“Dirty, old and smelling of urine.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Toad Lodge Guest House

Toad Lodge Guest House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bristol
Toad Lodge Guest House
You added Toad Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
12 Cotham Park | Cotham, Bristol BS6 6BU, England   |
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Dirty, old and smelling of urine.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed for roughly a month in the Toad Lodge while looking for a flat in Bristol. Although I had booked an ensuite room, we were given one without its own bathroom. We did not know then how long we were going to stay there at first (that depended on how lucky we were on the flat hunting) but, anyway, we were asked to pay in advance (luckily enough, we could pay by groups of five days at a time).

The room was of a reasonable size, with a basin, two beds, some old chairs and some hangers in a wardrobe. The beds were really old, with old mattresses and bed linen. Pillow covers were so old that the colour was faded at their centre due to years of rubbing heads. The towels were changed daily and the bed linen once a week. The toad decorated duvets were not particularly clean. My girlfriend even got bitten by bugs at that room.

The bathroom (shared with only one other room) was not clean enough with stains on the walls, on the bath tube and in the toilet pan that lasted for our whole stay. It was never cleaned properly, and was disgusting to use. Soap, shampoo or shower gel were not provided. One night the toilet got blocked and Madam Toad kept insinuating that my girlfriend was disposing of her toiletries down the loo. I needed to, explicitly, say "Madam, my girlfriend is not in those days at the moment" to stop her from accusing us.

The whole house looks as if it were an old folks house in the past. Everything is quite old, and there is a persistent smell of stale urine (and, sometimes, even faeces) throughout the building. Every corner is decorated with toads: eccentric and funny at first, but even scary after some time.

We dealt mainly with two people from the staff. Madam Toad was eccentric and not nice at all. On the contrary, the person serving the breakfast was very nice and picturesque. He, together with the breakfast itself, are the only things that can be saved from that place. Breakfast was good (full english+ a range of cereals) although for a long term stay it was not varied enough.

I would not recommend it for a stay longer than a few days, and for someone who is not in a tight budget. The lodge needs a complete cleansing and a renovation.

Room Tip: Trying in a different place
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My daughter was in hospital so had to find somewhere to stay, this was the only place with a room. whole place run down stinks of cats, wee and cigarette smoke had to pay before seeing the room walked in and instantly felt dirty and smelt sooo strongly of smoke. decided actually i would rather sleep on a chair at the hospital so did not stay overnight, i just couldn't face it. I am not a fussy person i would have slept anywhere but this was just too bad.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I chose Toad Lodge based on a convenient location and a competitive price. The reviews online were definitely mixed, though, so I was a little concerned when I arrived that I might be in for a bumpy ride. But Toad Lodge was *great*. The room was freshly redone and very clean; beds comfortable; garden gorgeous; (outdoor) cats charming; clean towels daily; hearty full English breakfasts very good; toad (and frog) theme in decor deliberately entertaining; breakfast chef / server delightful. For 23 pounds per person per night, bathroom en suite, you can't beat Toad Lodge: I'll definitely stay here again if I return to Bristol! (Well, I could suggest new pillows on the beds and better water pressure in the shower; but 2/3 of all English lodgings I've experienced had lousy water pressure. What's that about?)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at Toad Lodge for a period of 3 months when I first came to work in Bristol several years ago. I loved it immediately. It is a beautiful house (if a little shabby) in a lovely area and the many toad decorations are just charming. Over the period of my stay I came to know the owners quite well and they truly made me feel at home.

As other reviewers have said the breakfast is good, the rooms are clean and the cost is reasonable but it is the quirkiness and originality of the place that make your stay a truly unique experience. I would stay there again with pleasure and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

First of all, when I booked my room on the phone for one night and was just asking whether there are more nights available, I wasn't treated nicely and was asked whether that I was still staying that night or not. Arriving at the place, a distinct smell of urine welcomed me and the lady who asked me to pay upfront. I was told on the phone several times that I have to pay straight away but I thought I give it a go anyway. I booked an ensuite room which turned out to be a twin room with extremely small beds. As I was shattered, I slept well but the next morning I was disgusted by the hygiene of the bathroom facility. It comes worse though: I had to ask them to leave my luggage near the reception for my friend to pick it up. The luggage was left unattended and unlocked somewhere near the reception and when my friend came to pick it up, she wasn't even asked for identity.
If you want to stay in Bristol, be prepared to pay a couple of pound more and then you'll get something worth the money but this lodge needs a complete make-over. Horrible!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We read mixed reviews about this place before we booked, but still went just to see what it would be like. Yes, the place and the owners are very eccentric, but that just adds to the place :) Toads EVERYWHERE ! ... even on the bedding :)

Dont come here and expect Holiday Inn quality - its a small B&B, but the people were really friendly, the room was nice and clean, and the service at breakfast, along with the food itself, was second to none :)

We will definately be going again - see you soon Mrs. Toad !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Toad lodge is different, very different from most hotels or B&Bs. I won't take up space describing its quirks, needless to say it's unlikely you've stayed anywhere like it.

Pros: the price is excellent; parking is generally available; location is brilliant for uni/town; it's a break from the uniform drudgery of Travelodges.

Cons: service could be better, seems to be more about the needs of Madame Toad rather than the customer (apart from the breakfast guy); breakfast isn't brilliant (but there is a good selection); on-site parking is not guaranteed, despite being described as such.

In summary - you are not going to get an amazing experience from staying here. You will get a very reasonably priced sleep with breakfast in a highly convenient location.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Toad Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!