“Great value for money Hotel with a unique character” 5 of 5 stars

The Clifton Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Paul's Rd | Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LX, England   |
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Great value for money Hotel with a unique character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Clifton a few times recently due to some work commitments in Bristol, the friendly atmosphere and unique vibe bringing me back each time. Staff are consistently polite and efficient and I’ve enjoyed relaxing in both the café and bar. The hotel has a refreshingly unique feel to it which you don’t get at chains and this is supported by great staff. Will stay again in future if work ever brings me back to the Bristol area.

Room Tip: If staying on Friday/Saturday night request a room a room higher up on the quiet side.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience at the Clifton and particularly that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel as we do aim to provide that unique experience when visiting the hotel. The team are also very grateful for your comment about the friendly atmosphere as this is something they work very hard to create.

We look forward to seeing you back at the Clifton soon.

The Cliton Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We arrived in the cafe that doubled up as a reception area, to wait at least 10 minutes before the receptionist finally found our booking. As we entered our room, our bath towels were beautifully folded into the shape of 'kissing swans' on our bed and there was fruit on the side table, and I thought all was forgiven. The room was very clean, although a little on the small side and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom was small but adequate. We came back late to music in the pub/restaurant below but it soon finished so didn't really effect us. Unfortunately, the breakfast is what lets this hotel down. I have never stayed in a place before where you book Bed and Full Breakfast up front, but actually all that is included is a traditional fried English breakfast and coffee. We paid £1.50 for 2 slices of toast and had we wanted cereal or orange juice we had to pay extra. The worst thing was leaving the hotel and handing in the key, to then be asked for £1.50 for two pieces of toast!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that the reviewer experienced problems when checking in as they could not find the booking for them. This is extremely unusual as normally our reception team are very efficient, and I have addressed this comment to them to ensure we don't allow our standards to drop again. It is pleasing to hear that the reviewer liked the room and I will pass on your comments about the standards of cleanliness in the room to the housekeeping team as they do work extremely hard to maintain very high standards. I am, however, sorry that you felt the breakfast let the hotel down. Because the breakfast is provided by the bar/restaurant downstairs, the pricing structure is more similar to a cafe style rather than the traditional all-you-can-eat buffet style in many hotels. However the restaurant was keen for me to stress that the quality of the breakfast provided is much higher than in those buffet styles and this is why things like toast and juice are charged extra. We do also now have a fully inclusive breakfast package available which has all the extras as part of the price so if you were to come again I would certainly recommend purchasing that package. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Clifton soon.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We couldn't find availability for our last night stay in Bath that's why we book this place to stay in Bristol for a night instead, WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!! the place is long walk from the station and it is difficult to find, plus when you reach there you may spend 10min up and down the street trying to find the hotel while it is right in front of you because the hotel do not have a sign to stay "Clifton Hotel" and the entrance is through their cafe as there is no reception!! there is one desk and 2 chairs.. we didn't feel welcomed at the check in. we were hit with dump smell as soon as opened the room door (number 33) The bed and the pillows STINK and the room was very very basic.. there was electric heating in the room and the bathroom was tiny square. We asked our room to be changed, the only option was a Twin room on the 2nd floor (number 48) it was a little bit better than the first room but had the same smell on the sheets and the pillows I had to sprey a lot of parfume to be able to lay down on them.. My boyfriend and I had to sleep separated.. We couldn't sleep until 1am because there was a party in the cafe (we were not informed at the check in that there was a wedding reception that night) the room was by the busy road plus the upper room had creaking floor.. This place is a cheap hostel, it is not a hotel. We feel cheated and robbed as we are charged £91 for 1 night stay including breakfast (served cold and tasted disgusting) they charged us £1.50 for 2 slices of cold toast!!! We will not go back to Bristol again but if you are planning to DO NOT STAY at this place spend £10-£20 more and stay in clean and comfortable place..

Room Tip: There isn't a good room!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
CliftonHotelManager, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I am extremely sorry that the reviewer seems to have had such a disappointing experience at the Clifton. It is clear that there were a number of issues which affected the guests' stay and I would like to take this opportunity to address each of them. There is certainly no question that the hotel is located quite a long walk from the train station (about 35-40mins), however I would certainly not recommend this since there are direct buses from the station to about 1 minute's walk away from the hotel, whilst there are regular taxis which cost between £7 and £10. In terms of signage there is a large glass awning outside the hotel which does say on 2 of the 3 sides "The Clifton" so I can only apologise that this was clear enough for the reveiwer. I am very sorry if the welcome they received was not up to the standards they would expect or that we would demand, and I will certainly address this to the reception team. We do have a unique reception area in that there is a cafe in the same space and indeed many of our guests do enjoy the relaxed feel which is generated by having an informal reception area, as opposed to the bland, stereotypical reception desks in many hotels.
With regards to the standard of the rooms, I am afraid that I cannot accept the reviewer's assertion that the bed and pillows in both rooms smelt as badly as has been written. Whilst it is true that, as a 2* hotel, the rooms are relatively basic in terms of decor (although an extensive refurb is planned in the coming months), the standards of cleanliness here are extremely high, our linen is professionally cleaned by an outside company and the pillows in both of the rooms the guests saw have been replaced within the last 6 months. Also the reviewer mentions there was only electrical heating in one of the rooms, and I am very sorry if there was any confusion caused but there was an extra electrical heater in that room, which a previous guest had requested, but there is also normal central heating and radiators in all of our bedrooms.
I must apologise if not enough was done to prevent noise from the bar or caffe affecting the guests' sleep, as any parties should have been finished by 12.30am at the latest and Night Porter should have ensured that any noise from guests was kept to a minimum. It is also true that the guests should have been informed about any potential party and I will address this issue to the reception team. I am somewhat surprised that the reviewer had an issue with the noise from the road, as neither of the rooms they saw are next to a busy road, indeed both are on quiet side roads where there is barely any traffic. The Clifton is located in one of the quietest areas of the city centre and traffic noise is not normally something which has caused issues in the past. I can only apologise if this was the case and would like to assure potential guests that it is certainly not normally a problem.
Finally the reviewer mentioned that they were very disappointed with the quality of the breakfast. I have passed on these comments to the manager of the restaurant and he is very sorry if the breakfast was in any way cold. The quality of the breakfast is normally extremely high and the majority of our guests in fact comment on how fantastic it is. It is clear our usual high standards in this regard dropped in this instance for which we can only apologise.
I am very sorry that the guest had such a disappointing experience but I can assure other potential visitors that this is not typical of our usual guest experiences. I would urge those potential guests to give our hotel a chance, despite what this reviewer has said, as I am absolutely certain that you will have really excellent, value for money stay here.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Older Hotel in university area. Nice rooms, but bathroom a bit small. Lobby do
Unless as a coffee shop with a lot of students hanging out. Rack's Bar is downstairs. Packed with students and young professionals. great pub food. Doubles as restaurant for breakfast (which is great).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
I am pleased to read that the reviewer enjoyed their stay at the Clifton and appreciated the fun atmosphere that we try to create both here and in our restaurant downstairs. I will also pass on your nice comments about the quality of the food, both at dinner and at breakfast, to the restaurant manager.

