“overrated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

You added Hotel du Vin & Bistro to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Sugar House | Narrow Lewins Mead, Bristol BS1 2NU, England   |
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I went to hotel du vin in a business dinner.

The decoration of the place is very nice, and it looks like you are going to get one of the best meals in Bristol. We ordered food that sounded magnificent from the description, but in reality was quite simple, and with nothing special. The quality of the food was good, but it wasn't as good or sophisticated as it should be for the price. The service was fine, a bit slow but not too bad: in a place with these prices you expect them to give you a very nice experience wich was not really there.

I was asked to recommend a wine for the table, and as I am originally from Barcelona, I took a look to the spanish wines that I knew. I was just about to recommend a "Marques de Caceres" gran reserva, when I realized it was 90 pounds a bottle! That is really a rip off. this wine is nice, but nothing special, you can find it in most spanish supermarkets for less than 18 euros, or around 22 pounds in specialized wine stores in the UK. And it's not a rare wine with some special taste discovered by a wise sommelier (which could explain the big difference of price), actually it is just a mass-produced good standard rioja wine that you get when you don't know anything about wines because you know that everybody will like it, that's it.
At the end we ordered a wine from California, it was 30 pounds a bottle, and just ok: not a lot of body or taste.

I don't recommend this place unless you want to pay a lot of money for ok food and get a non-special wine for 5 times its price in the store.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed at HDV for the first time even though we come from Bristol! We got upgraded to the Pommery Suite which was fantastic, huge room with mezzanine level which includes a roll top Bath and huge double shower! Yeh it's pricey but you get what you pay for!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here as a little get away with my partner and it was fantastic, we stayed in the veuve cliquot room which was absolutely beautiful, staff kindly offered to show us to our room and were very helpful. We had a huge bed, 2 plasma tvs, 2 baths, monsoon shower that could fit at least 10 people in it, plenty of towels, mini bar was well stocked, my partner had ordered flowers and chocolate covered strawberries on arrival which were lovely. We had a table booked in the bistro for 8pm and were promptly shown to our seats, starter, main and dessert were all bought out quickly, all the food was beautifully cooked and both me and my partner were completely satisfied with our meal. In the morning breakfast was just as good with a wide choice of cereal or cooked breakfast on offer and also a wide choice of drinks on offer, the fresh orange juice was nice and refreshing. After breakfast we had a quick checkout with no fuss. Will defiantly be returning for another relaxing night at the HDV

Room Tip: Stay in the veuve cliquot room it's beautiful, very spacious and has 2 roll top baths, wasn'...
Bridport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed here for a mid week Birthday treat. I would highly recommend the professional and friendly service of the staff, the ambiance and the quality of the food. Any hiccups (there are always some) were more than adequately and expediently compensated for. My only gripe was the noise from the room above, purely down to the floorboards I might ad. We should have asked to change room but I think the excellent wine on night one aided my rest. On a return visit I would ask to be situated where this is not of issue but the overall experience was pretty outstanding. Many thanks

Room Tip: Ask about the floors in the room above.
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here again in March and had a fantastic time. The service is the restaurant and bar was great. We had some cocktails in the bar before deciding to order room service later in the evening. The food we ordered was delcious and arrived very promptly. Love the choice of food and drinks in the mini bar and as we had a delux room, we could enjoy the roll top bath whilst being really lazy and watching the TV !! Room had everything you could ever want, including a coffee machine which was a nice touch. Beds were fantastically comfortable which allowed for a very restful sleep. Breakfast has a fantastic choice of hot / cold options - you certainly won't leave hungry. Overall, our bill was rather high (as we had enjoyed one too many drinks) but it was well worth it for a self pamper day / night. Would definitely return for special ocassions.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited the restaurant without booking on the off chance they would have a free table, i was accommodated with no fuss. From the time i entered the restaurant the waiting staff made sure i was well looked after without any fuss.

The restaurant food is of excellent quality and is well worth a visit, highly recommend

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Went to Hotel du Vin, Bristol last week with my Mum for an afternoon tea, and we weren't disappointed! We had a choice of teas, a lovely selection of fresh sandwiches, fruit tarts, warm chocolate brownies (to die for!!) and fresh, warm scones with clotted cream and jam. Wow! Waiting staff were great, very attentive but not too over bearing, as they can often be in high end places. We were left to our own devices and were able to enjoy our surroundings as well as the food. As with all HdV's, this one is a unique property, architecturally quirky and a lovely place to relax, with nice artwork on the walls and funky planters throughout. The bar was very well stocked, which is always good, and the music ambient. I would definetely recommend the bistro for food, drinks and a high tea. Only small criticism would be that in the lounge area, i.e. not formal dining, the proportions of the comfy leather chairs to tables seem slightly wrong! I would prefer to be eating off tables rather than wooden trunks, but hey it adds to the quirky vibe, I guess!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel du Vin & Bistro? Share your experiences!