“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Toad Lodge Guest House

Toad Lodge Guest House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bristol
Toad Lodge Guest House
You added Toad Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
12 Cotham Park | Cotham, Bristol BS6 6BU, England   |
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
London
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

I booked to stay in Toad Lodge with my mother on 12 April for a family wedding. I didn't find the property myself - one of my relatives did a search on b&b's close to the church and picked this one.

I wasn't expecting much for the price, and as we were only staying 1 night, I had prepared myself for somewhere basic. From the outside, the house looks grand, and could be a great place with a little effort.

When we got into the reception area, my heart sank into my stomach. The place was old, dirty, dusty, and just as a previous reviewer has mentioned, it definitely had the air of an old person's home.

The room was... weird. Toads were everywhere, the bedspreads were Wind in the Willows and very, very old. The decor - it looked like they'd started to renovate the place before giving up completely. The beds were flimsy, metal frames - the sort you'd find in a child's room.

The towels smelled, the shower was dirty, and the 'wardrobe' was a door that opened onto a wall with a hook.

Luckily, we weren't there for long before we had to leave for the wedding, and just thinking and talking about the place with our relatives that were also staying there filled us with dread about going back. So we soon made the decision to leave that night and caught the train back to London.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone - there are hundreds of b&bs in Bristol, and this has to be the worst of them all!

• Liked — The garden looked nice
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

Only stay here if you are short on anecdotes, and want “an experience”. It is ODD.

Toads EVERYWHERE: plastic ones, metal ones, wooden ones, stone ones, concrete ones. Even the toilet paper holder was a toad. The dining room was full of Egyptology. Maybe this is charming. Recommended an Italian restaurant which was very unpleasant. Room very basic, but everything you need is there. (Even the bedcovers have toads on them…). Bathrooms shared and very basic.

Breakfast (OK, not great) around large communal table, nutty toad rock band clock in dinning room.

Fun but not professional.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I booked a three day stay prior to leaving for japan, upon my return from Tokyo I contacted the owner from London Paddington to confirm that I was arriving as per my reservation and was told that everything was fine. When I arrived at toad lodge I had been traveling for more than 20 hours. To my dismay they had double booked my room. despite the fact that I presented the printout of our email correspondence the owner refused to accept any responsibility what so ever or offer an apology. The reason? - that it was the person who "knows how to use the computer"s fault. The owner called me a cab but couldn't tell me if anywhere else was available or how much it would cost, in fact she even advised me that I "probably wouldn't find anywhere" being as it was after 9pm. Luckily a friend of a friend who lives in Bristol came to my assistance. I requested that the owner cancel the cab, She was extremely irritated at my request but at least she managed an apology to the cab firm! Had the owner accepted responsibility, booked alternative accommodation, paid the difference and at least offered an apology I would have accepted that these things happen from time to time. In the event none of these basic remediations were forthcoming, Toad lodge had completely failed in their duty of care to their customer.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

Stayed here for one night as i was watching cricket just down the road. Paid £33 for a spacious room inc breakfast. Slightly out of date but very comfortable and clean. Helpful lady in charge and good location. Didnt stay for breakfast but even so still pretty good value for a place close to the city centre.

• Liked — unique
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Toad Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!