“Not a bad place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Washington

You added The Washington to your Saves list
The Washington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 -15 St Paul's Road | Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LX, England   |
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Not a bad place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel was in the right place for us and at a reasonable price - although this didn't include breakfast. We had to park a little way away and spaces weren't easy to find. The room was warm, comfortable and well equipped - the shower worked OK and the towels were fluffy and plentiful. However the decoration was very tired, the net curtains were torn and the large patch on the wall which looked like an old water leak from upstairs was a bit offputting. This was a pity as it wouldn't have taken much effort to have the room looking quite nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear "924Chris924",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your stay last year. I am sorry that you were disappointed by the standard of your room. As you do not mention which room you stayed in, it is difficult for me to double check that these issues have been corrected adequately. I have, however, recently performed a 'room audit' with my House Manager. The aim of this was to do exactly as you suggest - draw up a list of minor changes that could be made in each room to improve the overall standard. We are working through the items we found so I am confident that these issues will be resolved.

I am, however, pleased that you found the price reasonable - we do also have B&B rates should you wish to stay again - and the location to be good for your visit.

I do hope you would consider staying at the Washington again and would be happy to arrange an upgrade (if possible) into one of our nicer rooms for your next stay if you contact me directly.

Joanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night after a visit to the theatre, only about a 15 min walk to the hippodrome which was great, the staff were extremely friendly and we were even able to get room service at 3am, Breakfast was lovely too, with a great selection.
The decor in the hotel however needs updating, when we checked in, we were 'upgraded' to a family room as we were told our room had something wrong with it, I can't imagine what the other room looked like if the one they gave us was an 'Upgrade'...to be fair the room was clean, but was shabby so had the feel of it being dirty. Lovely fresh fruit, biscuits and fresh tea and coffee was a nice touch though.
All in all, if you'd like a cheap budget hotel within walking distance of the hippodrome area then The Washington is fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "Dush2003",

Many thanks for your review of the Washington. I am very pleased that you were impressed by the level of customer service you received during your stay and have passed on these comments to my heads of department who received them warmly.

I am sorry that you felt that your room was shabby. I have recently performed a room audit with my House Manager with a view to identifying minor changes that could be made to each room to greatly improve their look - we are in the process of working through this list so I am confident that should you return to stay with us you would find a greatly improved look in the room you stayed in.

You mentioned that you came to Bristol to visit the Hippodrome. As you mentioned, we are a short distance from the city centre so are ideally placed for a theatre visit - I do hope that we will see you again the next time one of the shows there catches your eye!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

AVOID THIS HOTEL. This is the worst place I have ever visited. It looks much, much worst than on the website pictures.
Room was small, tatty and smelly with dirt everywhere. The shower was extremely poor, very smelly and shabby, felt dirty and old. A half used soap dispenser was the only thing provided other than very average towels. The glass was dirty. The decor was dated and ugly. The blanket on the bed was inadequate, and the spare in the cupboard was felted and smelled musty. Curtains were dark gray not white with tears. Window frames were so dirty that I was afraid to touch them.
The worst thing was a huge, green mould on the wall just next to the bed. I just can't imagine how someone can offer such a room for guest to sleep. The stairwell were shabby and dirty and the decor old and ugly. The carpet on the stairs looked like 100 years old. Stairs were very soft, uneven and in my opinion very dangerous. The only reason, that I did not complain whilst being there, was that the young girl on reception was extremely nice, and I did not feel it was fair to distress her.
The Washington was overpriced with lots of hidden costs. Yes, they say that there is secure parking, but they don't say that it is £6 per night. They say that you can park on the street, but they don't say that it is very busy street and all spaces are occupied at all times. Yes they say that there is WiFi internet but it is £7 for a day.
Breakfast is much smaller than on the website pictures. In fact it was smallest full english breakfast I have ever eaten. It is server in small underground room with extremely dirty windows.
It looks for me like the owner tries to save every penny on maintance of this place. Personnel is very nice, but looks very stressed and you can see in their eyes, that they know you are not satisfied customer.
Staying in this hotel would be my worst nightmare.
NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear "Mommmo",

I am very sorry to hear that you were so unhappy with your stay at the Washington - this is not the feedback that anyone here would like to hear.

I am unsure which room you stayed in but have checked all that were in use the night of your stay to identify the 'mould' you referred to in your review. I was unable to find any that fitted this description but have asked my House Manager to perform a deep clean to eliminate any concerns for future guests.

