“Annual membership is great value with kids” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 97 Attractions in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: At Bristol Zoo Gardens you can enjoy an amazing world of animals, all within our award-winning 12 acre gardens. With over 400 species and 9 animals houses under cover, you'll enjoy your visit whatever the weather. We suggest you allow 2-5 hours for your visit to really take in everything we have to offer.By visiting Bristol Zoo you will be directly contributing to the conservation of endangered species and habitats.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Annual membership is great value with kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been a member her for 5 year. We have just cancelled as kids are too old now, but for years my wife went over 20 times a year. Good park and carfe and great place to meet friends with kids on the weekends.

They have had a (extra charge) sky walk line as well which is fun for the older kids.

Lions are great!

Visited August 2012

• Polish first
East Midlands
3 attraction reviews
“Great fun for the whole family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm not a big fan of zoos at all, so while I was looking forward to the visit for my children I wasn't really that excited. However, this is a fantastic example of how a zoo can focus on conservationism and breeding endangered species. They didn't have many large animals, a consideration of the size of the zoo, and focussed on many small animals. My son loves Aye Ayes (which is why we chose Bristol) and his patience was rewarded as after half and hour of waiting quietly the aye-aye came right up to the glass and looked straight at him. The enclosure may be small, but Bristol is one of the only Zoo's to have bred this species so they must be happy! There is so much do do as well. The tree top was a safe and but adventurous challenge for children and the food good value. You can't really compare it with a zoo like Colchester or Twycross, it's completely different in how it operates and the types of animals it keeps.

Visited December 2012
Hong Kong
8 attraction reviews
“Fun afternoon trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The zoo itself is set up fairly well, although it is quite small and you wonder sometimes how much room the animals need compared to what they have. They do have a lot of species though, including two beautiful lions. Feeding time is a great activity - penguins and seals in particular.

Visited October 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very good despite the ignorant views of other visitors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Bristol zoo has changed and evolved so much over the years. It has gone from being a place where people go to look at sad caged animals, to a zoo much more focused on education and conservation.
It makes me sad to read reviews such as 'where are the animals?' or 'the animals were all asleep' this is so ignorant, animals sleep! You cant poke them with sticks to make them move!
I am very pleased that as the larger animals such as the magnificent wendy has sadly died - they are no longer replacing them but instead making the current enclosures for their animals much much better.
Definately a great day out for any family and a great education for kids, who, in my opinion should be brought up believing these beautiful creatures should be in the wild.

Visited December 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“So disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

It was very sad visiting Bristol Zoo. I have corporate membership and I have been meaning to go for years. Having grown up near Colchester Zoo, I hadn't realised how spoilt I was. I finally visited Bristol Zoo and was deeply saddened by how small the animal enclosures were and how miserable the animals looked. There was only one lion and it was crying out throughout the whole time we were there. It may be because it was pretty wet but all of the animals were hiding and just seemed really docile and sad.
They don't have a great selection of animals and I am told that many of them have died over the past few years.
The prices on site are an absolute rip off and I definitely won't be visiting again.

Visited November 2012