I hope we can welcome the reviewer back to the Clifton in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed here for two nights, and read the reviews before I went, so thought I knew what to expect. The room I was in was tiny but, for some odd reason, had a small fridge in it (is this what makes it "Executive"?) which didn't even appear to work, although it was throwing out a worrying amount of heat because it was located behind a cupboard door.

The staff were fine, although I found the waiting staff at breakfast were less than efficient and were somewhat snappy, because I think they were busy. I was left waiting around for ages.

The deal I was on did not include breakfast, and I was surprised at how expensive the breakfast was, particularly since I had just come from a hotel elsewhere which charged £6 for as much as you could eat and drink. The Clifton has a fixed, and limited, breakfast menu, and charges extra for toast and for tea. They even charged me twice because I asked for extra toast, as the small portions of breakfast left me feeling hungry.

I slept really badly in the hotel, I am afraid, and left feeling utterly exhausted. The bed was uncomfortable and small and the room was horribly stuffy. I opened the window as much as I could, but the room was very small and the stuffiness never left.

The corridors in between the rooms are narrow and airless, and the one I was on smelt of stale food. I went the wrong way out of the lift on one occasion, and the corridor on that side smelt strongly of cannabis, so I guess I should be grateful that mine only smelt of stale food!

I think the rooms are so small and the corridors so narrow, because the hotel owners wanted to fit in as many rooms at they possibly could, and I also know from reading other reviews that the manager will want to respond by saying that this is somehow related to it being a "Grade II listed building". No it is not - it's to maximise profits!

The ensuite bathroom was impossibly small - it was actually difficult to get in to it and shut the door! Also, the shower hardly worked at all. It took ages to get to temperature and then kept going cold, presumably as others also switched on theirs. Even when it was running and was at temperature, it had so little water pressure that it hardly washed me!

I didn't use the cafe bit or the bar, because I was in Bristol to visit friends, but I do wonder if this hotel is perhaps aimed more at student visitors, even though the guests who were there at the same time as me were mixed, and included older people and families with children.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
CliftonHotelManager, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
I am extremely sorry that this reviewer appears to have had such a disappointing stay at the Clifton, in large part due to the size of the room and problems encountered with breakfast. First of all regarding breakfast, I have passed on the reveiwer's comments to the restaurant manager and he has expressed how sorry he is for any issues they may have experienced during breakfast. He was keen to stress that the breakfast provided is of very high quality and it is possible to have a full cooked breakfast for just £5, although if guests would like extras such a juice and toast these can be added on for a small additional cost. He has already addressed the service issues with his staff and expects these not to be repeated, although future guests should note that on weekends, breakfast can get extremely busy at peak times and so this can lead to longer than usual waiting times on the orders.
With regards to the size of the room the reviewer is right to say that my response to this issue is to highlight the fact that the building is grade II listed. We are unfortunately not permitted to make extensive changes to the layout of the building and this does mean that we have a wide range of sizes of rooms, as well as slightly narrower corridors. However, we do have thousands of guests who are very happy with their rooms and the size of the corridors, so I can only apologise most sincerely if these caused the reviewer to have a less than satisfactory stay. We are planning a major refurbishment of the hotel in the coming months and so if planning permission could be granted we would certainly look at the options regarding making some larger rooms.
Middlesex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted to be fairly close to the centre of Bristol, on a budget but with a 24hr reception (which you might not get with a B&B). The room was fairly basic although clean. The hotel had quite a nice vibe, I'd recommend it, but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
I am pleased to read that the reviewer enjoyed a satisfactory stay at the Clifton and I am particularly glad that they found the hotel had a nice vibe. We work hard on creating a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and it is good that this came across to the reviewer.

I hope that we are able to welcome the reviewer back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is in the student area of Clifton, and the cafe in the entrance is suitably bohemian. The buiilding is old, and the rooms comfortable if a bit small. Excellent breakfast, friendly staff, very good service. Fresh fruit and real coffee in the rooms, definitely worth visiting. Lift to all floors which many old hotels do not have.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
CliftonHotelManager, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Clifton and that the distinctive design of the hotel appealed to you so much! I am particularly glad that you found the service to be so good as the team here work extremely hard to give the best service possible. I have passed on your comments and they are all extremely grateful.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Clifton soon.

The Clifton Hotel Team

Been to The Clifton Hotel? Share your experiences!