“A good weekend away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
South West
“A good weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times when we go to concerts. It is the heart of Clifton and plenty of interesting shops and pubs and of course the Clifton Suspension Bridge is nearby. Sadly the restaurant was fully booked so we ate elsewhere. We asked for a quiet room which we got, looking over the garden. That certainly cut down the noise on the saturday night. We slept quite well though I found the bed a bit firm but that's my personal preference. I was a bit warm too, being on the top floor heat rises so i turned down the radiator and opened the window for a bit. Breakfast was tasty, especially the eggs royal and the eggs benedict. I had the veggie full breakfast one day and there was rather a lot of pepper on it. Staff were friendly and helpful and we'd go back again.

RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and as a returning guest to The Rodney have taken the time to review the Hotel. The team was delighted to hear that you had such a nice stay with us.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village, as it really is a beautiful area, not only for a wander but there are also some really lovely shops, bars & restaurants.
I am sorry that you were unable to get a table in our lovely restaurant No4, it is always advisable to book in advance to avoid disappointment and the reception team are always happy to make table bookings along with room reservations.
I have passed your praise on to the chef regarding the breakfasts taken at the Hotel and have made sure he is a little less heavy handed with the salt & pepper!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rodney in the not to distant future.
Amy Allen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The receptionist was charming and very helpful, recommending where to go and what to do. The room was on the second floor and a twin room. It was not spacious but had all the facilities we needed. It was, however, so hot! Now I like a warm room but this was too much, All the radiators were turned off and we slept with the window wide open and it was 0 degrees outside.
We were watching TV at 11pm - not a loud programme and the reception phoned up to ask us to turn it down! I was quite miffed by this as the volume was certainly not loud at all. In the morning, we could hear the radio on in the next door room so they must have paper thin walls. The floorboards creaked a lot which you would expect from an old building, but you could hear people walking around overhead. So not the best hotel to stay in if you are disturbed by noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Rodney Hotel and for your praise of our staff. As a small, independent hotel, we hope to offer a friendly and personal service and I am so pleased you found this to be the case.
I am sorry you found the room to be too warm. We are trying our hardest to keep up with the ever changing weather but just recently this is proving to be quite difficult! I will ensure our room attendants know to adjust the radiators prior to guests arriving should the rooms be to warm and I will organize for the heating temperatures to be adjusted more regularly while the weather is being so unpredictable.
Unfortunately sometimes being situated in a listed Georgian building has its draw backs but I can assure you we are doing all we can to ensure sound proofing is improved.
Thank you again for your review and please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss any of the above details in more detail.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently went to the Rodney for my second stay, having had a good experience previously.

Unfortunately the hotel had made a mistake with my booking, and had not booked me into a room for the first night of my stay. They put me into what I assume may be a back-up room, which they use if all others are sold out, which unfortunately is extremely noisy, due to being next to some form of air-conditioning unit or boiler; so noisy that the bathroom door rattles and the floor shakes.

I found it completely impossible to sleep properly, and was left feeling entirely spaced out and exhausted the next day and sub-par the day after.

The staff were efficient at moving me into a different room for the second night of my stay, and helpful throughout, but I couldn't help but feel the room in question was not worth the £59 I was charged for it. In other respects, the stay was good, but I think that peace and quiet is one of my main reasons for booking a hotel rather than, say, a bed in a hostel, so I can't give this any more than 2 stars unfortunately.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am so sorry that your stay wasn’t up to the standards you had experienced previously.
I do apologise that we had received incorrect details regarding your arrival date which resulted in some confusion when you checked in to the Hotel.
The most important aspect of the service we offer is to ensure all guests get peaceful nights sleep, and I feel disappointed that we have failed in the fundamental area. I can assure you that I have spoken to all the reception staff regarding guest room allocations and ensuring the correct checks are completed prior to guests arrival. I am currently speaking with our in house maintenance team and General Manager to ensure the issues with the room are rectified.
I apologise that appropriate actions have not been taken earlier and has resulted in you having to move rooms mid way through your stay. This is obviously a situation we would rather avoid and I thank you for praising the efficiency of the staff despite the inconvenience to your stay.
I hope that the discount offered will go some way to show how sorry we are for the discomfort you experienced.
Kind regards
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have used this hotel on several occasions now in preference to others that I have tried in the immediate locality over a period of several years. My stay is for business purposes so usually arriving around 18:30 and departing at 08:00 the following morning. My choice is always a single room which, although small, is fully equipped with flat screen TV, CD player etc. The room has always been clean and the integral shower and toilet area very clean.
I have used the restaurant in the evening on two occasions and consider the choice of menu and quality of food to be of a high standard - it was pleasing to note that on both occasions non-residents were coming in which is always a good sign.
The staff, whether reception or bar/dining, have always been attentive and of a cheerful nature making your stay more of a pleasurable experience.
I note, from a past guest's comments, that they were disappointed about the parking arrangements. This is a building, set in an historic part of Bristol, that was built before the automobile arrived and street parking is the only alternative. The hotel does have a few spaces outside of the premises for parking (but get there early as on a 'first come, first served' basis) and the on-street parking in the area is plentiful but note that there are wardens between 08:00 and 18:00 so a 'lie in' may be disturbed!!
I stay frequently in London in similar hotels and wish I could find the quality and standard there for the same price!! - and parking? Forget it!!

