“Bijou, but welcoming and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

The Regency Bristol Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   40 - 44 St Pauls Road, Bristol BS8 1LR, England   |
Ranked #56 of 89 Bristol B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Bijou, but welcoming and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here on my own, but out of habit reserved a double room rather than a single - and was glad that I did! Yes, it had a double bed in the room, but it would have been rather a snug fit to fit two people in comfortably - there was not a lot of room between the bed and the wall, that's for sure. Like Lala0801's room, the radiator didn't appear to work and the room was cold, but as I wasn't spending an awful lot of time in it this wasn't such an issue. I also noticed the lack of shower gel, but as I am a habitual overpacker and always travel with my own toiletries this didn't pose a problem either.

The staff were wonderfully welcoming, and bent over backwards to make sure I had everything I needed - and were very helpful when a main fuse blew, turning out the lights while I was in the shower! The bed was very comfortable, and I did get a wonderful night's sleep.

I did find it strange being asked to pay in advance for my room, and that breakfast wasn't included, but I guess this comes down to the fact that the restaurant and bar are separate businesses to the hotel. While understandable, this does put a little air of...something...mistrust? over the process of checking in to the hotel. But, these factors aside, it is a reasonably priced, very comfortable, conveniently located bed for the night - and you will never find a more helpful manager.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The best night sleep in a hotel for a looooong time.

The hotel is very quaint the decor is to a high standard and I was sooo happy as I finally got a nights sleep.

Rested and relaxed I had time to talk to the staff on the morning who were very helpful in terms of advising what was good to see and do in Bristol.

Would I stay again - of course !!
Would I recommend it - without hesitation!

Pembroke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed at the Regency Hotel in March 2012 with my girlfriend. We booked it as it was only a few miles from Bristol Airport and we were travelling to Portugal early the next day. On arrival the staff were helpful and friendly and we were in our room within a few minutes. The room was furnished to a high standard and everything looked clean and new. The Hotel has in in-house restaurant so we ate our evening meal there. Really nice food and the staff were friendly and helpful. After our meal we went downstairs to the bar. Again, nice staff and good selection of drinks. The bar has a beer garden with outdoor heating so we sat outside with a bottle of wine, which was nice :) We had a good night’s sleep in our room and the bathroom was also nice and clean. We had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning and checkout took less than a minute. All in all our stay was better than expected and it is close to the airport and city centre, so I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed here recently for one night as with a group of 3 other women. 3 of us had booked single rooms. On arrival the owner arranged for us to park on the forecourt of the hotel and was very welcoming. She checked us in and showed us to our rooms and where the bar and restaurant were. On initial inspection the rooms were very nice, very clean and newly rufurbished with lovely soft carpet. We were on the lower ground floor - same level as the bar. In the room was a single wardrobe, a table and chair, a small table with a kettle, mug and one tea bag and 2 plastic pots of uht milk, sugar etc. The bed was very comfortable - I assume it was new. All was going well until I opened the back door to the room which led to a very compact rear yard -the width of the room with a wooden shiplap fence. In the yard was a load of cable, an old door, a paint can and a load of plastic wrapping. Ok I wasn't going to sit out there - well I wouldn't have been able to if I'd wanted to due to no chair! Not a big deal but it might have been nice for this to have been removed before having guests in the room. The other issues I had with the room were 1) the shower tray leaked 2) the cold tap dripped permanently 3) the extractor fan didn't appear to have been cleaned in a long time - see photo 4) there was no shower gel supplied 5) the radiator in the bedroom did not have an adjustable thermostat and remained switched off.
None of these are major issues, but having seen my friends single room which was right next door, she didn't have any of these problems. A 4 star hotel should at least have ample toiletries and more than 1 teabag in the room! We did ask for more teabags when we came back to the hotel on Friday night and were given 1 (no, not 1 each) with the promise of more later -which I believe my friend received.
I have written a seperate review of the Restaurant, as that is independantly owned, so breakfast was not included in the price of the room - a rather odd set up!
I have to say the owners were really lovely, couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome and gave us loads of information about Bristol. Just a little sort out of housekeeping maybe and I would have scored a higher review. I would go back again however if I needed to stay near to central Bristol.

Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012 via mobile

Had a fantastic weekend stay here at end of February joining our son, who studies in Bristol for his 21st birthday.

Hotel recently opened everything first rate. Very clean, staff welcoming. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and that was also good.

Only issue is parking. We have quite a large car and finding space in the road was tricky. Saturday evening a member of staff gave up his own road space and juggled cars around so we could park. Thereafter we left the car and walked, which is easy as Bristol is quite compact.

• Stayed February 2012
northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

A small hotel close to Whiteladies Road.Recently refurbished to a high standard. Very clean and beds really comfortable. En suite facilities good. The staff were really friendly and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring we had a good stay. Good location as close to Clifton, Whiteladies Road and the University and so excellent location if visiting kids at uni! Car parking sparse although at weekends side streets were ok. We'll definitely use this hotel again when staying in Bristol.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

stayed at this hotel for three nights on buisness course in bristol.stumbled across the hotel by mistake and glad i did.Arrived late about 9-30pm and the girl on reception could not have been more helpfull.Next morning i met ithink was the manageress and she too was very pleasant and helpfull.IN fact evry one was pleasant from the bar staff to the girl in the breakfast area.I informed the manageres about my shower not working and she had it fixed straight away and couldnt be more appologetic.i didnt eat at night there because i was eating out with my son who lives in bristol.The hotel was comfortable and clean what more could you ask for.Its close to bristol city centre about £7 for a taxi,5mins to whiteladies road for all the resteraunts and 10 mins walk to clifton village with all the resteraunts.All in all i would recommend this hotel ive stopped in nearby hotels before for more money and not half as good

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Regency Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!