“Business overnight stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Bristol
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“Business overnight stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have used this hotel on several occasions now in preference to others that I have tried in the immediate locality over a period of several years. My stay is for business purposes so usually arriving around 18:30 and departing at 08:00 the following morning. My choice is always a single room which, although small, is fully equipped with flat screen TV, CD player etc. The room has always been clean and the integral shower and toilet area very clean.
I have used the restaurant in the evening on two occasions and consider the choice of menu and quality of food to be of a high standard - it was pleasing to note that on both occasions non-residents were coming in which is always a good sign.
The staff, whether reception or bar/dining, have always been attentive and of a cheerful nature making your stay more of a pleasurable experience.
I note, from a past guest's comments, that they were disappointed about the parking arrangements. This is a building, set in an historic part of Bristol, that was built before the automobile arrived and street parking is the only alternative. The hotel does have a few spaces outside of the premises for parking (but get there early as on a 'first come, first served' basis) and the on-street parking in the area is plentiful but note that there are wardens between 08:00 and 18:00 so a 'lie in' may be disturbed!!
I stay frequently in London in similar hotels and wish I could find the quality and standard there for the same price!! - and parking? Forget it!!

Room Tip: Front or rear makes little difference as the street outside is not noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your review wonderful review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Rodney Hotel and have continued to return to us.
Our team is extremely focused on providing the best possible service in all areas. I have passed your kind comments on to all the staff who were delighted with your feedback.
We look forward to your next visit.
Kind Regards
Amy Allen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Booked through booking.com. Travelling from the continent for the holiday, so had a full car. Although had specified that parking was required, in fact there was none left (the hotel has a few spaces in the front, and apparently doesn't reserve any) so were advised to park on the street, some distance away. This meant moving more stuff into the room than we'd planned. The room had been stated to be 'large' on the confirmation letter: in fact there was room for a double bed and 2 people standing up. So the extra luggage didn't help. Also no soap for the sink. Little things, but they make a big difference when you've driven for 12 hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, and check how big it is!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing The Rodney Hotel, I am terribly sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your stay with us.
As stated on the websites, we are unable to reserve parking due to our limited numbers and I do apologize that on arrival we were unable to supply you with a space directly outside the front of the Hotel. We are looking in to changing our policy which will enable guests to pre-book our spaces as we understand that in cases such as yours a guaranteed space would be preferable.
As a listed building our room sizes do vary slightly from floor to floor and we do always try to allocate room depending on the needs of our guests. We are always happy to move guests rooms on arrival (availability dependant) if necessary.
With regards to the lack of soap in your room, this was an oversight by a member of our housekeeping department and I have spoken with the member of staff and House Manager to ensure more stringent checks are made prior to any room being made available for guest use.
I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused by this and also by the lack of parking. I am working hard with the team to ensure these issues are rectified.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you require any additional information.
Kind Regards
Amy Allen
WESTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Due to the wintery weather this last weekend leaving transport severley disrupted in the bristol are my wfe and i made a late booking on Monday 21st January to enable her to keep a very early appointment on Tues22.
We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel was very centrally located in clifton and although just off a main we spent a very quiet night, no traffic noise though we were in the front of the building.
The hotel was very clean, reception efficient and friendly the room though not large was mor than adequate, with tea and coffee mading facilities not only with prepacked sachets but with a bodum for proper tea and ground coffee fruit and buiscuits were in the room.
An unexpected overnight stay was very pleasant a ggod nights sleep in a very comfortable hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review, I’m glad you found our hotel welcoming and in a handy location in the centre of Clifton Village. It is great to know the fruit and fresh teas and coffees we put in our rooms are appreciated by our guests. I will also pass on your comments to our lovely reception team as our customer service is of the up most importance to everyone here at The Rodney.

