“Really Nice Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
New York City
“Really Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Booked the Rodney on an overnight business stay in Bristol. Though in Clifton, off center, it is near enough to everything.
It is a lovely small hotel. The entrance is surrounded by a small front park of sorts ( to big to be a lawn too small to be a park) which is charming, and when the weather is good they serve both there and the back lawn which is charming and quite lovely.
The staff is truly friendly, helpful and in every way a delight. I was a bit worried reading the reviews, but it was really better than fine.
The room is very small indeed, with a bathroom even smaller. The TV was not really meant to be used in any great degree as there were very few channels and those they had were with poor reception.
Wifi very functional and 4 p. per ro
The breakfast was ample, and the public rooms were small though practical.
Fruit, and water glasses in the room as well as tea and coffee service.
One might say this it the perfect mid to low range boutique hotel. Would stay there again and would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have passed your kind and positive comments on to the team and we all sincerely hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

I have had our maintenance department check the TV reception through out the hotel and this has now been improved greatly. I do apologise that this wasn’t rectified during your stay.

Once again thank you so much for your lovely review.
Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

To start with the hotel looks quite nice from the front, and if you want to stay in Clifton (which you really should, Clifton in general is a lovely place!) it's in a prime location. There were plenty of restaurants and deli's right on the doorstep, we had a walk to the Zoo which was 15-20 minutes away and on a sunny day is a nice walk.

Inside the hotel we were greeted warmly by the reception staff who seemed happy to help, it does seem to be girls in their early 20s mainly running this place. I think the overall warmth made up a bit for some of their mistakes, i.e. trying to charge for car parking when we didn't drive at check out time, we did tell them when checking in also that we didn't drive, not a major issue but just lacking some attention to detail.

The room itself was reasonable, not the biggest and a tiny TV by todays standards, a little 15" LCD on a rather large wall. It wasn't spotless but definitely acceptable, mainly just a bit vintage looking. One major issue with the room we had which was downstairs was that there was no mobile phone reception at all, we had both three and o2 phones which turned into £500 paperweights in the room. I did purchase the wifi though which worked OK down there, 6Mb down and 0.5Mb up for anyone who is interested, and £4 for the day (24hr), it did get cheaper if you were staying longer, I think £8 for a week if I recall correctly but we were just there for a night.

We got breakfast with our room which was served from 8-10am, I have a feeling the waitress was about as hungover as we were though as it wasn't the best service ever. She was nice enough though and we were good humoured about it, I did feel a little sorry for her as the couple of women next to us were really rather rude with their complaints, on the other hand it did take over 30 minutes to get a fry-up which is pushing it, the croissants were lovely though. The breakfast was also good quality apart from the sausage, which seemed to have way too many herbs and a strange texture, perhaps low meat content, could use a little better portion control as I ended up with about a spoonful of beans.

Overall it had good and bad points, I'm not sure I would recommend it at the price we paid which was around £90 including breakfast, it's not far off but £70 would have been more reasonable. A lot more character than a chain hotel, but a bit rougher round the edges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review of The Rodney Hotel.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of the beautiful Clifton Village and to have everything with in walking distance is a real positive for guests that haven’t visited Bristol before.
We are in the process of training new members of staff and I am pleased that you found the welcome to be warm and inviting. I will ensure additional training is undertaken by all our staff to iron out the small operational issues you experienced.
I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager regarding your experience with breakfast and the quality of the food served. I apologise for the wait you experienced and thank you for your understanding. The Restaurant Manager has spent some time with the breakfast team to improve efficiency and service, and I have spoken to each member of staff individually regarding this matter.
I can assure you that we take the training of our staff extremely seriously and would like to thank you for highlighting the areas we need to improve on.
If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your stay further or any future visits to Bristol, then please do call me 0117 9735422.
Hertford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked a double room for one night having read the reviews on here - unfortunately hadn't seen the most recent one, which corresponded with our stay more than the others! We were given one of the rooms in the Garret, very small, no view - very steep stairs and no one offered to help with our bags. Although the room and bathroom were spotless, the door was only undercoated and not painted and was covered in black marks. There was no drinking water provided, if you wanted water you had to buy it from the mini bar - pretty poor show. There were no toiletries provided, only a body/hair/clothes universal hand wash fixed to the shower wall. Although there was a nice touch with three pieces of fruit in the room, I would have preferred a bottle of water.

