“Comfortable stay in good Clifton Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Washington

You added The Washington to your Saves list
The Washington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 -15 St Paul's Road | Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LX, England   |
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Bristol
Welwyn Garden City
“Comfortable stay in good Clifton Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night in a single room. Room fairly small but fine for my needs as I was expecting to be out most of the time and was really only after somewhere comfortable to sleep . ModernTV, good tea-making facilities, ensuite bathroom so all essentioals there. Great location for Clifton (restarants, bars, bridge etc), University, and Park Street. Hotel appears to be quite an old building and probably not a purpose built hotel, so some narrow corridors, odd steps etc so may be not best if there are accessability requirements and could probably do with a bit of modernisation\redecoration but not really an issue for me. No issue with noise when I was there. Car park at back a bit tricky to get to (there is a narrow lane around the back of the hotel) and £6 per day fee - but public parking generally not that great in that area from what I can see - so I was happy to pay and use it. Breakfast extremely good and efficient service. All staff very friendly. Price seemed good for that location - I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear "WelwynTraveller",

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Washington on Tripadvisor - as a small, independent Guest House we really value all feedback greatly.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return to stay with us when you are next in Bristol. I have passed your kind comments about the staff and the breakfast in particular onto the teams involved during our weekly meeting.

As you pointed out in your review, the Washington is an old building and you are correct, was not designed to be a Guest House originally - it is 4 buildings knocked into 1. This hopefully explains the odd staircases (which add to the character of the building I like to think!) and narrow corridors. We are able to allocate rooms according to need, however, so if any future guests are reading this, please do give us a call/email and we will do our best to accommodate you.

Once again, many thanks and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Joanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
DEVON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Travelled to Bristol for overnight stay at The Washington. Staff we met were lovely as was the breakfast in the Morning. Our Double room was spacious and clean. The only negative thing was the noise from above. Hardly any sleep, due to the fact you had doors banging whenever anybody came in. Didnt help room was next to staircase. Ceilings above could do with soundproofing. All we could hear from above was what sounded like somebody stomping back and forwards constantly. Anybody who has stayed in room 10 will know what I mean. Other than that ok.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "GEORGE3Devon",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington on Tripadvisor - we appreciate all feedback as it helps us improve our service for future guests.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a disturbed night's sleep when you stayed in December. Room 10 is our nicest room and we normally only receive positive comments from guests who stay there. I have checked the noise levels in the room and have discovered that the door closer on the fire door outside your room was not working as effectively as it might have been and that there was a creaky floorboard right outside as well. Both of these things have been corrected by our maintenance team - I'm very sorry that they were not discovered prior to your stay.

Soundproofing is an issue that is difficult to correct in such an old building but I have asked my House Manager to ensure that there are no similar creaky floorboards in the room above room 10 to limit any future noise problems.

I was, however, delighted that you found the staff to be so friendly throughout the Washington and have passed your kind comments on to all concerned. I do hope that you would consider staying at the Washington again in the future if you found yourself to be in Bristol.

Kind regards
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Before booking accomodation for the night of the 12th December 2012 I checked that the rooms were properly heated and was assured that they were. I booked a room for one person at a rate of £66 bed and breakfast for the one night, as I was breaking my journey to South Wales for a funeral. The weather was freezing in Bristol that night, I was allocated room 30 next to a shared bathroom and toilet. The location is excellent and the staff were friendly, my room was a twin room and none to warm but I turned up the radiator and went out for the evening. I awoke at 1230
to discover the central heating was off and the room was freezing. I woke about every two hours
throughout the night, the heating was still off, but at 6.30 it was switched on again. The cooked breakfast was very good but as an OAP I had been looking forward to a warm night's sleep
which I didn't get. I won't be staying again in the winter. Michael Torpy

Room Tip: Avoid room 30 it is very cold, possible people using the adjacent shared bathroom and toilet may hav...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear "Michael T",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - I can assure you all feedback is learnt from and used to improve our service.

