“comfortable, charming quiet location within city” 5 of 5 stars

Downs Edge
and 1 more site!
You added Downs Edge to your Saves list
Downs Edge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Saville Road, Stoke Bishop, Bristol BS9 1JA, England   |
Ranked #32 of 66 Bristol B&B and Inns
emily falcon
“comfortable, charming quiet location within city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

came for a days business in bristol and stayed for a night at downs edge. The rooms were really comfortable and full of character. Its in a great location with fantastic views over the park and the food was excellent. The host and hostess were very welcoming and i will definitely recommend and will stay at this lovely family-run establishment if in bristol again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

The house is situated in a lovely part of Bristol overlooking the Downs. I was made to feel very welcome and had a very comfortable room. The breakfasts were excellent and I will certainly stay here again.

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Suffolk - England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I can only assume that the other reviewers on this page stayed somewhere different to myself. I stayed here for 3 nights whilst on a training course and my 4 colleagues were here with me. The house is in a great location on the edge of the downs and a few minutes walk across the downs to Whiteladies road and all the restaurants etc.
We stayed here because we had had such bad experiences in other nearby guesthouses. The hosts were friendly and welcoming. Admittedly access and parking is a little tight, but I have a large estate car and didn't have any problems.
My room was large, comfortable bed, immaculately clean en-suite and well stocked with all you could need. Also a TV with every channel you could want. This is obviously a family home with many family photos, pictures and heirlooms on display. Obviously if you prefer the anonymity and sterility of hotels then this would not be for you. The best bit though is the breakfasts. These are individually prepared and beautifully presented and taste fantastic. Philippa is an excellent cook and her passion for good food is highly evident. It is expensive at £60 per night for a single room, but I guess that is just Bristol prices.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night here and were glad to leave.

The only accurate thing about the website is the external shots, The hotel is in a lovely location on the Downs and it's just a short walk to some OK restaurants.

On arrival we had the breakfast menu thrust at us and had to make a decision there and then. We were then led to the next door house where our room was. The entrance to this building was very musty, obviously not given a regular airing.

The room itself could be lovely. It was the Garden Room, so was large and light with great views of the lovely garden. But:

Room:
- the furniture is an odd selection of non-matching 1960's pieces, which reminded me of the sort you find in poor quality rented student accommodation.
- the bedding is well past its best. I do believe it was freshly laundered but it was threadbare and the sheets were stained with years worth of God knows what. This alone would have had me booking out if we had been booked in for longer.
- the most bizarre plate of complimentary toiletries: head ache pills, indigestion tablets - a clue as to what to expect for breakfast - and sanitary towels.
- A really old TV with just terrestrial channels. We may have been spoilt at other places, but for these prices you expect Freeview these days.
- the 'information folder' was full of out of date leaflets, like a festival programme from 2005, a restaurant menu (no address) from 2002. Nothing useful like a map of Bristol or how to find local restaurants.

Shower room:
-The only way I can describe the shower is to liken it to a caravan shower. It has plastic sheeted walls with black mould round the grouting, and it's tiny. Admittedly I am 5 months pregnant, but my husband is very slender and even he had trouble turning round in it.
- we'd been allocated 1/2 a roll of toilet roll for our stay
- the towels were like the sheets and had obviously put in 20 years of service, we were lucky to be left with any skin whatsoever.

Breakfast:
- We were surprised that breakfast was to be at a large shared table with other guests. My husband is a bit grumpy in the mornings and we'd much prefer private table for eating. Having said that there were only 3 other people there at the time, and we did have a nice chat with them so I guess it's personal choice as to whether you like this arrangement or not.
- We'd both opted for the continental breakfast. For the two of us, this comprised of one piece of brown and one piece of white toast, each cut into four with the crusts removed, plus a croissant each. I was surprised that hubbie didn't pick up a croissant until he gently nudged me and pointed out the green mould on the top and bottom of each croissant. How long past the sell by date must they have been to develop mould? How can someone serve mouldy croissants in a wicker basket without noticing? Sitting at a table with people who had already finished their continental breakfasts, we didn't like to make a fuss but on leaving I did go into the kitchen to show them and suggest they take better care of the food they serve.

Customer service:
We should have known what the level of customer service would be like when on booking the room my husband asked 'does the room have a view' only to be told 'well of course, all rooms have views'. Nice. Anyway, as well as the menu thrust up the nose welcome, when we went to check out, our host opened the door and said 'You'll want your bill then'. No 'Did you enjoy your stay?' I guess they know the answer to that one. Their laughable marketing leaflet talks about their experience in five star establishments, but they are either deluded or are just past the point of caring. They treat guests with utter contempt.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Downs Edge? Share your experiences!