“It was OK, just” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 86 hotels in Bristol
Leeds, United Kingdom
“It was OK, just”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff but the hotel itself has seen better days. It will be interesting to see what it's like after the refurb. It was "cheap" so as ever you get what you pay for. Our room was quite big, the beds were clean and comfortable but the carpet was grubby and the bathroom very tired with a horrible shower curtain. Location was great, near Park Street/Whiteladies Road so loads of places walkable. Didn't have any food here as the Lockside Cafe is the place to breakfast if you're in Bristol. Plus loads of good eateries near by.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear there were so many aspects of the hotel you found pleasing, that you enjoyed the location for your trip to Bristol and that the accommodation was both clean and comfortable. You will be pleased to know that over the next few weeks all of the older carpets in the hotel are being replaced and that over a rolling program we are looking to replace all shower curtains with glass screens.

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Can't believe this was only £25 for the night!

Very friendly service on the front desk. Can't really fault the room. We had a nice double bed, big sash window, TV, kettle, hair drier, fresh loose leaf t&c, bowl of fruit, biscuits, adequet size bathroom. Plenty of pillows, quilts, sheets, blanket.

Decor was a little tired, but for the money, you can't go wrong. Plus I believe they are in the process of refurbishing.

Was a bit worried about noise from the bar, as we were on ground floor. But was perfectly quiet.

Great location, walkable to city centre - but also plenty to do in Clifton area.

Would certainly stay here again if visiting bristol

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you took advantage of one of our special offers and were able to enjoy The Clifton at a discounted rate. Thank you for taking the time to review us – as a small and independent business feedback is very important to us.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Don't be put off by the reviews! The hotel staff were friendly & helpful (especially Nathan) and went out of their way to sort out baggage,taxis, directions and helpful advice. The room was clean & comfortable. Great breakfast sitting outside in the sun with an excellent veggie option. Would definitely visit again. Maybe the decor is a bit tired but the smiley staff & good value for money more than make up for this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you found the hotel staff (especially Nathan!) so friendly and helpful; we pride ourselves in providing excellent levels of customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy another sunny breakfast should you return to Bristol in the future.
Chulilla, Valencia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is in easy walking distance of Clifton village, the suspension bridge and the harbour área of Bristol. Clean, comfortable and excellent price/quality relationship. Good choice of breakfasts and helpful, friendly staff. No complaints from us, who always stay in budget hotels and found this to be one of the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a small and independent business feedback is extremely important to us. I am pleased to hear that you found staff friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the location for your visit to Bristol. I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.
Kent, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

With our son at Bristol Uni I have stayed here for over 5 years and, and until recently the great service and boutique nature (fresh fruit and coffee in the room) plus secure off road parking outweighed the fact that the rooms are very small (and I mean small!) and it was in need of refurbishment, or at least a coat of paint.

But recently we stayed and frankly never again. We booked an Executive Double Room which always used to mean a decent cosy size, fan in hot weather, and well maintained but all that has changed. Our room has a threadbare carpet, tiny windows, and a bathroom that was not quite as wide as the small bath was long. Added to that, there was no fan and when we asked for one we were told variously that it should have one but they were all in use, they didn't all have one, new ones were on order and they couldn't get any. Because of this, we got almost no sleep.

Breakfast (at Rack's in the basement) was always good value but since our last stay 12 months ago it has all changed. Everything is charged for individually (£2.50 for cereal, £1.60 for an orange juice) so a continental breakfast and toast could cost almost £10.

The secure parking is off road in a large garage (suitable for ~10 cars) but evidently the coded garage door no longer closes so it’s no longer secure.

Finally, at check out when we were asked if we enjoyed our stay and we said we had not, the person seemed more intent on arguing than listening. I suspect we were not given an Executive double room though we were charged for one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you feel that the hotel has gone downhill over the years and that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that a refurbishment project will be commencing this August in order to upgrade rooms most in need including many of the carpets in the hotel. Along side this we are constantly running a rolling renewals schedule with items most in need being constantly replaced.

Due to unusually hot weather over the last weeks we did experience a shortage of fans in the hotel and did not have enough to accommodate all guests and I would like to apologize for this. We are currently experiencing some problems with the garage door meaning it works intermittently which are being looked into and we have had several companies come to investigate the problem. In the mean time however we are still able to offer guests off street parking.

I am sorry you feel that the member of staff you checked out with was arguing and I hope that they were just trying to understand your problems and explain the cause. I can also assure you that you would not have been accommodated in a room that was not the type you booked. Should you wish to stay again in the future, when I would hope that we could restore your belief in the hotel please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you stay in one of our recently refurbished rooms at a discounted price.
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed in Clifton for one night and realized it was a real bad deal, first room (Room no 61, 3rd Floor) that was given to me was a just 9*8 feet’s or something with no window , low sealing which almost suffocated me. I immediately decided to move out of that hotel . Post which I told them either you give me a bigger room with window or I will shift to another hotel, and they gave me another room. Second room was next to the restaurant area and very inconvenient, however it was a better option than the first one and I stayed there for one night. Never seen something like that before, it was really disappointing.

Will never recommend this hotel to anyone,

Room Tip: They should demolish this hotel and build new hotel with better room size , better reception, etc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you thought our hotel was horrible and sad to hear that you will not recommend it. Also I am surprised to hear that your room did not have a window as all rooms in the hotel have windows, and many of our rooms have original features such as high ceilings and full sash windows. We aim to provide comfortable 2* accommodation at a competitive price and I am pleased that the staff were helpful in helping you find a more suitable room.
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel on a busy Saturday night. The hotel was full of stag and hen parties.

Pros:

Check in was very efficient and very friendly. The lobby area quite sweet. The bar downstairs looked nice. Good outside space for drinking, if the sun is shining. Fairly central to Clifton - in the bit which can best be described as shabby chic.

Cons:

The rooms! I had a single room - and it was really tiny (very small single bed). It had a miniscule bathroom which was just a small shower (agree with the comments below about either v hot or freezing cold) and it was more of a trickle than a shower, a loo and a tiny sink. Carpets dirty and bathroom needed to be ripped and replaced. The lift is so slow and inefficient I always took the stairs.

Overall - £58 for essentially a room smaller than most Halls of Residence rooms at the nearby university But the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and cheerful. PLEASE RENOVATE - it could be such a great little hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that there were many aspects of your stay you found pleasant, we pride our selves in providing excellent customer service which in our recent AA inspection was thought to be of a 4* level. Also we are pleased to be able to offer both a café and restaurant bar with outside seating and selling freshly prepared food.

You will be pleased to hear that starting on 5th August a refurbishment project will be commencing. This will include new carpets across much of the hotel being installed from the 9th. Should you wish to stay again in the future please do contact me directly and I will be able to ensure you stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms at a discounted price.

Been to The Clifton Hotel? Share your experiences!