Positives were the friendly receptionist, very clean room and comfortable bed.

Breakfast the next morning was a disappointment - very young, unfriendly waitress who could barely murmur a good morning. We ordered breakfast and were brought burnt toast - we asked the waitress if she could bring us more, no apologies from her, actually she didn't speak at all! Music in the breakfast room was loud and a strange choice for 8am - David Bowie! I love Bowie but it was a little weird for breakfast, we were just waiting for Leonard Cohen to come on next. The unfriendly waitress was gathering plates, dropped a napkin - cheap paper ones - so kicked it with her foot - nice!!
Such a shame as I was looking for a hotel that I could stay in on a regular basis as my daughter is at uni here, however, it will not be The Rodney.
This hotel could be very good, great position, lack of parking a pain, but I did manage to park free in one of the side roads. I agree with the last review, staff too young, seemingly untrained and obviously don't enjoy their jobs. Certainly wasn't made to feel valued here at all.

Room Tip: Rooms very small - ask to see the room before you check in
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you found our reception staff to be friendly and the room clean and comfortable.
We are unfortunately unable to add a lift to the property due to the listed nature of the building but we are always happy to allocate or change room allocations depending on the requirements of our guests.
It is a requirement that all guests are asked if they require help with their luggage and I can’t apologise enough that in your case this protocol was not followed. I have spoken to all staff members about the importance of this.
We do run a rolling program of renewals for all our bedrooms and we are currently having all our bedroom doors repainted in light of your comments.
I have had a meeting with the Restaurant Manager regarding the service you received during breakfast and have held additional training for all staff members. The levels of service our guests receive through out their stay are of the utmost importance to my self and the restaurant manager and I will be monitoring the service levels carefully to ensure this area is improved.
As a boutique independent hotel, we aim to employee young, vibrant and enthusiastic staff and we take the training of our staff extremely seriously. I am very disappointed that the service you received was not of the standards we require and I will be speaking to this member of staff regarding this matter.
I would like the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your stay so please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735 422. I would love for you to return to The Rodney Hotel so that we may show you the best we have to offer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner arrived very late due to traffic on the m4. Once arrived, we had difficulty parking as no space left in front of the hotel, but the night receptionist very smartly groomed told us to hang on whilst he moved his car so that we could park in his space. As it was our first time in bristol, we asked where would be a good place for a drink. The receptionist recommended a nice cocktail bar on white ladies road and said to mention his name to the bouncer when entering the bar, he must have been well known there because at the mention of his name the bouncer signalled a bar staff and took us to the VIP area where we were offered 2 free drinks. Anyway back to the hotel, lovely room, really clean and relaxing. And lovely reception girl in the morning. All in all great experience, great hotel and great location.

• Stayed September 2012
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am delighted with the levels of service you received from Gui, my night receptionist. It sounds like you had a brilliant night out as a results and I am thrilled his knowledge of the local area (and staff!) were helpful. I have passed your comments on to him and he was delighted.

