
We do take on board all feedback and we have of course noticed the repeated comments of dimmly lit rooms. I can assure you this has not been ignored but has been taken into great considertation in line with future refurbishment plans for the hotel. As I am sure you can appreciate with it being a 275 bedroom hotel it will not be a quick fix, but I can inform you that this is part of future plans. In the meantime we provide lamps at reception should anybody wish for more light in their room.
Once again we am very sorry that you did not receive the upgrade and should we hopefully have the opportinuty to welcome you again then please do contact the hotel directly.
Zowie Osborne Guest Services Manager

Been to Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!