I'm very sorry that you had such a chilly night with us and that you felt that you were given misleading information prior to your stay. As you rightly pointed out, the heating is on timer overnight but our staff have the ability to boost heating at any point if required. It became evident after reading your review that more training was needed in this area - this has now been carried out and I am satisfied that such a lapse will not happen again.

I have also checked the room myself and found that the window had a draft from it. I have now had this corrected by my maintenance team so am confident that room 30 is now a lot warmer than it was. I am sorry that these mistakes were not corrected prior to your stay and that we couldn't provide the good nights sleep that you needed prior to a difficult day.

Should you wish to visit the Washington again, please contact me directly and I will arrange for you to be upgraded into one of our nicer rooms by way of an apology.

Beziers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Don't be put off by the rather tired paintwork in the corridors and stairs, my room (#33) was clean and warm and the reception staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms are laid out in a maze of corridors and there was no en suite toilet in the room I had - which is to be expected - the price was very reasonable and since I was leaving for the airport early (04:30), I could not expect more. The tea & coffee making facilities in the room were excellent and there was even fresh fruit there. The bed was comfortable and the linen fresh. The partition through to the next room was wafer thin and I could hear their television better than they could, but when they turned it off, all was peaceful and I slept well. I would recommend this as good value, no frills accomodation for a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see it before accepting?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear "DrDavidT",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington - as an independent Guest House - all reviews are important to us.

I'm pleased that you found your stay to be good value for money - indeed you picked up on some of the things we are most proud of at the Washington. We aim to provide good value accommodation to any traveller and, therefore, have a selection of rooms to suit any budget. Your room was a non-ensuite room with shared bathroom - these rooms are basic, but have the same individual touches that all of our rooms have (fresh tea, coffee, fruit and biscuits to name a few). They are very popular with guests such as yourself who are just stopping for a few hours on route to another destination.

I am also very pleased that you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful - this is an area that we put a lot of training and effort into, so it is rewarding to hear that that is paying off. I have passed your comments to the teams involved.

I do hope we will see you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This probably won't be the best hotel you have ever stayed in. But if you are looking for something basic, clean and save I highly recommend it. My room was small, clean and adequate. The hotel was well run and the staff are cheery and helpful. The full breakfast is well cooked and served with a smile. If you are looking for lots of amenities, perhaps this is not the place to stay.. But if you want a good, clean safe place to sleep you cannot go wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - I'm very pleased that you found your stay to be comfortable and good value for money. I have passed your kind comments about the staff and breakfast on to the relavant teams.

The Washington's ethos is to make sure that every guest leaves here feeling that they were pleased with their choice - I do hope that you would return to us should you find yourself in the Bristol area again.

Warm regards
Joanna Tiernay
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at The Washington several times. The staff at the front desk are polite and friendly. I have found good value for money for my stay. The beds are comfortable and the room is clean. There is a fruit bowl in the room and included with their tea and coffee selection in room is hot chocolate as well. Nice. I have always requested a room in the back (as I am a light sleeper) and they have always granted that request. It is in a great location for walking to the city centre or anything else you may want to do while staying in Bristol. They have sister hotels in Bristol if by chance they are full on the night(s) you wish to stay, so it is worth checking the Clifton Hotel Group site for those other locations. All are well placed for getting to city centre either by walk, bus or a quick drive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the kind review of the Washington you have posted. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and noticed some of the extras that our guests benefit from.

As you point out in your review, we are always happy to accommodate a guests' wishes where possible and I know all the staff here are very tuned into to ensuring each guest has a good stay with us.

I do hope you will return to the Washington next time you are in Bristol.

Joanna Tiernay
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My second stay at The Washington. Stayed one night on my recent Bristol visit.
The hotel is located not far from the City center and the fantastic Clifton Village. We got a big room this time and we had a good night sleep.

Really good rate if you`re visiting Bristol, the hotel itself is tired but works just fine if you`re on a budget.

Friendly staff as last time!

Do not expect anything special of your stay, but good choice for your wallet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "Haraldsenb",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington and for your positive comments regarding your stay. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you chose to return to us a second time.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you for a 3rd time!
Joanna

Been to The Washington? Share your experiences!