It is always our hope that guests stay and feel they have received value for money and have enjoyed their stay and as a small independent hotel all guest feedback is extremely important.
I’m so glad you enjoyed Bristol and I hope we can welcome you back to The Rodney Hotel in the future.
Kind regards
Surrey UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Firstly, let me say that I travel extensively and stay at a huge variety of hotels and guest houses, so my review is not made with any bias in respect of Rodney House.
I stayed recently with 7 associates whilst on a tour of the UK. The rooms were nice and the hotel location was ideal for our visit. The problem started with check in. I needed a twin room amongst the group and the hotel said they were full and the room had been booked as a double. This may have been the case as it was booked on our behalf. I offered to pay to have one of the 2 guests into another single. However, on being told they were full and couldn't change the room for a twin one of our group overheard the front desk answer two phone calls, and telling each caller that they had only one room left. The rooms next to my room were not used at all during the night, so quite clearly the staff were dishonest and were misleading the public.
The next issue was with the bar in the evening. Upon our return at about 10-45 we went to the bar, bought a round of drinks as we were saying goodbye to 2 of our party. At 11.30 we were told that the bar was closing (it's a hotel!!!) and we had top leave the bar. We asked if we could stay and talk as there is no other lounge in the hotel, but were told that there had been an incident in the past (not with us) and rules were rules. We decided that there was no other area to relax, so we went off to bed. In the morning, we had a fairly early start, and wanted to get breakfast at 7.45 but were again told that we would have to wait until 8 am when the restaurant was open. Again, our request to sit in and wait at the tables was declined. We ended up leaving and having breakfast on the road because we were quite annoyed at the attitude of the staff. (the girl in the bar the previous night was actually very nice, and very apologetic, it was her boss who had made up the rules)
The building and rooms were quite nice, but the staff were rubbish. Young girls trying to run a busy hotel with no management skills at all. We will never stay here and I would advise others to look elsewhere if you want some good service. We spent about £30 buying breakfast elsewhere purely because they couldn't make a simple decision. Sadly, this was recommended to us, but I shall ensure the person recommending does not do so to others;

Room Tip: Don't expect to be given much help
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry about the misunderstanding of not being able to add a single room to your stay. I have spoken to the receptionist and unfortunately her understanding at the time was that you didn’t want to pay the extra to have another room added to your booking. We were full in everything but the one single room and therefore could not offer you a twin room which was her understanding of what you did want. We are sorry about the misunderstanding however, I can assure you when we have rooms to sell we do want to sell them as there is no benefit to us in keeping rooms empty.

As explained at the time we do allow residents to drink in the lounge area next to the reception 24 hours a day but for the convenience of our guests who want a quiet night we don’t allow people to drink the bar itself all night.

Breakfast is served from 8 am at the weekend and you were offered a place in the bar next to the restaurant while the buffet was being set up so that you would not be inconvenienced by the staff working around you. The breakfast room wasn’t set up by 7.45 if it had been we would have let you in then.

We pride ourselves in offering excellent customer service and we are really disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your experience here with us however, I hope now that you’ve had a clearer explanation of the reasons behind our decisions at the time you can see they were made in the interest of giving the whole hotel the best service we could offer.
Best wishes,
Dornoch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at The Rodney for a week on business and couldn't fault a single thing. On arrival late Sunday evening I was offered refreshments before being shown to my very clean and comfortable room. The staff I encountered throughout my stay here were very friendly and professional.

Housekeeping standards were far higher than I would have expected, and I stay in many large and small hotels alike whilst away from home. The food offering is very good and the service above average. Being a single guest, I usually avoid hotel bars/restaurants and breakfast service but the little bar area off reception is a very warm and friendly area where I met some very friendly guests who were also enjoying their stay.

Reception staff were all excellent and made me feel very much at home. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them, and they were busy! Regretably I was not able to extend my stay due to the high demand of rooms at the hotel, and ended up in the very impersonal Holiday Inn for the last few days of my trip.

Would highly recommend for business and fully intend to return for pleasure some time in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for you wonderful and kind review of The Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you were happy with your stay and the standards of service and housekeeping you experienced.
As a small hotel we aim to offer a service that ensures both professionalism and the personal touch and I am so pleased you were impressed with this during your stay.
Your review has been extremely motivational to my whole team and I sincerely hope that on your next trip to Bristol you will revisit The Rodney Hotel.
Many Thanks
Pontefract, Yorkshire,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went to Bristol for a family party and it was made better by our stay at The Rodney.
All the staff were helpful and friendly above the call of duty.
Our room was pleasantly furnished and beautifully clean and the window opened for fresh air ( not always an option). We were at the front on the first floor, yes, there was some traffic noise but we are used to that so it did not bother us too much.
The breakfasts were excellent. There were one or two small issues ( what hotel does not) which I told the manager about and I have every confidence they will be addressed.
We hope to stay there again when we go to visit in the future when we will ask for a room at the back just to see what it is like.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of The Rodney Hotel.
I am delighted you were happy with your room and the service that was provided during your stay.
I have passed your comments on to the team who remember you fondly. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Amy Allen

Been to The Rodney Hotel? Share your experiences!