I am sorry that you felt that our towels and bed linen was not up to scratch. We have, in fact, just recently received new towels from our laundry company and have received many positive comments about both the size and the 'fluffiness' of them. I am sorry that the ones you had did not meet our usual standards.

I am surprised to hear that you were disappointed with our breakfast. Our breakfast team have regularly been awarded prizes for the 'Team of the Quarter' for their outstanding service and food. I only ever hear positive comments from the guests who have eaten their breakfast and would have to politely disagree with your comment that it was the smallest breakfast you'd ever eaten as I often fail to finish mine on the odd occasion that I eat breakfast in the hotel. We offer full English breakfast, cereal, porridge, toast, fruits and yoghurts all for £6 per day - a very reasonable price we feel.

It is not our intention to mislead people regarding parking. We do have a secure car park, but the charges are clearly marked on our website. The free parking is on the street and, as Clifton is such a popular area, can be difficult to find. We feel that £6 is very reasonable for overnight parking in the city centre - indeed it is the cheapest in the area.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not up to scratch but hope that you would consider staying again so we can prove to you that your first stay with us was not the normal experience for a Washington guest.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

When we got to the Washington at 14:40 the room wasn't ready, so we left our luggage in lobby, when we checked in at 7pm, luggage had been taken into room which was nice. Unfortunately, the room was in the basement which is the first time I stayed in a basement in a hotel. Not really glam! the carpet is old and frayed, the paint above the bed on the ceiling was pilling off. Nice to have a small cafetiere and real coffee to prepare with some shortbread. Nice smiley staff. We missed check out time and got charged 5 pounds which we agreed to..but surely if you cannot check in on time....then you shouldn't have to pay a supplement for leaving late either don't you think? Nice location in Clifton. Hopefully there are better rooms than the one we got given.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 71!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Friday night as I was out with some friends in Clifton, and at £35 for a single room it's cheaper and a whole lot more convenient than a taxi. The location is fantastic - very near the Triangle in Clifton, so you've got all the bars and restaurants on your doorstep. I didn't park in the car park as I was trying to save money, and found free parking about a 5 minute walk away. It can be a nightmare to park in Clifton though, so I think I was fairly lucky.

The hotel itself is great, and I went in with no great expectations given the location and how much I paid. However, the staff were really friendly and when I got to my room the heating was blazing away (so no skimping there), it was small but comfortable. There was also thoughtful touches like fresh fruit, and PROPER ground coffee and a cafatiere! I wish some of the bigger hotels would do this - I despise instant coffee.

Yes the rooms could do with a little updating, but this is a budget place and the bed was clean and comfortable. I'll be back.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, and it was a nice little single room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Given it's location in the Clifton area of Bristol, this was a very cheap hotel. It is in dire need of an internal face lift to bring the rooms upto date and to an equal standard to other hotels in the 'budget' range. The staff were very friendly and informative and it has a large secure carpark (very useful in this area as car parking space is almost none existant). The single room was warm with the usual TV, but it also offered fresh ground coffee and fruit along side the usual tea and instant coffee. The hotel staff can not do anything about the noisy students walking along the road at 2 in the morning, but closing the window reduced the distraction. Overall, it was acceptable for the convienience of being close to the city centre for a very low price, and the staff were great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed in room 5 over the weekend, after seeing the Lion King at the Hippodrome.

Greeted efficiently by very friendly and informative staff, we were given the room in the basement. I remembered a review here saying something, but I forgot what the gist was.

The mattresses on both single beds were totally shot, and I swear on mine that I was almost touching the other side of the mattress. The other had a mattress topper and so was marginally better. But again the mattress was in need of replacement. The carpets were patchy, but that doesn't really bother me.

The basement room had the unexpected surprise when we opened a door in the room that was full of overflow papers, a bit like an archive. Hope they weren't confidential!

Towels and linen were great, and very well laundered. Went down for breakfast the next morning and it was really very good. A good range of full-cooked options, and the standard cereals, fruit and continental options. Quality of everything was top notch. Service was fantastic also. The staff are really a credit.

Had food down the road at Rack's. Was tasty enough and reasonable, but for a grill on a Sunday night, a huge amount of the options were sold out (including the Sunday Roast!!)

Decent stay for £45, but the basement rooms need sorting.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Washington? Share your experiences!