“Great value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Redcliffe Hill, Bristol BS1 6SQ, England (Formerly Mercure Holland House Bristol)   |
Ranked #24 of 86 hotels in Bristol
London
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on a business trip. Although from the outside the hotel does not look like much (70's style architecture), the interior is very pleasant. My room was spacious with nice large tinted windows. The bathroom was clean with a good shower. Finally, the breakfast the next day was fabulous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments, please do stay with us again!

1,229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is one of the excellent Mercure chain hotels and is ideal for exploring the city with the riverside cafes and bars just a short walk away. It is only 10 minutes walk from Temple Meads station if travelling by train. The restaurant was far more peaceful than most chain hotels with an excellent table d'hote meal and breakfast. The spa was one of the best I have ever been to in a hotel and I had an excellent relaxing massage there. The only reason is dropped one star is that, like many British hotels, the ROCK HARD BED COMPANY has been selling its wares there - I need a sprung base as well as a mattress please.

Room Tip: If you can afford a superior room looking out of the front of the hotel towards the huge Parish Chur...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! We do strive to create a relaxing atmosphere in our restaurant and I am delighted that we have suceeded in our goal! I shall admit, your description of our beds coming from the 'rock hard beds company' was amusing but I do absolutely appreciate that our beds our down to each guests individual preference and it certainly is of a mixed opinion! Next time you stay we can easily pop a duvet under the bed sheet to make it a little more comfortable for you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

3rd stay at this hotel, always a pleasant stay and great value for money. Staff are very friendly and attentive. the location is quiet but only a short walk in to all the shops and bars etc. However if you don't like church bells be prepared for early alram call Sunday morning for the fanstastic St Mary Redcliff church.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

That's great that you've stayed with a us a few times! Regarding church bells - I can agree! Certainly down to personal preference, but they are lovely when they are ringing!
Horsham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Good position and ideal for visiting Bristol centre and docks all within walking distance. It was very cold the weekend we stayed but ask for an extra room key and leave the heating on all day. If you're sightseeing make sure you visit the "SS Great Britain"

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The SS Great Britain is a fun and interesting visit indeed! A definite must go see if you come to Bristol to see the sights!
The weather is starting to get better now thank goodness - Bristol is lovely in the summer, perhaps you could visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night on the way from Cornwall to Wales and had an excellent evening. We eat in the restaurant and had a delicious meal, slept well in really comfortable beds and had a brilliant choice of breakfast from the buffet. We also had a couple of treatments in spa which were very good indeed. Without exception, the staff were friendly and very helpful and we will definitely return when need to be in the area for work or play.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments! We are indeed proud of our scrumptious choice for breakfast and I am delighted that you enjoyed all the dining!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times due to work in the last 3 months with a summary below:
Positives
Friendly staff through out the hotel
Rooms nice modern decor (I was ugraded to a larger room with larger bed, coffee maker and church view)
Food: Dinner not bad (Ate in bar both times) Breakfast very good.
Location (Short walk to the town and other resturants along the Quay side. Small cinema worthe the visit)
Negatives
High cost for car park
Check you invoice on check out. I have had issues on each stay - all of which were refunded though very promptly.
This hotel does get busy - which you may see as a good thing but can be challenging if you want to sit alone in the bar.
Health suite - Very Clean an good basic equipment but not enough if busy.
Overall this is a good hotel.
I have also stayed at the Raddison Blu (Slightly better than this hotel due to location) and Mecure Brigstow (On par with this hotel) whilst in Bristol.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for you with us often and I am glad to see that you stayed with our sister hotel Brigstow too! Your comments are very useful and we shall be sharing them with all staff within the hotel. Please do not hesitate to share feedback during your stays also!
Barnsley,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the Easter bank holiday weekend, which was part of a tour organised by Wilfreda Beehive holidays.
First impressions of the hotel were very good, the main entrance leads straight into the reception area which also has the bar and lounge area adjacent to this on the same floor which I thought had a nice open plan feel to it. We were given our room keys straight away, and ended up on the third floor facing the back of the hotel. While we were away from the road at the front (although I must say any traffic noise did not bother us at all during our stay) our room had very large windows and was overlooked by other rooms as the hotel is in the shape of a square with a court yard in the middle- Although obviously this problem can be overcome by shutting all the curtains.
The bedroom was very large with two double beds- which I was not expecting in a twin room, and had a nice little seating area and table and a good sized wardrobe and drawers. There was also a little fridge that was handy for keeping drinks nice and cold and the welcome addition of an ironing board and iron (which I don't often come across in hotel rooms).
Although the decor was quite plain, it was nicely done and in keeping with modern feel to the rest of the hotel. I had a couple of issues with the room however. Firstly, there was a caster missing off one of the beds- so it was very wobbly and unstable. It was quite evident that the toilet had been "pebble-dashed" by a previous guest and the stains still remained, having not been cleaned well enough. Also there was a very noticeable smell of drains on the corridor outside, and upon entering the room it did get much stronger (however once in there for a while with the air con on, it did fade away).
As we were staying on a half board basis, we had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and I was very pleased by the standard of the food being served. I heard some other guests complaining about lack of choice for the buffet, but I must say I enjoyed everything I ate and thought that the choices available would cover most people’s tastes. I especially enjoyed the cooked breakfast buffet and the tasty desserts at dinner.
Overall I did enjoy my stay at this hotel. I would have preferred to have stayed a little closer to the city centre as there is a good 10-15 walk to reach the bars/shops etc- but I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for kindly taking the time to tell us of your stay, overall I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us, though I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping contractors as I am disappointed with a few of things that you have mentioned! The standard of the rooms for when a guest arrives should be of very high cleanliness and what you experienced is certainly not what we would usually put into practise and I do apologise.
I am delighted that you would stay with us again and I do hope that we will have this opportunity!
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel? Share your experiences!