“The best restaurant in Bristol?” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 1,459 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Vegetarian, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Bristol, UK
“The best restaurant in Bristol?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Super restaurant. Excellent and unobtrusive service. The food was cooked with a nice light touch and balance and lived up to the best of local seasonal produce billing.

Keep in up.

• Visited January 2013

Bristol
“Never fails to please”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been regulars at Wilks since it opened, replacing the much loved Culinaria. Wilks has more than met our expectations and every visit has been a pleasure. The Perigord truffle risotto is just sublime and the venison (I have had it twice in a row it was so good) perfectly cooked each time. Fish always beautifully cooked and James combines flavours and ingredients superbly in a changing menu. The Sunday night vegetable tasting menu was inovative and enjoyable. Christine is always welcoming and the service always attentive. I was disappointed that bristolfoodienadpa was so down on Wilks, but note that he has not really liked most of the restaurants he has written about! I think we might call him a serial complainer who knows less about food and service than he thinks he does! Wilks is lovely.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great cooking, lovely host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

A friend and I visited Wilks on a quiet Wednesday lunchtime in the mood for some good food and wine and we weren't disappointed. We were never made to feel rushed or hurried - we were free to enjoy the restaurant's hospitality at our own pace.

Deciding on the a la carte menu, my friend selected the pigeon starter and duck breast main while I had scallops to start and venison to follow. Further into the meal my friend delighted in her coffee meringue dessert saying it was 'the best dessert she had enjoyed in quite some time' - It was rather impressive! The petit fours which accompanied our coffees were brilliant.

The wine list at Wilks isn't huge though it ticks all the right boxes and is well suited to the food on offer with something good at each price point. We settled on Devils Corner Riesling from Tasmania to start and a red Burgundy to finish.

Service at Wilks was excellent. Informed, friendly and subtle.

I can think of several people who'd like Wilks so I will definitely be returning - luckily for me, it's in my neighbourhood!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited Wilks on valentine's day for the 6 course taster menu, and were both very impressed with the food. My partner doesn't drink, but I thought the wine pairing was superb (in fact too good, I got very tipsy!). I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would like to particularly compliment the female owner (I presume) for her very attentive service, we both felt extremelly welcome and looked-after, and the food itself, which was faultless. The complimentary pot of jam was a lovely, original touch too. My only criticisms would be that the tables were very close together and this made us feel a little uncomfortable at first, especially on valentine's night, to be so close to other couples! Also, we were offered bread which never arrived, disappointingly, as it sounded really nice. We will definitely be back for another meal and overall had a wonderful night, thank you.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a marvellous Valentine's evening. It was a full house with a lovely atmosphere and much thought clearly given to the seating plan.The six course taster menu was superb - delicious and well-balanced with top quality, locally sourced ingrediants. The staff were welcoming, delightful and very helpful. Front of house Christine was charming and happily offered to amend the menu to suit my cheese free diet. There is an excellent wine list and what a pleasure to find an admirable addition, to the usually found prosecco/cava, of an elegant and tasty cremant (half the price of champagne and just as good).

We had been visiting Culinaria regularly for many years and were hugely disappointed when the owners decided to sell the business. Having now dined at Wilks some half a dozen times we, and all of the Culinaria regulars we have spoken to, are delighted that in just a few months Wilks has exceeded all expectations. This really is a top notch restaurant.