I hope to see you visiting us again in the near future.
Ruthin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel whilst visiting my daughter who's at the uni. I was surprised to find I was allowed to bring my two small dogs and that they could stay in the room which was so handy! The rooms are great with everything you need, not the largest but perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, I didn't have quite enough coffee in my room and as soon as I mentioned it extra was brought to me by a smiley young receptionist. Overall, a great hotel in a great location - well worth a visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m glad you found our pet policy useful and you enjoyed your stay here at The Rodney. Our staff are always happy to help with any enquiries or requests so I’m glad you found them to be friendly and efficient.

We are very lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village surrounded by wonderful shops, bars and restaurants. I do hope we see you again at The Rodney and thank you for taking the time to write such positive feedback.
Hengoed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Its located in a very nice area. A few nice pubs and restaurants nearby, great for a couple. We stayed here because it was near the zoo, which the hotel got the tickets for us saving us £6. The hotel itself has a nice homely feel to it. The staff were great and helpful.

The room itself was a fair size, very clean and nicely furnished. However i couldn't get the shower to come on. So i went down to reception and they gave me a key to a new room to use the shower in there as they didn't know what was wrong. As i was leaving the room to check out i noticed the power switch was outside the room, but the switch was inside in the other room i used to shower.

Apart from that it was a great stay, and will be a first choice when staying in that area in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear “Dale S”,

Thank you for your review of The Rodney, positive feedback is so motivating for the whole team. I’m glad you enjoyed our location in Clifton Village and found The Rodney homely – as a small, boutique hotel we try to offer a warm and relaxed atmosphere.

I would like to apologise for the issues you had with your shower, I have looked into this matter and as we have two new members of staff they were not aware the shower fuses were outside of the room. All our staff are now aware of this so thank you for your feedback.

I hope you visit The Rodney again in the near future and please keep an eye on our website for more packages we offer in the area which can save you money.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We got a laterooms deal so weren't quite sure what to expect. It's a small, independent hotel in Clifton village. A nice area and an attractive, quirky hotel in an atmospheric old building. Staff very friendly and helpful, nice touch with fresh fruit and real coffee in the room. Room service breakfast as the restaurant was being refurbished. Service was friendly rather than slick. An oddity is that the staff aren't allowed to use the internet, so we we weren't given information on a local attraction we were interested in.

We got one of the few car parking spaces, so this could be difficult at busy times. Had to pay £6.50 for the night - reasonable but I don't like this Ryanair approach to extras. Add it to the basic tariff or at lest tell people in advance.

We'd stay there again, if only for the excellent Indian restaurant, the Thali Cafe, down the road

Room Tip: No lift so only able bodied people need apply
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay at The Rodney, as a boutique hotel we are glad you valued our quirky and independent nature. Customer service is of huge importance as we like to provide a warm welcome to all out guests so I’m glad you found our staff friendly and helpful.

Parking and wifi is a small extra cost so that we are able to keep our rates so competitive and we are not charging those guests who do not wish to use the facility.

We hope to see again at The Rodney very soon and thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. I will pass on your comments to the team.
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

after being booked into a sister hotel I was called and told they had overbooked and could I stay here. In town on business for 1 night so did not matter where I stayed. The staff are all young, pretty ladies who are unfailing polite and helpful. However they are let down by the lack of training from the management team. They cant complete the simple tasks of checking guests in or out.

The room was ok but on the third floor, be warned there is no lift so not for the infirm. Poor water pressure in the shower. Thanks to the night porter who opened the bar for me as I did not finish working until 1am. needed that beer :-)

Room Tip: No lifts so request your room crarefully
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Rodney, I’m glad you found our staff polite and helpful. Our customer service is hugely important at The Rodney and we always try to go out of our way to ensure every guests needs are met. Therefore I would be very interested in talking to you in more detail regarding the issues you had checking in and out. We are continuously training our staff to try to better the efficiency of our service, so feedback is extremely useful in order to focus our efforts.

As we are a listed Georgian building we are unable to fit a lift, however we are happy to take requests for room allocations and can offer rooms on the ground and first floor if required. In future, please do not hesitate to ask for this.

Please call 0117 9735422 in order to chat about your experience in more detail. We hope to see you again at The Rodney in the near future.

Been to The Rodney Hotel? Share your experiences!