“Fond Memories” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Toad Lodge Guest House

Toad Lodge Guest House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bristol
Toad Lodge Guest House
You added Toad Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
12 Cotham Park | Cotham, Bristol BS6 6BU, England   |
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
“Fond Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at Toad Lodge for a period of 3 months when I first came to work in Bristol several years ago. I loved it immediately. It is a beautiful house (if a little shabby) in a lovely area and the many toad decorations are just charming. Over the period of my stay I came to know the owners quite well and they truly made me feel at home.

As other reviewers have said the breakfast is good, the rooms are clean and the cost is reasonable but it is the quirkiness and originality of the place that make your stay a truly unique experience. I would stay there again with pleasure and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

First of all, when I booked my room on the phone for one night and was just asking whether there are more nights available, I wasn't treated nicely and was asked whether that I was still staying that night or not. Arriving at the place, a distinct smell of urine welcomed me and the lady who asked me to pay upfront. I was told on the phone several times that I have to pay straight away but I thought I give it a go anyway. I booked an ensuite room which turned out to be a twin room with extremely small beds. As I was shattered, I slept well but the next morning I was disgusted by the hygiene of the bathroom facility. It comes worse though: I had to ask them to leave my luggage near the reception for my friend to pick it up. The luggage was left unattended and unlocked somewhere near the reception and when my friend came to pick it up, she wasn't even asked for identity.
If you want to stay in Bristol, be prepared to pay a couple of pound more and then you'll get something worth the money but this lodge needs a complete make-over. Horrible!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We read mixed reviews about this place before we booked, but still went just to see what it would be like. Yes, the place and the owners are very eccentric, but that just adds to the place :) Toads EVERYWHERE ! ... even on the bedding :)

Dont come here and expect Holiday Inn quality - its a small B&B, but the people were really friendly, the room was nice and clean, and the service at breakfast, along with the food itself, was second to none :)

We will definately be going again - see you soon Mrs. Toad !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Toad lodge is different, very different from most hotels or B&Bs. I won't take up space describing its quirks, needless to say it's unlikely you've stayed anywhere like it.

Pros: the price is excellent; parking is generally available; location is brilliant for uni/town; it's a break from the uniform drudgery of Travelodges.

Cons: service could be better, seems to be more about the needs of Madame Toad rather than the customer (apart from the breakfast guy); breakfast isn't brilliant (but there is a good selection); on-site parking is not guaranteed, despite being described as such.

In summary - you are not going to get an amazing experience from staying here. You will get a very reasonably priced sleep with breakfast in a highly convenient location.

• Stayed February 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

never trust ANY hotel that asks for payment up front before you've even seen your room. think adams family crosseed with steptoe and son and that gives an idea of how dated and rough this place and it's owners were. awful decor and beds were like cheap camping beds

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

found this b&b by accident in yellow pages , if you can look byond the dirt and dust and take it for what it is - it can be tollerated for a SHORT stay only - FANTASTIC bistro just around the corner ( walk 2mins ) ALFREDS cafe/bistro excellent food excellent prices .
Toad hall brilliant breakfast .

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stay at this guest house during the week as I work in Bristol. The first point to note is that it is very convenient for the city centre and is on the right side of town, so no nasty surprises or expensive taxi journeys!

My welcome has been warm from the outset. Madam Toad does take accomodation cost up front; however she does explain this when bookings are made. The house itself is old and grand; however it is fair to say that it is a litttle dated. The decor is a little eccentric; but not ridiculously so.

There are many positives. First and foremost is the cost. Bristol hotels are not cheap. Toad Lodge offers very good value for money. I pay £29per night as a single traveller, but the cost per head of sharers starts at £18pppn. The rooms are large and have 12 foot ceilings. Some are ensuite; however a maximum of two rooms share the communal bathrooms. All rooms have a modern sink unit. All rooms have a TV with freeview channels and tea/coffee making facilities. All rooms have plenty of hanging space. Beds are basic, but comfortable.

Rooms are serviced every day. Fresh towels are supplied and changed regularly. I live in a old house, which I find difficult to heat; however Toad lodge is warm as it has good central heating. It also has all the hot water you could possibly need: a real problem in some other estblishments.

Breakfast is very good given the price paid: juice, choice of cereals, followed by cooked breakfast and toast. Choice of tea and coffee. Unfortunately it is only served between 8 and 9am; however breakfast host is very friendly.

In summary, it is not the Ritz; however it is very good value for money. Not the obvious choice for a romantic break, btu a good choice for a business or budget traveller.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Toad Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!