Room Tip: Front or rear makes little difference as the street outside is not noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review wonderful review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Rodney Hotel and have continued to return to us.
Our team is extremely focused on providing the best possible service in all areas. I have passed your kind comments on to all the staff who were delighted with your feedback.
We look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Booked through booking.com. Travelling from the continent for the holiday, so had a full car. Although had specified that parking was required, in fact there was none left (the hotel has a few spaces in the front, and apparently doesn't reserve any) so were advised to park on the street, some distance away. This meant moving more stuff into the room than we'd planned. The room had been stated to be 'large' on the confirmation letter: in fact there was room for a double bed and 2 people standing up. So the extra luggage didn't help. Also no soap for the sink. Little things, but they make a big difference when you've driven for 12 hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, and check how big it is!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing The Rodney Hotel, I am terribly sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your stay with us.
As stated on the websites, we are unable to reserve parking due to our limited numbers and I do apologize that on arrival we were unable to supply you with a space directly outside the front of the Hotel. We are looking in to changing our policy which will enable guests to pre-book our spaces as we understand that in cases such as yours a guaranteed space would be preferable.
As a listed building our room sizes do vary slightly from floor to floor and we do always try to allocate room depending on the needs of our guests. We are always happy to move guests rooms on arrival (availability dependant) if necessary.
With regards to the lack of soap in your room, this was an oversight by a member of our housekeeping department and I have spoken with the member of staff and House Manager to ensure more stringent checks are made prior to any room being made available for guest use.
I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused by this and also by the lack of parking. I am working hard with the team to ensure these issues are rectified.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you require any additional information.
WESTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Due to the wintery weather this last weekend leaving transport severley disrupted in the bristol are my wfe and i made a late booking on Monday 21st January to enable her to keep a very early appointment on Tues22.
We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel was very centrally located in clifton and although just off a main we spent a very quiet night, no traffic noise though we were in the front of the building.
The hotel was very clean, reception efficient and friendly the room though not large was mor than adequate, with tea and coffee mading facilities not only with prepacked sachets but with a bodum for proper tea and ground coffee fruit and buiscuits were in the room.
An unexpected overnight stay was very pleasant a ggod nights sleep in a very comfortable hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review, I’m glad you found our hotel welcoming and in a handy location in the centre of Clifton Village. It is great to know the fruit and fresh teas and coffees we put in our rooms are appreciated by our guests. I will also pass on your comments to our lovely reception team as our customer service is of the up most importance to everyone here at The Rodney.

I hope to see you visiting us again in the near future.
Ruthin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel whilst visiting my daughter who's at the uni. I was surprised to find I was allowed to bring my two small dogs and that they could stay in the room which was so handy! The rooms are great with everything you need, not the largest but perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, I didn't have quite enough coffee in my room and as soon as I mentioned it extra was brought to me by a smiley young receptionist. Overall, a great hotel in a great location - well worth a visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m glad you found our pet policy useful and you enjoyed your stay here at The Rodney. Our staff are always happy to help with any enquiries or requests so I’m glad you found them to be friendly and efficient.

We are very lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village surrounded by wonderful shops, bars and restaurants. I do hope we see you again at The Rodney and thank you for taking the time to write such positive feedback.

Been to The Rodney Hotel? Share your experiences!