“Beautiful room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

You added Hotel du Vin & Bistro to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Sugar House | Narrow Lewins Mead, Bristol BS1 2NU, England   |
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
“Beautiful room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here as a little get away with my partner and it was fantastic, we stayed in the veuve cliquot room which was absolutely beautiful, staff kindly offered to show us to our room and were very helpful. We had a huge bed, 2 plasma tvs, 2 baths, monsoon shower that could fit at least 10 people in it, plenty of towels, mini bar was well stocked, my partner had ordered flowers and chocolate covered strawberries on arrival which were lovely. We had a table booked in the bistro for 8pm and were promptly shown to our seats, starter, main and dessert were all bought out quickly, all the food was beautifully cooked and both me and my partner were completely satisfied with our meal. In the morning breakfast was just as good with a wide choice of cereal or cooked breakfast on offer and also a wide choice of drinks on offer, the fresh orange juice was nice and refreshing. After breakfast we had a quick checkout with no fuss. Will defiantly be returning for another relaxing night at the HDV

Room Tip: Stay in the veuve cliquot room it's beautiful, very spacious and has 2 roll top baths, wasn'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bridport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed here for a mid week Birthday treat. I would highly recommend the professional and friendly service of the staff, the ambiance and the quality of the food. Any hiccups (there are always some) were more than adequately and expediently compensated for. My only gripe was the noise from the room above, purely down to the floorboards I might ad. We should have asked to change room but I think the excellent wine on night one aided my rest. On a return visit I would ask to be situated where this is not of issue but the overall experience was pretty outstanding. Many thanks

Room Tip: Ask about the floors in the room above.
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here again in March and had a fantastic time. The service is the restaurant and bar was great. We had some cocktails in the bar before deciding to order room service later in the evening. The food we ordered was delcious and arrived very promptly. Love the choice of food and drinks in the mini bar and as we had a delux room, we could enjoy the roll top bath whilst being really lazy and watching the TV !! Room had everything you could ever want, including a coffee machine which was a nice touch. Beds were fantastically comfortable which allowed for a very restful sleep. Breakfast has a fantastic choice of hot / cold options - you certainly won't leave hungry. Overall, our bill was rather high (as we had enjoyed one too many drinks) but it was well worth it for a self pamper day / night. Would definitely return for special ocassions.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited the restaurant without booking on the off chance they would have a free table, i was accommodated with no fuss. From the time i entered the restaurant the waiting staff made sure i was well looked after without any fuss.

The restaurant food is of excellent quality and is well worth a visit, highly recommend

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Went to Hotel du Vin, Bristol last week with my Mum for an afternoon tea, and we weren't disappointed! We had a choice of teas, a lovely selection of fresh sandwiches, fruit tarts, warm chocolate brownies (to die for!!) and fresh, warm scones with clotted cream and jam. Wow! Waiting staff were great, very attentive but not too over bearing, as they can often be in high end places. We were left to our own devices and were able to enjoy our surroundings as well as the food. As with all HdV's, this one is a unique property, architecturally quirky and a lovely place to relax, with nice artwork on the walls and funky planters throughout. The bar was very well stocked, which is always good, and the music ambient. I would definetely recommend the bistro for food, drinks and a high tea. Only small criticism would be that in the lounge area, i.e. not formal dining, the proportions of the comfy leather chairs to tables seem slightly wrong! I would prefer to be eating off tables rather than wooden trunks, but hey it adds to the quirky vibe, I guess!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Southwest England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stumbled across this place during a little afternoon internet surfing, whilst looking for somewhere a little different to stay to break up the journey from Cornwall to Norfolk. We stayed here on a Sunday night, which meant we could take advantage of their Sunday stopover offer "Spend £75 in the restaurant bar and the room only costs £25" Spending £75 on our dinner was easy peasy! The menu was tempting and the food fabulous. The dining room was busy enough to have atmosphere, but not packed out, as I suspect a Friday of Saturday might have seen it. The Wine menu is extensive, the cocktail menu a brilliant blend of classics and and a couple of new ones with a twist. As for the service - I cannot fault it - spot on.
We stayed in the Laphroaig Room, which is a standard double(king) room. The room was very comfortable, and my partner was very impressed by the posh coffee machine, It is the Bathroom that will tempt me into returning to this hotel (or others in the small chain) though. A deliciour claw footed roll top bath, long and deep, a shower in which you take 5 full paces from one end to the other, with a monsoon shower head in the middle that will drench you in a millisecond. I have to admit to spending a lot of time under water in this hotel!
Bad points - these are probably minor, but personally i would prefer the double doors to the bathroom did not have an element of clear glass to them - i don't like anyone seeing me on the loo!! and one hot choc pouch between two seemed stingy on the tea tray, as did no complementary biscuit!

Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had been to Bristol a few times before but it was the first time staying at the Hotel du Vin, downtown. Having heard a lot about it before, I haven't been disappointed. The rooms were nice and spacious, well equipped and individually decorated. The bathroom was exceptional: spaces with a free standing bath and a rainfall shower. The staff was nice and very helpful. The bar is very cosy and offers a good choice of drinks and both dinner and breakfast were very good. Definitively worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel du Vin & Bistro? Share your experiences!