“A friendly railway in Avon Valley” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avon Valley Railway (AVR)

Avon Valley Railway (AVR)
Bath Road | Bitton Station, Bristol BS30 6HD, England
0117 932 5538
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 296 things to do in Bristol
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Bristol and Bath's heritage steam railway, offering a six mile round trip which takes passengers along sections of the old Midland Railway, providing a chance to see the magnificent River Avon Valley from a unique viewpoint.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A friendly railway in Avon Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My first visit and as advertised on their very good website diesel 31130 was in charge all day. The loco and coaches were very well restored and all the staff were friendly. The nice buffet kept me supplied with tea. The line is about 3 miles in length with a cycle way by the side of it. The day rover ticket was only £6.50 which was good value.

Visited August 2014

Cricklade, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
“Enthusiastic time on enthusiasts railway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Brought 10 of us for a Sunday roast lunch to help me celebrate my 65 birthday. I cannot commend the staff more highly - everyone was cheerful, pleasant and helpful. As we steamed backwards and forwards from Bitton Station up to Oldland Common then down to the River Avon Halt we were served in the Dining Car with a beef or lamb roast plus a large bowl of various vegetables. The meat was excellent and the vegetables well cooked. For dessert we had apple pies, fruit salads and a chocolate roulade. The price of the meal also included the train fare which at £25 per head I thought very reasonable. The beers, wines and soft drinks were also reasonably priced.
The track is only 3 miles long but because the meal and drinks took from midday until nearly 3 p.m. we saw the same places on a number of occasions giving rise to a feeling reminiscent of the Monty Python Déjà Vu sketch.
If you are a rail enthusiast or would like a slightly different approach to Sunday lunch I can strongly recommend a visit to the Avon Valley Railway. Have a look at their web site.

Visited August 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Great place for all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I often ride along the Bristol and Bath cycle track and stop here for a cup of tea and rest before heading back home. You can watch the trains whilst eating or drinking outside on the seating provided. There is also a grassy area if you fancy a picnic. I took my mum there last year for her birthday (83 years young) as she loves the old Steam trains, as I do. We also took my children and grand daughter. We turned back time as we had a ride in the old carriages and then had fish and chips for lunch in the restaurant, which was also an old converted carriage. The station has been carefully maintained and the ticket office manned by helpful staff. Everyone seems to be an enthusiast from young to old and can tell you a wealth of information about the railway and its steam engines. The great thing is that you don't need a lot of money to enjoy AVR. From just passing by to sit and watch or riding the trains, to sipping a cold juice or full lunch next to the platform, it's a great venue for all

Visited August 2013
Portsmouth, England
18 attraction reviews
“Pleasant half day out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We didn't bring the car to Bristol so used public transport (a 40-45 min bus ride from the centre of Bristol) and arrived for the first journey of the day (11:00). So one complete round trip later, browsing the shop, drinking a coffee plus the return bus ride saw us back in Bristol by 13:30.

It wasn't a steam day though we knew this in advance so I would advise you to check their very good website if you particularly want to ride on a steam train. Very wet Saturday - it was quite entertaining watching the torrential downpours from the cafe!

In my opinion unless you go for one of the special themed weekends/dining experiences, as an adult, half a day should be sufficient. Friendly, helpful staff ensure you have a good time.

Visited July 2014
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I joined some work colleagues for a murder mystery evening ran by a company called afterdark. It was one of the best evenings out we've ever had. The actors were simply superb and made the entire evening very special. It was an allo allo themed evening and by the end of it our faces hurt from laughing so much. We can't wait to see them again. The food was also pretty good and service was excellent aboard the beautiful steam train. We highly recommend this!!!!